1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HP and Torque - guess I'm a cheap date

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, MK6 wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    I loaded 3 other people in my Tacoma today for a lunch run. I have to say, I love the way it drove. I honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference with an extra 550 lbs of people in it.

I say that because I'm coming out of a 2001 V6 Mustang, which only has about 40 fewer horses in it, but is geared like a sports car. I had to keep my foot in it from the very beginning to get any kind of decent accelleration, and adding a passenger killed the fun of the drive (not to mention the few times there were 4 of us crammed in there). I even used to turn off the AC on on-ramps because it sucked up some HP. Above 3500 RPM the 'stang was a lot of fun, but the thing had nothing from 40-70 mph. Basically the complete opposite of my Tacoma.

Anyway, just wanted to gush a bit about my truck. I know it's no brute compared to a full-size, but I LOVE the way it's geared, the way it hauls, and I think I'm going to be happy with my Tacoma for a long time.

K...that's it.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I came from a 03 Ranger 4.0 5 speed and when I mashed the pedal for the first time in my Taco it was just WOW.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    These are strong sixes, fettled for torque, not speed. This gives them much better punch in the range that matters...20 to 60.

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Tgor

Tgor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Florence,KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab L/B Mag Grey
    WeatherTech digi-fit floor mats, vent visiors, coming soon: Satoshi mod :-)
    no doubt I actually spun the wheels unintentionally when I was test driving it for the first time.:D

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 5Spd Xtra Cab V6
    205k+ miles, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    I was disappointed with the power of all the Ranger 4.0 5 speeds I test drove, and I was driving a full size bronco 4.9L I6 at the time.

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    I love my taco!

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    Dude, I had an 03 Cobra with the supercharged 4.6, and three additional people would kill the car.

I had 5 people in the cab of the truck, two in the bed, along with a full keg (school spirit at football games), and I hardly noticed a change.

8. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herbie Hancock
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Mostly stock for now, I have added a cb radio, various cheap mods and I plan on adding aftermarket wheels and other items in the future.
    Yeah in the torque department these V6's do a very damn good job. I usually drive around kinda slow to try to save on gas money. But every once a while I have to step on it and I always get a little shocked by the kick it has.

9. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Well at the time the Ranger made the most NA power. The first gen Frontier could only make 3 more hp with a supercharged 3.3 V6 so I passed.

10. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I phucking hate people >:(

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    I agree with all of you :D my truck really suprised me when I had 3 adult passengers. At first I thought, "oh I hope my truck doesn't embarass me on take off...and WOW she really pulled through with out a hitch :D

I finally got to test the difference between 4HI and 4Low today up a steep little incline and again WOW, it went up like a champ on 4low. It would also go up on 4HI but had a bit more trouble having to give it more gas and all.

11. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    i kept hitting the rev limiter in my 6spd taco, coming from my civic with a fully built B16 shifting at 9k all the time getting 35 mpg it was a very different feeling.

12. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I only have felt a drop in power when hauling 3 bikes at 8000 feet.

13. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 4X4
    These are strong little beasts...but no powerhouse by any stretch.

Of course, I'm tainted from a lifetime of driving V8 pickups...Corvettes...and motorcycles. :D

However...I dig my Tacoma.

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Agreed. Some people on here (and this isn't happening in this thread, it just happens sometimes) think these Tacos are monster fast.

They're acceptable speed (~7 second 0-60 is average these days), but what they do really well is *drive*. Passing goes very well. Towing/hauling go very well. They're not power monsters, but they handle their tasks with aplomb and no struggling, and I think that's the appeal.

15. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    MJF

MJF VSC blows

Member:
    Peoples republic of Kaliforniastan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport DCLB
    I am quite impressed by the Tacoma. Coming from a very fast LS1 Camaro I thought I would be disappointed driving around with no power. I am glad to say that I am very happy with the power of this truck. I test drove a the last S 10 ZR2 a few years ago and was very disappointed with the total lack of power. Toyota has done a great job with this motor, it zips around very well.

To Top