1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by genxer36, May 23, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    SpaceBalls

SpaceBalls Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco trd
    3" block lift 33" BFG's AT
    try installing a oil catch can. might stop all that junk from getting in there in the first place!

2. Oct 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
  3. Nov 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    jeratbp

jeratbp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    I decided to do this today since I was also changing my spark plugs.

Great easy to follow write up, thanks for the pics too.

4. Nov 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Ok, finally did this today, MAF and TB cleaning. Thanks for the excellent write up. I left the MAF in per the write up, but actually took my TB completely off to make it easier to clean. The biggest PITA about this whole project was getting the two hoses off the TB after unclamping and moving them out of the way. :D

Few things I noticed: The side of my TB closest to the engine, was black black black. I mean damn. After re-assembling everything, my truck started right up. Didn't struggle or sputter to get going at all. There was a some white smoke coming out of the exhaust though. Took it for a quick drive, and acceleration was fine and seemed greatly improved. Smoother and more responsive. But my idle is around 750 RPM. I did undo the negative battery cable during the whole process.

I fully expected after doing this that my idle would be higher, my truck would initially have trouble starting the first time, and acceleration would be lagging at first, similar to what others where saying happened with them. Did I perhaps do something wrong or miss something?

Another thing I noticed, when the TB butterfly is in it's neutral resting position, there is a very slight gap at the top and bottom where air could slip through. It's very very small though. You can physically push it completely closed, but it opens back up when you let pressure off. Not sure if this is normal, first time I've looked at a TB up close.

5. Nov 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Chris C

Chris C Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD DCB
    Engine at high idle is normal. Sometimes it takes a few hours of driving before the idle returns to normal. By disconnecting the battery the computer is reset to a certain degree, so it takes some driving to allow the computer to reprogram.

I later found that if you don't like the way your truck is idling or shifting (which can change whenever you disconnect the battery) that removing and cleaning the MAS sensor is the remedy. It's really easy to do and the sensors are in a casing, so unless you stick something in the casing or drop the whole thing it's not going to break. REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST before you remove the MAS sensor. Spray it clean, let it dry and then reinstall. You might get a high idle at first, but after a couple of short drives you should notice the truck idling and shifting a lot better than before at least it did for me.

I also noticed the TB butterfly had a slight gap when closed, I think it's normal for our trucks. If you look at the pictures in the beginning of this thread it also looks like the OP's butterfly does not completely close as well.

6. Nov 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    CIAGDDS

CIAGDDS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 TRD OR
    120,000 miles and it was filthy. Cleaned it up and reinstalled. The idle is at 1700 like others and is slowly returning to normal. The engine seems to fire up a little faster and shuts down smoother. Pretty impressed. I didn't think it would do much, but it was definitely worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nov 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    mardoqueo galindo

mardoqueo galindo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marcos
    socal
    Vehicle:
    08 preruner
    toyota 20" wheels,borla double tip exaust,running boards,K&N air filter.
    one of the best writ up,thankyou

8. Dec 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    Thanks to the OP genxer36 (Sean) for the excellent write-up. Saves us members some $$ :thumbsup:

I did mine yesterday @ 41,980 mi. I highly recommend removing the throttle body to clean out the back side. It's so easy to do. Mine had light carbon build-up. Probably could've waited for 50-60k mi. to do this service. I don't know what the recommended mileage is. Maybe another member can let us know. But I'm glad I did it, just out of curiosity to see how dirty the throttle body was. For those of you close to my mileage, you can wait a little longer to do this. My truck seems to idle a tiny bit smoother :burnrubber:

9. Dec 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    I have 117,000 miles and mine pretty much looked just like that

10. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    TacosNBurritos

TacosNBurritos Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 T|X TRD
    I'm at 25K on my 2012. I'm thinking about adding this maintenance item to the 30K interval with all the major fluid changes. Thanks for the write up.

11. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Ocean's

Ocean's Well-Known Member

Member:
    haha! Thanks for the write up. It was exactly what I needed to complete the task and not blow my truck up...

