1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How-To: Replace OEM Antenna (in-fender)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yoshio, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Aug 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    Tacoma_SR5

Tacoma_SR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    I replaced the antenna today, did you guy put any treadlock on the bezel nut? I just tighten it with a screwdriver and its pretty solid but just wondering if you guys did the same thing and it came loose or something.

2. Aug 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    My new assembly arrived today, hoping to get it done tomorrow if i cant extract the broken piece inside. I wasnt planning on using any thread lock but will make that decision once i get there.

3. Aug 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    I didn't use any and didn't have any problems....

4. Aug 17, 2013 at 4:23 AM
    Tacoma_SR5

Tacoma_SR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Sounds good.

5. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    Yoshio

Yoshio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Double Cab Step Tubes, 35% Tint Front Windows, Husky Mud Flaps, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Debadged, DEPO LED tailights, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Panavise In-Dash Mount, Plasti-Dipped Front Bumper Lip, OEM Front Fogs, Rear Fog Lamp, LEDs throughout, Door Sill Protectors, Color Matched Satoshi, Rear Window Security Bar, ImMrYo Rear Mirror Bracket, Added factory DTRLs & DTRL kill switch, Rear Diff Breather Mod, 17" FJ Alloy Rims, Sport shocks coils leafs, DEPO black headlights, off-road recovery hook, skid plate, BT-35 TOY Bluetooth kit
    x2, no thread lock, no problems on my replacement antenna yet!

6. Aug 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Got my antenna assembly out and new one in today. I had an oops moment while drilling out the bezel (was seized in place) and put a nice love tap on the fender from the drill :facepalm: i also broke a couple of those stupid clips so those will be replaced soon since i found out parts depts at dealerships are closed sundays.
    For only 4 years old that thing had some nasty corrosion in there. Would a thin layer of silicone around the top of the bezel help waterproof it a little?

7. Aug 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    Yoshio

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Double Cab Step Tubes, 35% Tint Front Windows, Husky Mud Flaps, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Debadged, DEPO LED tailights, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Panavise In-Dash Mount, Plasti-Dipped Front Bumper Lip, OEM Front Fogs, Rear Fog Lamp, LEDs throughout, Door Sill Protectors, Color Matched Satoshi, Rear Window Security Bar, ImMrYo Rear Mirror Bracket, Added factory DTRLs & DTRL kill switch, Rear Diff Breather Mod, 17" FJ Alloy Rims, Sport shocks coils leafs, DEPO black headlights, off-road recovery hook, skid plate, BT-35 TOY Bluetooth kit
    At the dealer now, can confirm part numbers:

90189-A0002 (grommet screw)
    75396-35020 (blue fender clip)

Will add to op when I'm not on my phone :)

8. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Do these parts apply to a 2011 Tacoma Prerunner? Need to replace the entire assembly on mine.

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    mph66

mph66 New Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Noticed a few weeks ago I was getting progressively worse radio reception. I have a Sony after-market that usually picks up stations in Boston and NY with no problem (I'm in RI). Now I couldn't even get local stations. It's winter, I don't have a garage, so the first decent day I got, I went out for a looksee.

Yep. Corroded, just like the ones pictured here. Can't move the bezel. I'm just theorizing, here, but the corrosion's immediate suspect would be the road salt here in New England, which accounts for our lovely driving surfaces and road work during summer. Well, the damn thing won't budge, the mast is flopping all over the place. It probably just needs tightening, or the connection might be loose, but you have to take apart half the f&c*!ng truck just to do what should be simple maintenance. Toyota's $4!††y design means losing an afternoon to bull$hit. I hate you, Toyota. I really, really hate you.

That off my chest, I'd like to sincerely thank the OP for this tutorial. I'm going to have to find a place to take my truck apart, or wait until spring, because I refuse to give a dime to the local dealership.

p.s. Does anyone know of a rubber grommet that would fit the hole in the fender left by the antenna, were it to be completely removed? I'm thinking that with things like Pandora and other local radio apps, if I get a new, bluetooth stereo, then my phone is my radio, and I don't need the damn antenna anymore.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. Feb 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    I need to order parts soon and would like to know if these are the same part numbers for a 2011.

11. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    Should work for 05+

12. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Can anyone tell me what the tool part number is to remove/replace the antenna nut?

13. Feb 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    Can use snap ring pliers....mine was too tight so I used a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel :anonymous:

p1zombiekiller and smcgill like this.
  14. Feb 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Can you link me?

15. Feb 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    Yoshio

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Glad you could use the write up! I hope it goes easily for you when you get the time to pull your antenna out!
    :cheers:

+1, my dealer said the parts are the same.

You should be able to use a pair of needlenose pliers, I will take a picture this evening. If it still wont come off, you will probably have to drill it, like in the OP, or use a grinder like some others.

16. Feb 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Yoshio,

I wanted to say THANK YOU so much for putting this together. I had to replace these exact parts. While I hope NEVER to have to do this again, I learned my lesson. I managed to scratch the heck out of my paint around the antenna bezel. Getting that nut off was absolutely ridiculous. I had to drill here....drill there....and here again. Finally it came off.

I forgot to order some of the orange fender clips (didn't realize they were a different size). Will go by the dealership tomorrow and pick some of these up. For now, driving around without a fender. Oh well.

To the asshole who development antenna for Toyota - I plan to slap you in the face if I ever see you. Having to replace an entire assembly because a screw broke off is ludicrous. You fail...

17. Feb 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    Yoshio

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Glad I could help!

It's a little late, but here's the easiest way to unscrew the bezel :

uploadfromtaptalk1392240129848.jpg

My pic has the screw attachment to my shorty antenna still attached, but the idea is the same.

18. Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Yep, to put a new one ON! To get an old one off....not so much...at least for me. I ended up getting the biggest drill bit I had.

19. Feb 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    Yoshio

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    I think that's the general consensus, I certainly had to go that route!

20. Mar 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    Tacotamer

Tacotamer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4 cyl.
    good write up

Products Discussed in

To Top