1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to raise the seat ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ELKAHOLIC, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    ELKAHOLIC

ELKAHOLIC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB OFFROAD 4X4 Quicksand
    Icon suspension, Falken Wild Peak AT3W,s, Marshall Fab sliders, Built Right uca's, BAMF grill, Cali Raised led light, Bakflip fibermax, Husky mats, Clazzio leather
    I have an 08 access cab 4x4. I bought it last april and I still cant get use to the seat being so low as I am use to my f350. I am 6' tall if that matters . I have heard of some of y'all using washers and such to lift them. Can any one give me a better idea of how to do this? What is the best way? What do I need? :D

2. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    the seats are a little low...i wonder if anyone has done this

3. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    You could always sit on a phone book :D

4. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    ELKAHOLIC

Member:
    Edgewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    Icon suspension, Falken Wild Peak AT3W,s, Marshall Fab sliders, Built Right uca's, BAMF grill, Cali Raised led light, Bakflip fibermax, Husky mats, Clazzio leather
    some have but the threads are hard to find. Hopefully they will respond.

5. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    ELKAHOLIC

Member:
    Edgewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Nick I guess some people just like to hear themselves type. lol just kiddin:D

6. Feb 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Not a real good idea to modify the seat without major welding... putting spacers in is just asking for an ejector seat! (I design auto seats for a living)

Maybe another Toyota seat frame would fit that has height adjust (like a 4 runner or something)???

ARCHIVE likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2010 at 1:11 AM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    Seriously? You actually design auto seats for a living or are you just making that up?:D

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Seriously...I see your point. I noticed that one of the mounting points for the safety belt is to the seat frame, not straight to structure in the cab floor. So the seat is part of the safety harness and therefore carries the impact loads during a crash through the seat mounting bolts. Super dangerous fiddling with them unless you over-engineer the crap out of it by welding in new structure and bolting solidly to it.

That said, I sure do wish there was a way to get a couple more inches of seat height too. My guess is the designers made it so low to be sure to give clearance up top for your Resistol!

9. Aug 14, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Doesn't that also tilt the seat a little forward? did it make it feel strange?

If you're not changing the front mount bolts looks safer since they have an angled flange bolted into floor structure to carry the load (but I'd still be a more than a little concerned.)

10. Aug 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    You could have some steel spacers machined, but it does create that whole "ejection seat" issue. My wife has them in her Jeep - I don't like that fact but it's a "which is the lesser of two evils" sort of thing. Without them she can't see well enough to be safe.

11. Aug 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    JML50

JML50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    hugebass likes this.
  12. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    DBZ

DBZ Hunter-Gatherer

Member:
    South Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Fog lights anytime, DIY shorty antenna, carpet lined storage bins, debadged, tailgate hoseclamp, DIY washable cabin filter, AFe Pro-Dry air filter, Protecta bed mat
    You can't use those. They won't work because the front brackets for the seats are angled and those only work with brackets that mount flat.

I have searched and searched for a way to get about 1/2" - 3/4" lift out of the front of the drivers seat. Basically i would like some support on the back of my thighs. My 2006 4runner had the ability to lift the front of the seat and that is what I miss.

I have found that washers do not work on the front because of the angle the bolt needs to insert into the threaded hole. McMaster Carr has some beveled washers, but I have not tried those yet, but I don't think it will matter because you end up changing the approach angle of the bolt to the hole.

I have thought about getting some 1/2" tubing and taking the rivets out of the track in the front, welding the tubing to the track and then back to the mounting bracket, but it's really more work than I want to deal with.

mcmnos4r2 likes this.
  13. Aug 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    2007tundra

2007tundra Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013tacoma
    I just did mine today, raised the rear end of the driver seat by 1 1/2 inch. First find the same tread pattern of the original bolt but 70 mm in length or 2 3/4 inch. Get a nipple form the plumbing section of HD (3/4 by 6 inches). 6 3/4 flat washers and 2 3/4 lock washers. Cut 2 sections from the nipple, 1 1/2 each or 2" if you like. Take off the existing bolts from the rear and loose the 2 bolts at the front. Tilt the seat forward and put a 2x4 piece of wood to hold it in place. Place a flat washer on top of the hole at the floor level, put the 1 1/2 section of the nipple on top of it and another flat washer over it. Thiese 3 parts should be between the floor and the seat assembly. Then lower the assembly on top of it and insert the bolts with the flat and lock washers through the assembly hole and the other pieces and tighten. Tighten the front bolts and you are done!

14. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    padykman

padykman Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    10 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4
    Leer Shell Outlet plug in cabin
    did the 6 washer thingy today and the initial feel is good. 6'0" 240 lb's. I have always felt that my rear thighs were trying to wrap around the front edge of the seat.

15. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Try firestone air bags.

16. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    gthupman

gthupman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB Super White Offroad
  17. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Try a seat pad first. Get a really comfy one with lumbar support and all that and you'll be higher and more comfortable.

18. Sep 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    gthupman

gthupman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB Super White Offroad
    i used three washers (dont remember size. take bolt to lowes) under the rear seat mounts. worked flawlessly. three seemed to be a happy medium where the seat sat level and took pain out of legs but didn't put your head through the roof either. with three washers the original bolts have enough threads left to still grab a sufficient amount.

19. Jul 16, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    MotoMoose68

MotoMoose68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Strut Spacer and block lift, w/33" tires on custom wheels.
    I too feel like the front seats sit too low in my 2014 Tacoma. There are two things I notice:
    1. With a slight lift on the truck, I want to use the factory step bars, but when I step up on them and try to sit in the seat, it's like I'm sitting down into a Corvette or something. Honestly hurt my knees when I tried it.
    2. I am comfortable in the seat, but don't like the how low the view is over the dash. When driving and wheeling, I like to sit higher in the cab to get a better view of the road/trail.
    Lately, I've been thinking it might be easier to get in the truck without the step bars. This has it's drawbacks, since I use them to reach the top of the cab when washing the truck, and they look good and give some rocker protection. I would love to replace them with Amp Research electric step bars, but $1300 is an awful lot to spend.

Has anyone looked at spacing the seat up on the top of the adjuster, instead of where it bolts to the floor? On older cars and trucks, the adjuster/seat riser bolted to the seat, then bolted to the floor. If it is possible to shim between the adjuster and the seat, then the tilt/angle of the seat would not be affected the same way as adding spacers to the rear floor mount. Thoughts?

20. Jul 16, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮

Products Discussed in

To Top