1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Huge Coyote (Whatever) Killed in MO!

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Polymerhead, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Um, our lovely Department of Conservation, for whom I usually have nothing but good things to say, completely botched this one.

Check out this link. It's a 100+ lb canid killed in MO this season. MDC takes a few hair/tissue samples and tests them. Tests come back "coyote", so it's a coyote. Done deal. Not a hybrid, not a coydog, a coyote.

Considering this thing blows the coyote weight record out of the water by OVER 25% (according to Wikipedia, I know, weak source), and it's much much more black/gray than a coyote, I'd say this is a 100% FAIL on the MDC's part. Check it out.

http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    Looks like a fail to me, coyotes we have in the south are a helluva lot smaller than that! and dont look anything like that.

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe it is a coyote with a thyroid problem.

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    chrisx1

chrisx1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 4cyl 4x4 5sp
    15x8 Pro Comp Wheels w/4" backspacing, 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Bilstein 5100's set to 2.5", URD Short Throw Shifter kit, URD rear O2 sensor simulator
    FAIL....

As we know MDC has quite a history of failing: they said there was no such thing as mountain lions here too.....till some hunter took a video to the t.v. station and proved it....
    Don't lose any sleep over what MDC says......just wait till next week, they will provide us with yet another fail.

Just do what I do, and make your grade school kids come inside the house as soon as the yard light comes on..........

5. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    Appears to me that it is a Siberian Husky.

6. Dec 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Phantom,

You're right that they said it looked like a hybrid, but that the DNA analysis said it was a coyote so that's what they were telling people for a week or two, as if the case is closed. I'm annoyed as a biologist that they would even call it a coyote based on one round of DNA analysis. It's obviously not just a coyote.
    The test don't show that it's a coyote. Tests show it has some coyote DNA. In my opinion it's a coydog, with a coyote as one parent and either a malamute or some type of wolfdog (relatively common around here) as the other. They've taken such a beating on their facebook page that now they're saying they're looking into "further tests".

And the title of the press release is:
    Hunter shoots unusually large coyote in Northwest Missouri

Products Discussed in

To Top