1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Secondary Stand Alone Fuse Block Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by H2Otx, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    POSEIDON2017TACOMA

POSEIDON2017TACOMA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 toyota tacoma
    lots
    No one else notice that bad ass cover for the fuse box? I want one! How do I get one coup?

2. Jun 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    sethhowardmtb

sethhowardmtb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    seth
    Vehicle:
    2007 toyota tacoma
  3. Oct 3, 2020 at 12:32 AM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    Just doing some wiring set up and research now.
    If my understanding is right, if you use an add a fuse to power the whole fuse block, you're potentially drawing the fuse block's Max Amperage rating through that little in line fuse? Wouldn't that negate the fuse blocks ~125 amp rating?

:confused:

4. Oct 3, 2020 at 3:13 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    I think you may be confused or I'm confused about what you're trying to say. The Add-a-fuse will hold the relay closed off of accessory power so its relatively low amps. The higher power would be flowing through the switched part of the relay directly from the battery to the panel. You can choose to use an accessory power tap that will automatically turn on your aux power panel every time you turn on your vehicle or you can choose an always on power source to power your relay so that your aux panel is always on. Alternatively, you can configure a switched source to choose when you want your aux panel to be powered. Bottom line, if you want a switched source of power to power your aux panel, you'll use a relay or if you want it to be powered all the time, you'll want to use an appropriately rated circuit breaker. I hope that makes sense.

You have other options as well, if you don't know about this mega thread over in the technical forum.

-J

stealthmode[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 3, 2020 at 4:03 AM
    bodean

bodean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Crowsnest Pass, AB
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco RCSB, 16 Taco AC6MT, 07 FJC, 22 Bronco
    Following

6. Oct 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I think so... :rofl:
    My brain works better with diagrams though. Basically though I catch your last part, a relay before the panel, is the way to go to supply the Blue Sea panel (or Bussman).

I edited your post above ^^ because I think you meant using breaker? Check it out.

7. Oct 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    JustAddMud

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Sorry, I'm not really in a position to make a diagram for you so you'll have to take this piss poor description:

Fuse tap from ignition accessory (or switched source if you want to be able to toggle panel) -> pin 86 of relay -> pin 85 to ground. This is your power holding relay, when active, you have power.

From battery -> appropriately rated Circuit Breaker (for circuit protection) -> pin 30 of your relay -> out pin 87 to power panel. This is your source of power from your battery. Make sure you use the appropriately rated relay for your panel IE 150A or 200A.

Circuit breaker.
    Relay. Overkill, but you get my point. You'll want a relay if you're using switched power. I would suggest getting a relay that's rated at or above your circuit breaker. You'll want your CB to pop before your relay.

Now, if you don't care if your power panel has power with the vehicle turned off, say for example, to run a fridge or your onboard air compressor, you can forego the relay and fuse tap. It would be as follows:

Battery -> Circuit breaker -> Power panel.

*Yes, I did forget to include the circuit breaker in my initial reply to your post - sorry.

-J

Edit to add: typically, from what I've seen, people will forego the relay all together and leave the panel hot (CB protected). They will typically switch each item wired into that panel via a much cheaper relay rated for that individual circuit. I hope this makes more sense?

8. Oct 5, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    stealthmode

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:

Ok that was an awesome write up. So I understand now you just need a high current relay basically right? Similarly rated to the max amperage of the panel? Probably overkill to have it but I guess thats the right way.
    The typical relays used on these set ups are 30/40 amps relays

9. Oct 5, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    JustAddMud

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    It just depends on what you want to do really. I would personally run the more simple setup which I am planning on building myself, eventually. I'm leaning towards the Bussman RTMR relay panel though instead of this Blue Seas panel. The busman holds both relays and fuses in a more compact footprint and I'll treat it as follows; Battery -> Circuit Breaker -> aux fuse panel. I'll switch each individual circuit on my new power panel depending on what I want to do. As of now, I just need to run aux lights so I need to make sure that I account for expandability. To make it expressly clear, circuit breaker is not synonymous with relay. A circuit breaker is to be treated as a resettable circuit disconnect (think resettable fuse), whereas a relay is used in place where electrical switching safety is concerned. Like instances where you wouldn't want to run a high voltage power line through your firewall, instead you can run a much lower amperage wire connected via a switch to toggle the on/off state of the relay from a second location (say, an overhead switch panel). That way, your higher power stays closer to the source in more relative safety.

