1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    I’d be amazed if those are original plugs

2. Oct 8, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Nic S

Nic S Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Valley Head Alabama
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 TRD Tocoma Acc.Cab 4.0
    17" Black Steel Wheels, 265/70 17 BFG KO 2, Softtopper , clamshell bushing swap
    You and me both ha ha

3. Oct 19, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    Tacos4ever15

Tacos4ever15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Tacoma TRD Off-road 4x4
    Just changed mine out this afternoon, piece of cake, just under 30k on mine, old ones were gapped between 46 and 50, slapped in a new air filter, I’m all set for awhile. Thanks to the original poster for taking the time to post this. Took me close to an hour, took my time, looking for the right tools, etc. Now it’s Miller time !!

Nic S likes this.
  4. Oct 19, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    If I read that right, it took you an hour to find your tools. If that'd been me, it'd be two hours and three Millers!

But... If you found your tools and did the job and cleaned up inside an hour before cracking that beer, I don't fucking believe that for a minute. :rolleyes:

5. Oct 20, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    Tacos4ever15

Tacos4ever15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Tacoma TRD Off-road 4x4
    Yeah, the actual job was about an hour, had read the original post a few times, watched the you tube videos, and went at it, had no problems at all, for me usually the easiest jobs can go south real quick, but not this time. Hardest one was the front on the drivers side, but even that wasn’t all that bad once I got everything out of my way.

Island Cruiser likes this.
  6. Oct 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    EKTaco

EKTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emerson
    New Braunfels, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver TRD OR DCSB Prerunner
    Avid Offroad front bar, BAMF behind-the-grill bar, 2 6" black oak single row light bars, Weathertechs, tailgate hose clamp mod, tailgate washer mod.....and many more to come!
    Finally got around to swapping my plugs out. Truck has 80k miles, original plugs were still in it. After removing them, they all gapped around .054 (that was the closest wire I had and it fit snugly in almost all of the gaps). The new plugs seem to have smoothed things out a bit.
    Used a magnetic spark plug socket with an extension on it that made life much easier. It was my first time doing it so I really took my time to make sure i didn't screw it up and double checked my tool count at the end. Took about an hour and a half. Next time will go much faster.

7. Nov 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    TacomaCZman

TacomaCZman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner 3.5L 4x2
    I noticed you didn't mention any torque value for these bolts. Just tighten them down, but don't over do it.

8. Nov 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    12 ft/bs

9. Nov 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    TacomaCZman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Would spraying a little Kroil around the plug base help?

10. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    TacomaCZman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Did all 6 plugs come out with no issues? I am changing mine this week and they were last changed by my selling dealership about 60,000mi ago. Current mileage is ~120,000mi.

11. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    OutbackHack

OutbackHack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Just did mine at 47,000 miles assuming that the previous owner (who only put 24,000 miles on it) hadn’t already done them.

Started pulling the driver side coil packs and found a surprise. One of these things is not like the other... and looks like it was cut-off using a dremel.
    56E2D421-0F62-49A1-A6B4-1C9A84AA8161.jpg
    Guess the previous owner had a shop change the plugs early, and they lost one of the origina bolts in the process.

TheDevilYouLove and CO Ryan like this.
  12. Nov 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    Those things break super easy if over-torqued. Ask me how I know...

13. Nov 16, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    TacomaCZman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    IMG_0116.jpg Yesterday I changed out my plugs. I followed chris4x4's excellent and well detailed tutorial to a tee. I went +60,000 mi. on this second set of plugs(my selling dealership did the first plug change). My mileage was 120,440. Next change will be 30,000mi or ~150,000mi.
    I was methodical. Took my time(~2.5 hrs). Others have finished much quicker than me. Since this was the first time I had done this I wanted to make sure I wasn't making any grievous errors.

I did one plug at a time. The only difficult one was the driver side front. It took a few more minutes to access. A small screwdriver + the long needle nose pliers got it done. Extensions were a must. I lubed the gaskets on the coil assembly with silicone and used dielectric grease on the boots. A small amount of anti-seize for the plug threads. Things started off on the wrong foot when the first plug fell out of my spark plug socket onto the concrete. Arg! The plugs were torqued to 15 ft.lbs. My 3/8 torque wrench would not accommodate the torque values for the coil bolts. I carefully hand tightened those. The electric tape on the extension to spark plug socket worked very well. All the plugs came out without any issues.

