1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hub Assembly, Lug Nuts - Rust, Pricing?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SubFrozen, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen [OP] r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    Had to drill out a few of my lug bolts to get my tires off as they were rusted on so strong the lug nuts themselves sheared off at the base. I drilled them out, got the tire off, then proceeded to beat off my front drivers side rotor, eventually using the small bolt, stripping one hole and finally getting grip in the 2nd to pressure the rotor off.

From there, a press was used to try and press out the lug bolt, which didn't work. Had to beat it, hard, with a large hammer before the lug bolt broke loose and was able to pop out the back of the hub assembly.

The replacement lug bolts wouldn't fit. The corrosion was so bad, the grooves were no longer visible in the assembly. We had to use a press to get them most of the way in. The entire assembly looks like it has been sitting in salt water from day 1. This isssue is on all corners of the vehicle, the same rust look as a 1980's rust bucket next to the ocean.

The truck is a 2007 Tacoma, has 55k miles on it. Should the entire assembly be as rusted as the attached photo of the bolt that was in it (after we drilled it out and got the wheel off)? The entire assembly looks as rusted as these bolts. I also put the replacement one next to it, which, doesn't fit into the hole anymore due to the rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full size: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6900/imag0340d.jpg
    Full size: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/547/imag0341p.jpg

Should this be covered under some sort of warranty? I had to beat off the center caps with a hammer, they were practically fused to the hub assembly.

Products Discussed in

To Top