1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to remove scuff/scratch marks on paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by vivica89, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    vivica89

vivica89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD PreRunner Double Cab
    I have backed out of my driveway and got too close to the palm trees and now my truck has 6-8 inch scuff/scratch marks on the side of my truck. Scratch isnt too deep, but you can see it's a light scratch with black scuff marks. Can I use Nevr-Dull polish on the paint or is it just for chrome? What is a good stuff to use?

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Go real light with a polishing compound, and then a good coat of wax...Autozone or someplace like that has scratch remover but I am not sure if they work. Make sure to get polishing compound not rubbing compound. Good luck and check out the detailing forum. Pics are always welcome!

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    gray shadow

gray shadow Member

Member:
    phoenix az
    Vehicle:
    off road 4x4
    stubbs sliders,defiant light bar,piaa lights, all pro plate rear bumper, roll lock bed cover,ready lift.scangauge trd exhuast
    sorry to hear about your scratch, If it's not through the paint i have had very good lucky with a product called quixx scratch remover its pricey but works good and goes a long way you can buy it at wal mart the cheapest place i found it good luck

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  5. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Before polishing compound, I would try some Scratch-X, Mequire's Ultimate Compound, or the Quixx mentioned above. These are micro-abrasive and are less abrasive then polishing compound. You should try the less abrasive products first before moving on to the more abrasive.

Note that you may need several applications of the micro abrasives to get good results.

6. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I've had very good clay bar and wax after that...you may give that a shot first.

7. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    First off, you have three layers of product on your truck. Primer, then base coat - the paint, then clear coat.

The suggestions are spot on. Using a compound you can try and rub out the scratches. I agree with the suggestions that you start less agressive and move towards more agressive if things are not working.

If the compounds do not work, then I would try to buff it out with a machine polishers - careful if you have never done this before.

Lastly, if this has never been done before, you can wet sand the clear coat (there are plenty of steps here that I am not covering when wet sanding), and then buff that out. With factory clear you will probably only get to do this once. If you have scratched through the clear coat, all is not lost as you can reshoot the clear and get that to blend. If it was so bad you had to paint then AFAIK you have to shoot the whole part since it is metalic.

Disclaimer: I am not a pro, but I have painted my bike using HVLP with pearl and metalic and it looks pretty damn good - you can see it in the motorcycle section.

8. Aug 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    TR3 works pretty good. You can get it at any auto store. I've gotten many scratches on the sides of my truck (and plastic part around mirrors) from bushes on narrow trails and this stuff never fails.:D

9. Aug 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Regretless Rob

Regretless Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chino CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Painted my stock rims black and polished my lugs, New jvc head unit with 2 12" subs with shut of switch, Side mirrors tinted, FULLBLOWN FM-74267 muffler, In dash wiring for my Garmin 750 GPS & 3Gs Iphone dock with aux plug and charger in dash, Three more cigarette lighter plus under my head unit also in dash, strobe head lights for the hell of ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qumylyXOig,
    x2

10. Aug 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    vivica89

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD PreRunner Double Cab
    Thanks Bobo

11. Aug 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    vivica89