1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to quiet (dead quiet) a moderately lifted 02' 4wd advice needed.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bodhi armor, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Oct 17, 2016 at 11:52 PM
    bodhi armor

bodhi armor [OP] 02’ Dbl Cab- "The Luck Dragon"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Dbl Cab Jade Green
    Good info! Thank you.
    I've decided to keep my 1st gen for at least a few more years so Im WAY upgrading the suspension in a couple of months.

Soon to come-
    -Energy suspension hyper flex bushing masterset $160
    -Total chaos $750 or camburg $650 UCA's (advice welcome)
    -King coilovers $950 or Fox 2.0 non res coilovers $850 set @ 2"-2.5" (advice welcome)
    -Fox 2.0 Rear shocks $260
    -New dakar 1.5" lift leaf set $400

Im optimistically hoping to have it all installed for $600-$700.

99SuperTaco4x4 likes this.
  2. Oct 18, 2016 at 5:28 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    If I may suggest the following as these are the parts I went with while IFS:
    1. ICON 2.5 CO's set @ 2.25"
    2. Total Chaos UCA's
    3. ICON 2.0's for rear
    4. Deaver 8 pack
    5. Remove front sway bar

If you have a plate bumper & winch, go with a set of 650# springs which the ICON's come with.

As for the expense of the labor to install, save that, put it in your parts and do it yourself. You can have all of this installed in one day in a garage, or take your time and use the weekend.

Good luck.

3. Oct 18, 2016 at 6:22 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Did you Icons come set @2.25 from where you bought them or did you adjust them to that? If you adjusted them to that, what's the measurement of threads showing? I have mine set @2.375" of thread as that is what Icon says is the measurement of threads not to go over. Also what are your measurements from center of hub to inner fender well? How much lift do you have in the rear of the truck? I have a 1.5" AAL. I also have Camburg UCA's. My Icons are the ext travel coil overs also.

4. Oct 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM
    Ritchie

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    Sicyota04,
    The extended travel ICON's were preset @ 2"... I cranked them up due to the weight of the bumper and winch.
    I no longer have IFS so I cannot give you any measurements for the front.
    As for the rear, I have the Deavers and a pair of All-Pro 1-1/4" lift shackles. As the leafs have settled, I now have approximately 4" of lift in the rear. My truck does sit level.

5. Oct 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Ok thanks. If they're preset at 2" I measured them when I first got them and they had 1.5" of threads showing and like I said I have 2.375" of threads showing. So that's just over a 2.5" lift I have right now then right? I have a TG bumper and my truck is a DC if that means anything. I'm going to shoot for 2" of threads showing equaling a 2.5" lift.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. Oct 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    bodhi armor

bodhi armor [OP] 02’ Dbl Cab- "The Luck Dragon"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Dbl Cab Jade Green
    I would LOVE to do it myself, but i have zero experience with ball joints.
    Also specialty tools and a lot of patience are apparently required to replace all the bushings, neither of which i have.
    I was quoted $600 to do the bushing replacement. Since they will have to remove all the parts im replacing to replace the bushings. I figure it shouldnt be extra labor to install the new parts instead of the old stuff.

I use my double cab as a daily driver. I frequently drive 200+mi highway, i also regularly travel old logging roads and wide open fields so i want a true high quality "do it all" setup with emphasis on pavement performance.
    Ive asked the question King vs Icon vs Fox coilovers on several threads / websites and the consensus seems to be King for superior ride quality.

Youre one of the 1st to strongly reccomend Icons. What was your trucks primary use? Why Icon over King?
    Thanks for the help

7. Oct 18, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    Ritchie

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    Honestly, I went with ICON's due to the summer madness sale ORW was having at the time.
    The 'kit' included the CO's, rear shocks & AAL. I no longer have any of these items on my truck.

I recommend ICON as I have been to their shop, spent 4 hours touring the facility while my CO's were being rebuilt and converted to extended travel. Great customer service and the guys were cool to deal with. I do not have experience w/ Kings although I hear from friends that have them that they are nice also, but, they've not had ICON's, so the debate continues.

My truck is a DD... wifey drives it to work every day. Now that the SAS is complete, she likes it even more as the Fox CO's and Fox rear shocks ride great. It rides better than before due to the amount of added weight and lighter spring rates.

It all comes down to expendable cash. Kings are pricey but said to be nice but I know ICON's worked killer on my truck while IFS.
    The only reason I now have Fox equipment is because ICON doesn't make CO's for the solid axle conversion.

Products Discussed in

To Top