1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to know rear shocks need replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vtframer, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sep 18, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    vtframer

vtframer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 Extended Cab, 4x4 Manual Trans.
    I've recently bought an '01 4x4 Ext. cab with 157k miles and I think the rear shocks are original (they're blue and faded). I've noticed that when driving down dirt roads if we hit washboard the rear end becomes scarily out of control. Also, when on the highway going over over passes where there's a joint between the bridge and the road the rear tends to hop - terrifying at 70mph, especially if its on a curved section of road. Will new shocks help or is it just the nature of these trucks for the rear end to be so unstable in these situations??

2. Sep 18, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It'd be a good idea to replace them. The shock is there to dampen the leaf springs to keep it from compressing or decompressing too quickly. It sounds like new ones would fix your issue.

3. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    Could be springs as well. Springs make big bumps feel softer, shocks make the truck less wobbly. A shock-less rear end will be much softer than a spring-less rear end.

4. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    vtframer

vtframer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 Extended Cab, 4x4 Manual Trans.
    cool - what should i reasonably expect to be the cost to replace springs and shocks? I'm fine with basic shocks, I don't need super high-end ones. This is my first truck so I have no experience with this...

5. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    It's very likely your springs are also shot as well if they're equally old and original. Weak springs will give you terrible axle wrap over bumps on these trucks. I've had the same experience with a stock 2013 w/ only 20,000 miles on washboard. I have had a better experience now with Bilstein 5160 shocks and a new leaf pack.

6. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Get new ones all the way around. The original Tokiko blues on mine went out at about 70,000 miles. You will have more stability with new ones. But don't forget a couple things about your truck: high ground clearance + 121" wheelbase + 202" long yet only 70" wide + extra large tires that themselves can contribute to bounce on a truck that's under 4000lbs = yeah it will get pretty skittish over washboards and expansion joints etc.

7. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    The tricky thing is with replacing the rear leafs, it pretty much costs the same to get stock ride height vs lifted ones. You can pay $360 for some OME ones that lift your rear 2.5", or $440 for some OEM style ones from RockAuto.com. But then if you lift the rear you'll want to do the front as well. If you can afford it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace all your suspension but if you can't, replacing your rear shocks is a great place to start.

8. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    at 157k miles the front coilovers are going to be very tired already also...

Refreshing with a slight lift wouldn't be a bad way to go at all.

I did a 2016 rear leaf-pack + 3-leaf AAL for my 2013. It ended up being more expensive than I planned, and I think I should have gone with the Wheeler's HD leaf pack instead. If the OP wants to do something similar, I really think a Bilstein 5100 setup front and rear, reusing the stock springs and then getting a fresh OEM leaf pack or an HD leaf pack (like Wheeler's or a Dakar set), depending on his need would really be the way to go.

I was once told there's no such thing as a cheap truck... Even the cheap, high mile ones are expensive, mainly because of this reason right here, most things will need to be replaced.

9. Sep 18, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    01 ext cab didnt get the blue tokikos.

10. Sep 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I'm betting you're due for at least shocks. I replaced mine about 6 years (~40k miles) ago. I knew then that the springs were likely bad too, but limped them along with the new 5100 shocks. Just recently I got new Kings up front, but still limping along on the rear leafs, but the 5100's are actually still pretty good.

If you are at all thinking about lifting your truck, I would recommend the Bilstein 5100's (A set of all 4 from downsouthmotorsports will run ~$299 with a TW member discount). You can leave them at stock height if you want, or they can go up to 3" lift without changing your shocks. If your rear and/or front springs are worn out, you might as well get aftermarket lift springs (if you want to lift it), too. The 5100's will be good for stock height or a lift.

If you want to keep everything stock height, you can get the Bilstein 4600's. They are essentially the same as the 5100's, but aren't height adjustable, and a few bucks cheaper.

Either way, if you get shocks, just get all 4 they've ALL seen the same miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top