1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to paint All Pro sheet metal bumper

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Masada, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I just though I would share my process of painting my All Pro bumper that came non-powder coated.

I learned some helpful tips and wanted to pass them on to anyone considering this project.

To begin you will need a couple of things:
    Primer (3 cans), paint (3 cans), rubbing alcohol, rags and some kind of mask to filter the fumes :rasta:.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something that would be VERY helpful to have on hand would be this:
    [​IMG] <<<<< this will save your trigger finger from cramping up...:D

Also some kind of line or wire to hang the two side pieces and the middle section up. I couldn't imagine painting these on the ground. The lower part of the bumper is too heavy to hang in my opinion and I didn't need to do it.

To start, make sure you inspect the bumper for any bent pieces from shipping (UPS was a little too rough on the package) see below for details on fix.

[​IMG]

Next either lay everything out or hang it up and clean the surface with the rags and rubbing alcohol. This will ensure that no oils, dust or dirt is left on the surface of you bumper when you go to the next step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all the surfaces are clean apply a couple coats of primer, I used rustoleum self etching primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the primer is dry, I started applying light coats of flat black paint from Krylon.

[​IMG]

A couple more coats and everything start looking like this before it drys.

[​IMG]

I let it sit for a day and then assembled everything and put it onto the truck.

The final product looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you get a run, it's ok don't freak out (like I did) it will sand down when it drys. I used some wet sand paper that I had laying around (200, 400 and 600) to sand it down and then smooth it out.

If your bumper comes with some bent flanges, you will need to correct them before you paint. Luckily, my dad had an aluminum block and I used a sledge hammer to just bend the steel back into place. If there is more sever damage to the bumper from shipping, I would suggest that you call All Pro for a resolution. Mine wasn't that bad, so I took care of it first. Just make sure you take pictures before you correct anything.

Clear coating the bumper is NOT RECOMMENDED. I tried to do this and it ended up being a nightmare! I had to sand the clear coat down and repaint the bumper with just flat black.

When it comes to painting, keep your strokes smooth and in the same direction always, this is where the grip comes in handy. Also make sure you don't move to fast or you will get a blotchy looking paint job. The paint should be allied evenly throughout the entire process. Let it sit 20-30 minutes before applying additional coats.

I also didn't get the install instructions from All Pro in the packaging, so call and ask them to send them to you in an e-mail. That way when it comes time to assemble, you will know what you are doing.;)

Well there it is, I hope this thread helps someone if they plan on buying the non-powder coated sheet metal bumper from All Pro.:)

This is one awesome bumper and I would recommend it to anyone who want's some heavy duty protection when off roading or just a more aggressive look.
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    loredoarturo

loredoarturo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wht 07 TRD 4x4 Dbl Cab
    285/65 R18 Black XD Diesels 18x9, 3 inch toytec lift
    nice write up i am going to try this myself

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Nice write-up.
    If I may ask, what was the issue with the clear coat? I just recently painted my toneau cover frame black and added clear coat, but did not have any issues. In fact, with the clearcoat being so thin, I don't really see any benefit in doing it either, but at least there were no issues. I would like to know what you experienced so I can be on the lookout next time, since I am planning on doing more painting soon.

Thanks.

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

You can ask all you want but he aint gonna answer.....:devil::devil::devil:

Products Discussed in

To Top