All in all I felt great accomplishing this relatively minor maintenance item. My chest was a tad puffed out. Changing spark plugs isn't exactly like rebuilding an engine, but it still felt good and saved me money. Thanks again chris4x4!

The old plugs were all gapped at about .050

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  14. Nov 17, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    Blain

Blain I ain't got time to bleed

Member:
    Tx
    Wait until one gets stuck. That was fun this morning.

15. Nov 18, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    Blain

Blain I ain't got time to bleed

Member:
    Tx
    Long story. I changed the plugs for the third time back at the beginning of the summer. I'm the only one that has changed the plugs and have owned the truck since new. When I got to the middle plug on the passenger side, it unscrewed about a quarter of a turn and got tight again. Uh oh. So I ended up leaving it in until I had time to tackle it. I finally decided to do that on Friday morning. Engine was cold having sat overnight and the temps were cold too. I methodically unscrewed the plug about a quarter of a turn, sprayed some Kroil in the hole and worked the plug very slowly back and forth. I worked it back and forth a couple times and then would unscrew the plug about a half a turn more than the previous time, shoot some Kroil in the hole, and leave it for about 15-20 minutes. Repeat. It took about 3.5 hours to work the plug free. It came out and the threads looked fine. I think it was a build up of using to much anti-seize on past plug changes. It's out, I'm happy, but I never want to feel that much anxiety again!

TheDevilYouLove and 14489 like this.
  16. Dec 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited
    @chris4x4
    Thanks for the detailed write-up. I read over your instructions last night and that gave me a really good idea of what I’d be up against for my rig’s first plug change (at 30.5k miles). Got the plugs changed in about an hour and a half this morning. Replaced the engine air filter and lubed the drive shaft too while I was at it.

chris4x4[OP] and NAAC3TACO like this.
  17. Dec 15, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Joey_P_1966

Joey_P_1966 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    Only one tacoma now- 2005 Prerunner SRD
    Bone Stock for the most part.
    Thanks for all the info, 178,000 with original plugs :notsure: . Old plugs electrode about gone, gap at .076. Changed out this am with NGK 1483 G-Power Platinum, its what the parts store gave me. Did passenger side and cranked up, didn't notice any issues, did driver side and cranked up kind of funny, idles at 400-500 RPM and took for a drive , stalls out unless I rev slightly at stop signs. A/C turned on helps a little, but still barely running. I had to get back home so I put my foot in it a little and it ran great in the middle RPM range, I think I may have yanked too hard on the PCV vacuum hose , it was cracked all along the top before, after folding out of the way I may have cracked it on the inside of the sleeve. Gonna replace it with a piece of 3/8 hose in the morning ( replacing the PCV valve also) and see if problem goes away. Am I on the right track here? Might replace each plug on the drivers side one at a time and crank it to see if problem goes away if that doesn't work tomorrow.
    JP

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  18. Dec 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Joey_P_1966

Joey_P_1966 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    Only one tacoma now- 2005 Prerunner SRD
    Bone Stock for the most part.
    End to the story to help future folks :
    PCV and new hose didn't fix it, but I saw a few posts where driving it will help ECM reset fuel,air etc mixtures. So using the two foot method of driving to keep from stalling at red lights I took it for a drive. Went out a 4 lane city road, drove 10 miles, still stalling. Took it on the interstate for about 25 minutes, keep in mind it runs great once you get above idle RPM's. After 3o minutes of interstate driving I pulled into an O'Rillys to see if they can pull a code for me, and amazingly when I parked the damn thing it idles at 700 RPM like it should . Turned on A/C and it bumped up a tad, off A/C and back down to about 700. Put in gear and dropped to about 600, but idle smooth like it should. So, as of today, the long test drive to resetting the computer worked out for me,hope it helps someone else freaking out over a simple spark plug change thinking they caused harm.
    Joey

Badderup likes this.
  19. Jan 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    ToyoCoMo

ToyoCoMo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DP
    Banks of the Mississippi River
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Just replaced mine today. This write-up was perfect, thank you! It took me about an hour and a half, and I was taking my time.

20. Jan 20, 2019 at 5:06 AM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    You're a fucking speed demon. Takes me that long to gather up my tools and beer.

Products Discussed in

To Top