It is amazing at just 55,000 miles that this would make her run so much better and smoother, and idle so nicely. It feels as if about 40 horspower has been freed up..

I didn't clean the MAF ( Mass Air Flow Sensor) but I guess I should clean it at some point?

I don't get it really, but what makes it idle so much smoother when one cleans the throttle body?

pick up your present below

:cool:

kudos.gif

12. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 [OP] Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I'm glad it helped.

To answer your question on smooth idle. The carbon build up in the throttle body and around the butterfly, causes the butterfly to stick or not open easily. Once cleaned, as you know, the idle is better. The throttle response is also improved.

13. Dec 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    tacoma crazy

tacoma crazy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Conroe,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma loaded
    The 1st time I performed the same mass air & throttle body cleaning was w/ my 99 ford ranger XLT, which was simple, cuz i didn't read the directions on both cans, BUt while idling, cleaned mass, the idle was about to dye, but hit the throttle and kept going a few more squirts to mass air sens.,, same w/ throttle body, unhooked air houseing & cleaned it while spraying mass air sensor into , It's the same spray, different name!! That being said!

Since I bought the 2011 taco, throwed away the air filter @ 5000 miles, went w/ the K&N air filter! with this filter, & maintenance on the K&N, relubeing the K&N air filter, contaminants should be minimal to the mass air sensor & throttle body, AND depending your driving climate, is it dusty,& Humid ? This is where U want to Rinse & relube UR K&N air filter more often, I do mine evry 12,000 mile Royal Purple oil change.. U might say thats too long, Not for synthetic, AND I change My wix filter evry 6000miles!!! My engines have always ran strong @ those specs. And my 99 ford is still running as it was when it was 35,000 miles!

Kinda got off the subject on the Toyota's, but wanted to stress the importance on a maintenance plan and other great products other than OEM, OEM is not always the best if You want Longer mileage or even Better MPG! I have no problems with my vehicles &/Or Equipment I have!

14. Dec 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    nrojay

nrojay Active Member

Member:
    PARIS, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    176,000 miles NEVER touched this

This was an EASY maint. job, on my agenda for every other oil change.

I noticed a HUGE difference in response
    hopefully I will at the pump.

Also I noticed the idle was high upon first stratup but it has since settled down.

TB before 1.jpg
    tb after1.jpg

15. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    cwdog

cwdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Meguiars Ultimate Wax, Rain-X, Dog Bed, Undercover Tonneau Tri-Fold, Debadged.
    Nice write up. Thanks. Question, While at the dealer on other business, I asked a tech about some auto shifting issues and during his response he mentioned that after disconnecting the battery, one "should" have the computer reprogramed as it will reset the performance perameters of both engine & tranny to factory spec's. Your thoughts or anyone elses would be appreciated.

16. Dec 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Thanks.
    Reset to factory specs as opposed to what?
    Computer needing reprograming is hogwash. So does that dealer use that scare tactic to sell batteries & upcharge a fee to "reprogram the computer"? That would be insanity if a vehicle needed reprogramming every time the battery is disconnected. I have disconnected the battery once with my 2012 & no issues. I replaced the battery & disconnected 2 or 3 times on my 2005 Tacoma with no issues.

Shamal likes this.
  17. Dec 31, 2012 at 1:15 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    :eek:

18. Jan 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    MartyDoc

MartyDoc Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 6sp Access Cab
    Awesome write up!!! Thank you for all your time and energy to post such a helpful write up!

19. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Rays08

Rays08 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Kaysville, Ut
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Crew Cab
    I have an 08 with 90K. The check engine light came on, and I have to start it twice each time I start it. Then it runs Ok. The dealer said it was the throttle body motor was inopperative. He said I had to change the whole throttle body assembly. Other than on starts, it runs fine.
    Any experience with this one?

20. Jan 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Never heard of a tb motor failure. I guess it could happen. I'm not a professional mechanic, so I have no idea. I would pose this question in your own thread. I know there are a few Toyota mechnics on tw. I'm sure someone may offer some good advice. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top