1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Huge job offer, want current company to match... need advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I seriously look at housing prices and the cost of living...I believe an index exists somewhere too. That could be a BIG reason for the extra $30k.

Also, maybe try and find out why the other people they interviewed left the company.

If possible, ask if you can spend a day or two and give the job a try with the people you'd be working with on a day-to-day basis. See if any of them take you to lunch or befriend you. It sucks working with people that are friendly.

Biggest thing....look at cost of living, because $30 may be only $15 in a value-added raise sense.

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I seriously look at housing prices and the cost of living...I believe an index exists somewhere too. That could be a BIG reason for the extra $30k.

Also, maybe try and find out why the other people they interviewed left the company.

If possible, ask if you can spend a day or two and give the job a try with the people you'd be working with on a day-to-day basis. See if any of them take you to lunch or befriend you. It sucks working with people that are friendly.

Biggest thing....look at cost of living, because $30 may be only $15 in a value-added raise sense.

3. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Triumph843

Triumph843 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South Carolina
    my brother had to sit on his house for over a year, just be prepared for that if you do end up relocating. If its a small-midsize house I'd look into possibly renting for awhile until things speed up.

good luck with everything!

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I would be concerned about a few things. first of all, as some have already pointed out, presenting this to your boss says "hey, i'm looking around". even if you aren't and you were contacted by a head hunter, its still gonna look that way. so after hte meeting they may start their search for a new employee. secondly, hte offer you got from the new company is legit and they offered it because they are willing to pay it. your current company may dick you over (depends on how ethical they are). they may match what you want just to keep you and keep them from being screwed. then 6 months later once the other job is off they table they may pull a "well, due to budget constraints we are gonna have to move you back down to your old pay grade" or they may discretely find someone to fill your shoes who will work for your old salary. either way, its a gamble. on a different note, i'd be amazed if you got a 30k raise without a change in job title. they may promote you and give you a huge raise, but i doubt they would just give you such a huge bump while letting you keep your current position. just something to think aobut.

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Its really hard to say with the information provide what you're best option would be. 30k could be little to nothing depending on the changing that will occur in your standard of living adjustments.

6. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Talking to your current boss about this is reasonable. But you'll also poison your well. Quite often this just hurts your situation where you do work. Rather than go in looking for a raise, you should decide if you want the other job. If you do, great, take it. If you don't, then don't worry about this offer until review time. That's the time to pullout comparables and so on. It also demonstrates loyalty.

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    And x2. Well said. The expectation of keeping your current job without serious ramifications should be little to none, after proposing a raise due to another job offer.

8. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    New Hampshire = no state sales tax and they sell alcohol at the state's rest areas.

9. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i had to do this once. be honest of course. don't exaggerate or anything. i would begin by expressing how much you like you current job and the current employer and how you want to stay with the company and in your current area. however, a job has been offered to you with better pay and benefits. say you are very interested in this job, but felt like you at least owe your current employer the opportunity to match the offer, if they wish to.

leave it at that. see what they say. but ultimately if they do not match it, id be gone gone gone! good luck and keep us updated!

10. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    like said before. compare living expenses and what it will cost to relocate.

if at all possible have a plan "C" for if you take this new job and it falls through.

dont burn your bridges if you can.

11. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Lateralus

Lateralus Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Off Road
    Too many to list..
    Lots of great advice here.. I can only say from my experience that I had the same sort of thing happen. Working some where then got an offer with about the same pay bump to move across country..

I just went in a had an open and honest talk with the boss. But I was VERY prepared for him to say "Sorry I can't match that". Indeed that's what was said.. I thought it over for about 2 weeks, then made the move.

Haven't looked back.. Actual I have, and I'm soo happy where I'm at now!!

12. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    whens this meeting going to take place?

13. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, i would just feel uneasy bringing that to my boss. i'd either chose one company or the other

14. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    x100. $30k is going to be a huge step for your current company..(unless you make$600k per year..5%ish)

i say start collecting moving boxes.

15. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    $30,000 per year is an extra $600.00 a week. New Hampshire has no state income tax or sales tax. I honestly wouldn't think about this for too long, I'd be packing. Buy some cold weather gear though!

Edit: I noticed you have a prerunner, you might want to think about 4 wheel drive!

16. Jun 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
    New Hampshire is a very cheap place to live, and the liquor is dirt cheap, but you're gonna have to deal with the worst of New England weather.If you're the outdoor type. they have the best ice climbing and back country skiing in the east. They also have a very nice beach. Jeeze, I probably won't even make 30 k this year.

17. Jun 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    The meeting took place today.

That's kind of how it went. (It's tough to type out a 20 minute chat but I'll hit a few of the high points)

I explained the situation, how the recruiter contacted me because 2 of my coworkers had given him their resumes. I then told my boss that I really like working for him and my current company and told him that I needed his help. He then flat out asked me if I was resigning. (kind of expected that). I said no and that I was just trying to get his help in adjusting my salary to within industry standards. I also told him that there were about 4 other opportunities that a recruiter told me about and that I was only looking to see where the industry averages were with respect to my current pay.

The conversation ended with him saying he'd think about it.

The more I think about it, I'm kind of getting pissed. He SHOULD HAVE said that he values me as an employee... blah blah blah... and that he'd try to do 'something'.

I'll post back if/when anything happens. In this case, no news is bad news.

How much time should I let pass without hearing back from him before I approach the subject again? What would be a good way to bring up the subject?

18. Jun 7, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    It sounds to me like your letter of resignation should be on his desk when he returns. I know that's easy for me to say, not being in your shoes, but I don't think it's right for him to leave you hanging and go on his business trip without some kind of an answer. In the end it comes down to whether you really like this job enough to put up with knowing you are being drastically underpaid.

19. Jun 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    How long is this offer for the new job on the table?

20. Jun 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed

To Top