1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to take out radiator?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by achirdo, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    achirdo

achirdo [OP] I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    i was cleaning my truck after a mudding expedition and found that inbetween my 2 radiators was caked with mud and grass. there was grass stuffed in between the 2 and i cant get it out without taking out the radiator. so how do i do this?? and no i dont have the tow package

2. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Have not done this on my Tacoma, but here goes anyway.

The front "radiator" is your AC condenser. Don't mess with that. You want to pull the rear "radiator" with the coolant cap on it.

Drain the coolant. There should be a drain plug or draincock on the lower tank of the radiator. Either save the coolant or have fresh factory coolant available to replace.

Unbolt/unclip the fan shroud and hang it over the fan. It does not have to come all the way off.

Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. Disconnect the transmission lines if you have an automatic. Keep in mind you may have to top off the transmission fluid when you are done. From what I have read, these trucks do not have a trans dipstick/tube to pour the fluid into. The procedure for adding/checking is on here somewhere if you search.

Unbolt the radiator itself and pull it straight up and out of the truck.

Do not get any mud, water, etc in any of your hoses/trans lines. You don't want to ruin your transmission or clog your radiator.

You may want to search on here for a coolant filling procedure to bleed the air out of the system. Be very careful that you do not let the engine overheat when you are warming the engine up the first time. If you get an airbubble under the thermostat, it can stick shut.

Like I said, never done this on a tacoma. Take your time and I recommend you read the how tos on here first. Don't get in over your head. The worst thing you can do is rush. Sorry for all the warnings, but I would get in a hurry and mess up when I was your age. I wasn't dealing with a 30k dollar truck though.

Products Discussed in

To Top