1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to make a relay quiet

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 2000GTacoma, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Does anyone have any idea how to make a relay quiet? I am using it to control lights but have a limited signal power. Therefore use a relay to take the load off. The relay is clicking because the lights are flashing at a high rate of speed. Idea works perfect just wondering if I could make the relay a little bit quieter. Open to ideas

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    There is such a thing as a solid state relay with no moving parts. But they are expensive. Where do you have the relay mounted? I would just put it under the hood where you can't hear it while driving.

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    yeah i know soild state is pricey. It actually in the compartment under the seat in the back where the jack would be. This is where the control box is for my lights because it can not be mounted under the hood not a sealed unit would get wet. It by itself is a silent unit. But because I want to run more lights without another box juat add a relay in. Without running a wire all the way back to under the hood from that compartment the relay would be under the seat. Might have to do that

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    ideas anyone?

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    get the cheapest sound deadening mat you can find, see if that will quiet it down,

stick little pieces on each part of the relay making a little casing for it kinda...

maybe? ahah

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    actually see if anybody on here has scrap pieces laying around from when they did a stereo install. see if u can work out a deal?

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    thanks guys i figured out how to do what i wanted without a relay. and it worked fine just i figured out another way. what im working with has a negatively switched circuit therefore positive is at the light all the time and the ground is turned on and off rapidly. just tapped into a hot wire and used the ground off the box. it sounds complicated but it works cause its running now

Products Discussed in

To Top