If you wanted to be able to switch your auxiliary power panel on/off from within the cab of the truck, you'll absolutely want to use a relay (in addition to a separate circuit breaker) in this instance as you don't want to run large power cables multiple times through the firewall. So in that case, you'll want to set it up like what I mentioned earlier (battery -> circuit breaker -> relay -> aux power panel). When I say switch the power panel, I am talking about the entire panel as one complete unit, like turning the entire auxiliary power bus on/off instead of each individual powered circuit (think going outside your house and throwing the main breaker to your internal breaker box). You'll rate your circuit breaker at the max amperage of your panel so if it's a 200A panel, you'll want a 200A breaker. This breaker will trip when the panel electrical draw exceeds 200A, otherwise sustained draws of over 200A could start melting your panel possibly starting a fire under your hood. If you choose a lesser rated relay than 200A in this example, your relay will fail due to exceeded power draw through the switch of the relay. I haven't looked too deep into these solid state relays, but I still wouldn't roll the dice on that, just get the right size relay for panel at a minimum (200A in this example). Large relays in this case are very expensive at ~100$ or more. With 100$ you can purchase 14 40A SPST relays and switch each circuit off of your power panel. So in this instance, running the more basic setup will be cheaper in the long run. Your auxiliary power panel will be treated as always hot and circuit you run off of that panel would be switched through a smaller individual relay for that circuit.

Below are some options you have if you were looking at building your own aux power panel.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/waterproof-power-distribution-centers/
    https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46345/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-15305-5-2-4-RTMR-Mini-Fuse/

-J

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. Sep 26, 2021 at 11:12 PM
    YanE30M3

YanE30M3 GO PATS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Yan
    Woodbridge VA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport (DCLB-BRM) - 88 ///M3 (Zinnoberrot)
    OME 887/Dakars/NV305s/33" Duratracs/+
    search function for the win!!!

11. Nov 28, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Could you give an example of say, how you'd wire up a light bar to this? I'm finally starting to understand this, but basically all of my stuff (Sound system, light bars, horns etc etc) All have inline fuse's and relay type stuff. Soooo? I'm just confusing myself to be honest, but I'd love to build something like this since I currently have about 8 things clinging on to the positive terminal of my battery.

12. Nov 28, 2021 at 8:03 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Okay, I think I just answered my own question, basically instead of running your accessory to the battery you run it to the fuse box with the needed amp fuse, and you wire everything else the same. This is just a neater, and safer option since its protected by a circuit breaker.

13. Nov 28, 2021 at 8:23 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bingo! You just attach things to the fuse panel instead of straight to the battery and then the panel serves the same purpose as your in-line fuse holder (it holds the fuse)

otherwise everything is exactly the same

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  14. Nov 28, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Fuck yaaaa. Damn okay it's going to be a huge pain in my ass to rewire everything. But could be worth it.

15. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    i8boots

i8boots Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT - 801
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC SB TRDOR JBL
    Hood/bed lights, pop-n-lock, RSI EvoA, fully custom fuse box, Husky mudflaps, white interior LEDs, Morimoto xB v2 Headlights, Bilstein 6112/5160, Sumo Springs, Meso puddle pods and overhead lights, anytime backup mod, light out in reverse mod, ac drain mod, Calirased CAT protectors, ARB Dual Air in bed.
    So, I originally (back in 2016) did a aux panel in a Husky clear plastic box. It has done really well, but I'm worried more and more that one day I'm going to have to take my truck in to get serviced or fixed and they'll need that fuse panel behind the battery and won't be able to get into it because of my box. So I've been looking at what everyone else has, and none of them really have a good solution for relays. Yeah, one or two screwed to the plate, but not if you need multiple.

Additionally, my parts wouldn't fit on the driver's side, so I decided to use the empty space on the passenger side as I'll not be getting a dual-battery setup.

So to that end I decided to go for a cleaner look, without using the bussman solution. Here's what I've got so far (still in progress).
    Also, this took 5+ hours to learn fusion360, and a week wait for OSHcut to cut, bend and ship.

PXL_20211124_212815842.jpg PXL_20211126_222147042.jpg PXL_20211128_040557059.jpg PXL_20211129_183546652.jpg

20somethingwidataco likes this.
  16. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    i8boots

i8boots Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT - 801
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC SB TRDOR JBL
    Hood/bed lights, pop-n-lock, RSI EvoA, fully custom fuse box, Husky mudflaps, white interior LEDs, Morimoto xB v2 Headlights, Bilstein 6112/5160, Sumo Springs, Meso puddle pods and overhead lights, anytime backup mod, light out in reverse mod, ac drain mod, Calirased CAT protectors, ARB Dual Air in bed.
    I forgot to show the placement photo. PXL_20211112_213409262.jpg

Norton likes this.
To Top