1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: No Rear Mudflaps Protection Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hendooman, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    hendooman

hendooman [OP] The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Ok my first thread start. So bear with me...kind of a noob still.

I took the mud flaps off when I bought my truck earlier this year. I have almost 5K on it now. Started to notice some rock chips behind the real wheels, and I knew it would continue to get worse. My Bro in Law had some 3M clear bra installed on Volvo R80 and I was really impressed with it, so I thought I could buy some bulk roll and put it behind the rear tires for protection. Here is how the process went:

Buy a 12'' x 48'' bulk roll off ebay, like $25 with shipping, comes with a squeegee.

Mark up 12" from the bottom of the rear quarter and make a tape line and start making a pattern from a brown bag. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Get your pattern traced, just flip it around and you have the pattern for the opposite side.
    [​IMG]

Same for the Flair
    [​IMG]

Take it into the workshop and put on some Drive By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lay out your patterns and your clear film.

[​IMG]

Trace all pieces and cut them out.
    [​IMG]

After you get your patterns all cut make sure your truck is super clean. Get all the junk off of it because this is how it is going to look after you put the skin on it.

Mix up a solution of alcohol and water in a spray bottle. In the other bottle baby shampoo and water, only like one good pump on the baby shampoo bottle.

Spray your spots real good where you are going to apply the film with the alcohol solution to get it good and clean one last time. Then wipe it dry.

Spray your hands with the soap solution, keep your hand wet through the whole process. Peel back the 3M film, it helps to have two people, because it is hard to peel and hold it at the same time without it trying to roll back up on you. Spray truck with soap solution and lay the film in place. At this point it will be really wet and slide around real nice. Don't worry about getting it perfect it slides around great, you can get it just perfect before you squeegee it out. Once you get it in place where you want it, work out from the middle of the film and squeegee the water out. Once that water comes out it sticks! It sticks real well. So you do have to make sure it is in the right position, but behind the rear wheel it is not to technical. The alcohol solution acts as a type of activator or glue. On the corners or when you are wrapping it around the bottom of the fender it works real good to hit those ends with the alcohol, to make it seal real good.

After you do the other spots wipe it all down and you are good to go. Instant Rock Protection!

Can't even see it in this picture. Even if I have to change it every few years it is worth it, as it is super easy and cheap to fix. I went through some tar on the way to work this morning, went to the carwash over lunch and it sprayed right off.
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Nice write up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Thanks I think it will hold up real well. The paint seems thin on these trucks, I am not that hard on my vehicle and I had a good amount of chips on my vehicle already.

4. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Snipe, it was my first!! I am no longer a thread virgin!

5. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Cool write up and pics!

6. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Nice writeup dude! :thumbsup: I'm gonna try it.

7. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Thanks for the writeup, looks good.

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Good idea & great write-up.:)

9. Aug 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    Thanks, I like it, alot.

10. Aug 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Good write up man

11. Aug 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    what's a volvo R80?

12. Aug 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    3m is good but get yourself Ventureshield, The stuff is so much better that 3m actually bought the company out -lol

13. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Wow, great idea!

14. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    I've been wanting to try that stuff but I didn't know how difficult it would be to apply. Thanks for the write-up. I'm going to put it on my front bumper for starters - that paint scratches if you look at it too hard - should make bug removal easy too.

15. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Great job!

16. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks for posting, great read and idea!

17. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
  18. Aug 7, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    #Reistlehr-

#Reistlehr- AngryTacoma

Member:
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    thats awesome.i l ike that

19. Aug 7, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    badass, thanks for the write up!

20. Aug 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Thanks X10! I was thinking about doing a strip of line-x on my rocker panels but now may try this. The guy at line-x actually told me that they do this as well and to the whole front of vehicles. Interesting. I wonder how long it will last against hot and cold temps.

Products Discussed in

To Top