1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, Apr 2, 2009.

1. May 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I cant say too much about the 2009+ models BUT i dont see why you couldnt separate out the wires and do it yourself. Its not that hard when it comes to it.

2. May 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Ok - better question

If I were to buy a 2009 console and it didn't work when plugged in, could I still run seperate wires to it or are the circuits on the board different as to not accept the 2 pins directly to the temp sensor. In other words would I be out of luck with the 09 and have to go buy the 2008 one to do the 2 wires directly?

3. May 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    honestly - i have no experience in this BUT its exactly how i was going to wire mine if the wiring harness wasn't available.

4. May 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    Dem1

Dem1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Demi
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
    Leer Camper, Thule racks, Cobra Cb
    Pro write up

5. May 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    thank you :)

6. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    I have a quick question about this mod. I've done the research and went looking for the wires needed to do the install. I have the two plugs in the overhead console, but I could not find the plug located around the horns. I did however notice this connector shown in the photo which is sitting kind of on top of the bumper behind the grill. Could this be the connection point for the temp/direction plug?

I have a 2007 PreRunner DC automatic if that is any help.

Thanks!

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Thats got something to do with your airbags. I tried to do this mod with another member and the plug wasnt there! Im not sure what causes it to be and not to be (considering this member had the same model as mine exactly). Sometimes you have to run your own wires.. it wouldnt be hard, just irritating.

8. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Thats definitely part of the SRS system, dont touch that unless you really know how the system works. Anything encased in yellow is SRS for future reference.

9. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    thanks for the replies! looks like I'll be running my own wires :(

10. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    its not hard, just a pain. Good luck!

11. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
    :D ohh.... So that is what that thing was.... I moved my horns, and that thing too... Wonder how it will work not that it is behind the battery? Have to say I never look at it though... Trade it for some front seat wet okles and your double holder....

12. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    rayt

rayt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab
    My 2011 Access Cab Tacoma did not come with an outside temp gauge and compass. Will the overhead console fit in my Tacoma? If yes, where can I order one?:)

13. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you already have an overhead console with the sunglass holder and garage opener then it's a direct swap. If you don't have an overhead console at all then I am not exactly sure what is involved.

Don't try to order one unless you want to pay $1000 at your local Toyota Dealer. Try to find a used '09 or newer one on this site or ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Apr 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    This is a great thread and well written instructions. Id like to add some pics and another access option for some who are having a hard time locating the temperature sensor located behind the horn under the hood. There is a plastic cover located above the radiator behind the horns that can be removed. You can see this cover in the 3rd picture of the OP's original instructions. By removing this cover I was able to gain easy access to the sensor plug. Be careful when removing the plastic plugs as they can be fragile. In the third picture you can see the sensor plug in the center of the picture. In my case it was taped to another wire with a single strand of electrical tape. once the tape was removed I was able to reach the plug and snap the sensor into place. Hope this helps. :D

Temp1.jpg
    Temp2.jpg
    Temp3.jpg

15. May 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I just pulled off my console for the hell of it, and I see two plugs, one for the lights obviously, and the other is plugged in behind the garage door compartment. Is this the one for the compass? I have a 4 cyl. prerunner. Should I also have the sending unit under the hood? thanks.

16. May 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    Yes, the second plug is the plug for the compass and you should have the plug for the sending unit under the hood too.

17. May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    rayt

rayt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab
    Does anyone have a grey overhead console for sale that will fit into my 2011 Tacoma that has the compass and overhead temperature gauge? I have heard anything 2009 and later will work.

18. Aug 3, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I didnt see much by searching, what are those of you with 2012's doing for Temperature read outs?

I have a Gentex GENK30 mirror that i removed from my last truck. My plan was to install this into my 2012 Tacoma. the installation of that mirror is pretty involved.

I have a 2012 Access V6, i understand in 2012 Yota started using the mirror for display from the factory... have any of you had success installing either overhead console or mirror into your 2012's to get this info? maybe there is a better, more clean option than wiring in my aftermarket mirror?

19. Aug 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help finding the sending unit for a compass. I just ordered an overhead console, but before I did I made sure I had the wires for the compass and temp behind the console. I was just reading the write up and checked my truck for the sending unit wiring behind the radiator. I looked everywhere, and found nothing.i see the wires behind the horn, but no plug. Is there somewhere else I can look? Or how would I add my own wires? Thanks.

20. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    also had the same problem as you. I didn't have a plug for the ambient temp sensor. ended up running my own wires from the 1C connector. check your 1C connector. located on the fuse box driver side. the connector is right next to a red fuse. check pins 1&3 top left-down. if it's not connected to anything that means you just have to run your own wiring.
    275E01B6-2EBF-4A0E-83B3-688168E653F9-447_8369e98bca7e42a12168444ff71f9415e9cf69e7.jpg

TRDSport10 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top