1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Huge job offer, want current company to match... need advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    OK, I've got a solid job with "OK" pay (or so I thought).

I was contacted by a recruiter who placed me in my current job ~4 years ago and he told me of a position with a company in New Hampshire that "wanted someone like me" and they were offering "big money" for the right candidate. This company has been trying to fill this position for over 2 years and the job is still unfilled (they had interviewed about a dozen candidates but never made anyone an offer).

Long story short, I thought about it for ~2 weeks and called them up. Phone interview went great and they immediately flew me up from VA. After a 9am to 4pm interview with about 10 different people (including the CEO) they put me in a cab to the airport and I was off.

Before 24 hours had passed, I had a job offer for just over $30K in pay more than I currently make! :eek: They also had more paid time off, a 5-digit sign on bonus and a rather weak relocation package.

I have a 15 minute meeting with my boss at my current company (the one I like working at) in the morning and I'm going to show him my offer and try to get them to adjust my pay.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated on how not to lose the job I have and get them to match my offer.

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Just lay it out honestly. If you like your job tell him so but explain its hard to turn down money. If they value you your work they may not match but have an idea in your head what it would take to keep you there. Remember money isnt everything and the grass isnt always greener.

3. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    lay it out to them, if they say no.. screw em and take the big money! also look at what it would involve in the long run though. your going to have to move, if your married, she will have to look for another job, if you have kids, they will have to get pulled out of school and find a new one.

4. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    The grass is always the same... but the pay is higher... :eek:

Pay > Green grass

5. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    dk6487

dk6487 NorCal Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver 4X4 TRD Sport w/ Tow Pack
    Pioneer Z110BT Nav/DVD H.U., Sub Box by Mr. Marv w/ amp and 10" Sub, Rear-Leaf TSB, L.E.D. Guage Mod, 3" OME Lift Kit w/ 885, Total Chaos UCA's
    X2. (except for the grass isn't greener, 30K more a year is a huge raise IMO so your wallet will be greener and that counts big in this world especially now.) You should also think a lot on relocation as well. If your not crazy about the north east that might put a damper on your new career. Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck.

6. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    It is very hard to say. Not sure if the current job you have compares to the new job offer. Are we comparing apples to apples here or apples to oranges?

If it is the same, all you can do is be honest with the company you are with and I doubt they will match your offer, but maybe give you a pay raise. Good luck! If you don't like what they say and the new job is truly something you feel good about and good company to work for, I would say go for it!

7. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    A few details:
    Wife doesn't work any more (she hung up her medical degree a few years back), kids are home schooled. Sign on bonus and relocation would cover realtor fees on my home now, but there wouldn't be much more left. The move would be out of pocket and the housing market is SLOW...

Oh yeah, I didn't even try to negotiate the first offer. I'd bet there is more "wiggle room" but I don't want to lead on the new company if my current company steps up to the plate.

8. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That's a tough call man...30K raise is pretty HUGE. A sign on bonus plus any help with relocation is all gravy.

I'm pretty sure I'd be moving if I was you...but you just gotta feel out what is right for you and yours....ya know??

9. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    It's pretty apples to apples. Same title, same responsibilities, same line of work, etc...

The help I need is the "lay it all out" advice. I'm trying to figure the best way to approach the topic w/o pissing anyone off. The last thing I want is for them to tell me "don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out".

10. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I haven't ever had to negotiate a job position like this- but I would be really prepared for that invitation to leave man. If you show them that you are looking-no matter how tactfully- they may not want to have to try to "keep" you any more.

Good news is-You have a plan B if that does happen.

11. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    A few thoughts:

- How do the standards of living compare where you are vs. where you're considering going? That $30k more per year is going to be taxed, and if this area in New Hampshire is expensive...

- Have you had a chance to evaluate your potential co-workers and work environment? Working with people that don't drive you insane is worth more money than you might think.

That said though, sounds like a very very juicy offer.

12. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    ^^^ What they've all said.
    While money is great, it is not the end all be all of happiness. If you think you could give your family a better life up north, go for it. Or if you're well established and happy where youre at, stay. Personally, I would in all probablity lay out to your boss the offer, and try to negotiate something. See if you cant get back up there on a friday to evaluate your prospective co workers and see what the company is like. From what everyone tells me, corporate loyalty is about nil, so if you can make a better life for you and yours, go for it. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

13. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    I would also find out about what the atmosphere is like in the office versus what your current is.

Also, look at it this way. In your current job you have BS to deal with. This new job will have BS too. Will it be worse/better/the same?

14. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    Also I'm willing to bet you that your current company won't match the $30k or even come close. I do salary offers and analysis all the time. It's all where your heart is.

15. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Hey, the grass may not be greener, but your wallet will be! Know what I mean? $$$$ hahaha If I was you, I'd jump at this opportunity. If worse comes to worse, you can always move back home and get your old job back.

16. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ...Based on what evidence?

17. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    Honestly i would ask for more money, Be confident and right to the point......adjust for cost of living expenses re: local taxes for home etc.......and definetely more money for re-location> moving can be expensive as we all know, Lets face it I used to hate moving across "town" when i was younger, now you have a family and possibly moving to another state....this is going to take alot of thought on you and your wife's part. What ever you do don't jump at the first offer, I am sure they have done their research before they offered it to you. I have moved all over chasing "the better job offers" but make it worth it for you and your family.....I would counter offer with more $, more $ for relocating and the 5 digit bonus should be at least 25% of your base salary> If it was meant to be then it will work itself out, either way if you take or don't accept the offer.. it always does in the end. > IMO. Remember this is going to make you or break you....don't be afraid to take the chance, they only come along once in a great while. Your current employer should be pretty understanding of your situation, be honest and up front when you speak with them..........if possible never burn any bridges that you have built in your career> I wish you the best of luck bro....this is a very tough decision you and your wife will have to decide.

18. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    RickO

RickO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab
    Intermittent wipers Alternating Turn Signals / Markers Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination mod
    Take it from an old timer, approaching your current company to counter offer is a short term win at best. Your current company will wonder how long you will stay if they meet your other offer. They will also then open themselves up to other employees taking the same approach.

I worked with a lady who did just what you are thinking about. They matched her offer, waited 6 months till the other company was out of the picture and then fired her. Smart companies do not play this game. If this new job is as good as you say then take it and move on.

19. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Whatever is better for you, if you are doing fine with the money you ar making now and are happy at the place you are in your life right now then I would say stay, but if you want more money and can see yourself moving then all power to you sir!

20. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Yota freak

Member:
    The truth is the best approach. Just let your boss know that you have an offer and you would like to discuss it with him. If he is a "good" person, he will talk to you and tell you what his opinion is and maybe give you his .02 without putting you in an awkward position. He may say, you should really take this and run with it or he may make an offer that is enough to keep you. Either way, I think you will make the right decision. You have to think about your family and what is best for everyone involved. Moving sucks but sometimes it is worth the hassle. It sounds like you are in a great position as far as the family goes with your wife not working and the kids being home schooled. That wouldn't have any bearing on my decision because they will adjust relatively easy. You need to decide if $30,000/yr. is worth going after. I already have the decision made for myself!!

To Top