1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to measure rake?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MyMistress, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    MyMistress

MyMistress [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    Leveled front, TSB rear, TSB Transmission, Always on fog lights, Socked windshield / bedsides, Trimmed mud flaps, Weather Techs, 4 Extra d-rings, Map Light Mod, Avid Light Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Locked Back Window, Secret Stash Area,
    How do I measure the rake (on the truck)?

Let the bashing commence!

:help:

2. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Good question
    I think some compare the height of both tops of the front and rear wheel wells.
    But i dont think they are designed to be the same height???
    i try to use the frame as a reference to see if truck is actually level
    also go by the bottom edge of the cab, this is one point that should be level with ground.
    I have seen some show pictures of their so-called level truck look front high,
    but the the wheel wells look level.

3. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I would do hub to fender distance. Make sure the truck is on flat ground.

4. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    there is my question?
    is hub to fender distance ( great discription ) suppose to be even???
    it seems to me the rear fender is open wider for when loads are put in the bed.
    im not sure , just asking

5. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Ah, I see what your saying now. Your frame method would be more accurate.

6. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    i have even thought is the top edge of the bed suppose to be level ??
    most hoods are sloped, so cant use that.

7. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I would make sure you measure in the same place...ie your garage. then measure the same spot on the frame like people have already mentioned. You might also want to measure the demensions of the wheel well. Not sure about the tacoma but on my accord I used to have, my front wheel wells were slightly larger than the rear which cause it to look nose high when it was really level.

8. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Couldn't You use the frame. I haven't really looked, but there has to be 2 points that are level that you can measure. Also I know the frame is flat under the cab. Measure from there to the ground. Then with a little geometry you can easily find the angle and rake of the truck from front to back.

9. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    miasays likes this.
  10. Apr 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    MyMistress

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    Leveled front, TSB rear, TSB Transmission, Always on fog lights, Socked windshield / bedsides, Trimmed mud flaps, Weather Techs, 4 Extra d-rings, Map Light Mod, Avid Light Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Locked Back Window, Secret Stash Area,
    This seems to make sense. Verify level( ground to frame), Measure rake(ground to say press weld)....

All links that talk about lifting the truck talk about the measurements, but none say how. I knew TW people would!!:D

11. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    just remember you'll never know if its level until you actually do a check like the guy did in the video.

12. Apr 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM
    MyMistress

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    gotcha... thanks!

13. Apr 28, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    MyMistress

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    gjbonner... I am not wanting to go the distance and put the truck up on the tiles right, I am just verifying level ground? If I put it up on the tiles the truck would be level, but the point where I measure (say frame to ground) would still be off. Am I thinking this through right? Unless you take the measurements from the leveled tiles up........:rolleyes: What do you think?

Thanks

14. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    I would measure from ground to frame near the tires and then subtract the tile height. that should give you the most accurate measurements.then compare the front and back.

Why are you measuring the rake??

15. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    MyMistress

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    I guess I'm really measuring just the height the truck sits. I have had the TSB (4leaf) done and added 2" spacers in front a couple months ago. At first it looked level, now it looks butt low. Thought I'd measure it and see if I need to 1" AAL to the TSB to bring it back up. My concern is wear on any drivetrain mech.

You asked...(glad you did, looks like you've done plenty to your truck.. Looks good!)

16. Apr 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    well then you should be fine just getting a rough mesurement from any visibly flat surface without the hassle of checking it for exact flatness. just find a flat surface and measure front and rear.
    Also maybe measure a stock truck's wheel wells to find out what a base measurement is and then measure yours...that's always an option:)

Products Discussed in

To Top