1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How-To: Replace OEM Antenna (in-fender)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yoshio, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Apr 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Thanks for the step by step instructions. I replaced my antenna today with parts from Camelback.Have already heard an improvement in reception, especially with HD stations. Had to drill out part #3 as despite looking ok on the outside, was basically fused by corrosion on the inside. Despite snapping some drill bits in half I finally bored it out enough to expand and come loose. The picture doesn't really do it justice.
    Sadly the drill gave my fender a nice love tap but fortunately 95% of it compounded out. Anyway, thanks again for the great write up. I was happy to finish it because this was a pain in the arse to get to. Hopefully one and done...

original.jpg
    Antennas.jpg

DRMetz likes this.
  2. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio
    Excellent write up, because you took the time you saved lots of time
    at my end. The Dealer was of little help ( NORMAL ) the parts person thought the antenna was located in the roof as per their blown up parts diagram.

3. Aug 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio
    Loved your write up with the photos. Thank you :cool:
    I had to teach the parts person how to sell me the proper body clips.
    Yoshio knows !!!!!

I now have to many radio stations Lol

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. Aug 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    Yoshio

Yoshio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Double Cab Step Tubes, 35% Tint Front Windows, Husky Mud Flaps, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Debadged, DEPO LED tailights, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Panavise In-Dash Mount, Plasti-Dipped Front Bumper Lip, OEM Front Fogs, Rear Fog Lamp, LEDs throughout, Door Sill Protectors, Color Matched Satoshi, Rear Window Security Bar, ImMrYo Rear Mirror Bracket, Added factory DTRLs & DTRL kill switch, Rear Diff Breather Mod, 17" FJ Alloy Rims, Sport shocks coils leafs, DEPO black headlights, off-road recovery hook, skid plate, BT-35 TOY Bluetooth kit
    :cheers: Sounds like your antenna was just as bad as mine!

5. Aug 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    Yoshio

Yoshio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 SW 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    Double Cab Step Tubes, 35% Tint Front Windows, Husky Mud Flaps, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Debadged, DEPO LED tailights, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Panavise In-Dash Mount, Plasti-Dipped Front Bumper Lip, OEM Front Fogs, Rear Fog Lamp, LEDs throughout, Door Sill Protectors, Color Matched Satoshi, Rear Window Security Bar, ImMrYo Rear Mirror Bracket, Added factory DTRLs & DTRL kill switch, Rear Diff Breather Mod, 17" FJ Alloy Rims, Sport shocks coils leafs, DEPO black headlights, off-road recovery hook, skid plate, BT-35 TOY Bluetooth kit
    :cheers: Glad to help! I'm surprised a parts guy didn't know about the clips, my parts guy was the one who recommended I buy them! :D

6. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    tfasbind

tfasbind Member

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner V-6
    Just replaced mine. Thanks for the drilling tip & the post (my mounting nut was a bear to get off too).
    I took off the wheel and only needed to remove 3 of the mounting grommets, my mudflap and a couple extra screws
    to get enough room to get at the antenna assembly. Got the replacement grommets at local dealer for a total of $4.

These posts sure make life easier.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  7. Dec 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    Wess

Wess New Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5 TRD Sport
    Leather Heated Seats, USA Spec iPod interface, custom XM radio installation.
    I must first start by saying thanks for the great directions. Replaced mine today and it was a battle every step of the way. If for some reason I find myself having to replace the antenna mast again, I'm trading my Taco in for a F-150! :D

Seriously though, thanks!

8. Mar 27, 2015 at 6:01 AM
    ShookTaco

ShookTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristopher
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner V6
    Camper Shell with Access bays
    Thank you for these instructions. I just recently bought a 2010 PreRunner, the truck looks great except for this bezel being all corroded. I plan on buying these parts and swapping it out in the next couple weeks.

9. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    n1dp

n1dp Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access TRD Sport
    First, thank you for taking the time to do this tread. It was a huge help!

It seems the corrosion in the base of the antenna was so bad it actually loosened the base due to missing metal.

I used a 7mm wrench to unscrew the antenna mast. No corrosion there. The photos of access inside were very helpful. Removing the glove box is easy and routine if you check you filter in there for the heater system.

I had to use pliers to pull the lower white clip, but used a screw driver for the top one closer to the connector.

Had to drill out the antenna base to free the frozen ring, and yeah, I was too aggressive with the drill and it skipped off and hit the paint. I was warned!

The hardest part was the fender well. Pulled the mud flap off and was able to save the black snap plugs on it. There were four black snap plugs I pulled out that held the fender well. The one at the top and bottom where reusable and the center two have to be destroyed by prying out; no rear access. I was able to bend the fender well back enough to see the bolt for the antenna mast, but that job in there is mostly by feel.

Nice design for assemble; the antenna base has a small hook at the bottom to help hold it in place while you fumble with the rubber cover and ring. The tang at the bottom of the antenna mast also had a similar hook to hold it in place while you put the bolt in. 10 mm socket is handy for this and for the two bolts on the handle inside.

Too bad the base is so prone to corrosion. Mine is a 2008 so 7 years in New England winter salt did its toll.

Not sure what the little blue snap plugs were for. Never saw a need for them. What did I miss?

Thanks again for all the help!

Everything went back together easy, but make sure that radio works well before you close up.

10. Apr 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    Koston78

Koston78 Active Member

Member:
    Montreal Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd sr5 offroad
    First of all I would like to thank you about this thread.

That was very useful for me and your instruction was very nice.

I change my antenna and am glad this is done I hope to not changing again because space is very limited and a bolt broke because too much rust.

It take me around 1 hours and a half to do the job.

Again Thank you for this thread

11. Aug 25, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    tar_heel_fan

tar_heel_fan Member

Member:
    Carlsbad CA
    Vehicle:
    '22 Ice Cap Double Cab 4x4 TRD OR Premium
    Thanks for the excellent write up. It made changing the antenna a breeze.

In order to prevent corrosion I would suggest using Fluid Film - http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

I have been using this on gate hinges and battery terminals for a while and used it on the reinstall of the antenna. It is a non-drying lubricant that is also a dielectric. It is basically lanolin. It doesn't get washed off by water either, which makes it great for outdoor/marine applications.

Tacosail likes this.
  12. Aug 31, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    LaHaZeR

LaHaZeR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    I signed up for this forum to thank the OP, Yoshio, for his post.... 2 years later I have just had to replace my antennae and wouldn't have known where to start without this!
    Thanks again!

13. Sep 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    Hoopbo

Hoopbo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    I just purchased a 2014 taco DCSB. Love the truck! There exists only one problem, I think. There was no antenna on the truck, so I purchased one from AntennaX. The problem is that the base is too large for the hole opening on the rig. I am assuming, after reading so many threads on this that the stock antenna snapped off. But it isn't apparent, to me anyway. I am assuming it was broken, however, I can not locate any remaining screw in the hole. Placing a wire hanger down the hole goes ~4" before I hit anything solid, again, I think. Hard to tell. So there is no way to drill a hole in the bottom. Can anyone tell me what I am looking at here?
    20150904_172135.jpg

14. Sep 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    LaHaZeR

LaHaZeR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    That round silver thing with the notches is a nut,, back it off and the antenna will fall into the fender,,so be sure you have your wheel well liner off so you can into the fender t retrieve it..

InfernoTRDPro likes this.
  15. Sep 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Of course.... now reading about the aluminum oxide line below the antenna, I have to check mine... no, it is not just dirt because I haven't washed it in about 2 years. Tiny bit of pressure and the plastic cover is completely separated from the base.

Oh well... at least it isn't a "major" problem.

16. Sep 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    LaHaZeR

LaHaZeR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    I lifted the rubber boot and found dust underneath, the metal that was there had disintegrated. Magic Eraser removed the rust marks,,

17. Sep 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aluminum oxide, to be precise.

18. Oct 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    Just like the people above me, thank you OP, this thread was a great help! I just replaced my antenna today, and thanks to your instructions, it wasn't too bad. I did have to run out to the stealership to grab some new black clips, but thankfully they had them in stock. I finally have my reception back! Thanks again! :cheers:

19. Oct 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    Great write up! I currently have my antenna stuck into my snorkel intake cause the base is all corroded and broken! hope I can replace the base. Thanks

20. Oct 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    Sommes

Sommes Active Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Mica TRD OFF-ROAD
    20151029_193801.jpg 20151025_163227.jpg 20151029_194325.jpg 20151029_193709.jpg Yoshio, dude this right up was fantastic, saved me hours of work... thanks a million. At first i thought it was my stubby antenna that was mucked but after reading this it gave me new hope. I slowly started losing local stations and couldnt figure out why. Im sure my factory antenna took a hit or two somewhere down the line which i honestly think contributed to this. That and the fact im in canada and our municipalities dump salt all over the roads throughout the winter months surley didnt help. The infamous "white corrosion stain" was a good indication i had this issue. Home made bezel tool worked like a charm.

Products Discussed in

To Top