1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hummer sold to china

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ridgerunner, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I blame bush for all sorts of my problems, oh wait, you meant President Bush. My bad.

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    One in the bush is always worth more than 2 in the hand, oh wait, I meant the opposite. My bad.

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    China was planning on buying Coco-Cola. This was talked about during the Olympics, the Chinese heated the Coca-Cola (like hot tea) and decided Coca-Cola is not for them.

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I can just about guarantee that if Obama ( or Bush) had said:
    That the right would have ripped them just as bad. The only difference would be that they would be screaming about all those American jobs being lost because Obama/Bush LET THEM FAIL! I'm sure the tone would be something along the lines of how all those

"hard workin' prayin' tax-payin' red blooded Americans who put their heart and souls into making American-made cars have for years been unfairly fired and have lost their jobs due to the cold uncaring government who allowed all those Japanese car companies ( who as we all know have a conspiracy to sell to all those anti-american liberals who buy FOREIGN cars) to RUIN the USA! "

So as far as I'm concerned, no matter what Obama does with this issue will be right in the eyes of the right. So in other words, I guess he can't win can he? Oh well. I guess that's how politics goes...

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Its not like American cars are any good anyway. If they were you guys would be driving a Silverado and GM wouldn’t be going bankrupt. And I don’t think they are buying the technology as much as buying the Hummer name.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Well... You can't deny that GM and Ford both sell a heck of a lot more full size pickups than anyone else. They definitely do sell lots of cars. GM sold more cars than anyone else up until just this year. The problem has been their issues with the UAW and having to pay out billions of dollars in pensions and healthcare.

Bankruptcy was the best thing they've done in decades. It'll be interesting how they'll turn out.

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I totally disagree. I work with companies in bankruptcy all the time.....the Republicans would have let them go into Ch. 11 and reorganized, which should have happened 6 months ago.....so in the meantime GM literally lost the first $20BN of our money given to them. They pissed it away. Obama should have backed off and let the bankruptcy process do what it's supposed to do. The REASON he dragged it out was to sustain the UAW voting block by ensuring they were the ONE GROUP that got more than they normally would have in Ch. 11.

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Totally agree with this.....they just should have done it 6 months ago. When the gov't gets involved, everything slows down.

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    Tru dat. The H2 and H3 were for soccer moms.

10. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    The company that bought Hummer makes heavy industrial equipment and has never been in the car business. It looks like all 150 dealers will remain and upper management stays the same for now.

Which begs the question.. Why? They know nothing about the car business in the States. Or car business period. I'm sure the GM folks are grinning ear to ear right now thinking they pulled a fast one. Take the money and run. :cool:

11. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    The only problem with the assessment that Republicans would have let them go bankrupt is that they didn't. It helps to remember that Bush's own stance was basically the exact same of Obama, which was that allowing GM to fail would cause the US economy to shed tens of thousands of jobs. So again- two different administrations with basically the same handling of a situation.

But do you want to know why both Republican and Democratic parties didn't want to just allow GM to fail outright? Its because both parties rely on getting re-elected by all those unions. By simply allowing GM to fail, both parties would have risked losing tons of votes. Hence my stance that I've always had which is that both parties are crooked and taking sides is absolutely pointless since its basically the same brand of business.

12. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    +1

13. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    watch there gonna make hybrid hummers that are gonna push no more than a 150 hp and like 2 lbs of torque...!!! i agree as well the H1 is the true "hum-Vee" i bet Jay-z and lil wayne still gonna buy them tho lol....!!!

14. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Wrong again Bobbio! The UAW votes Democratic, not Republican. Consistently!!! UAW, Teachers Union, etc. They all vote JOBS, not the COUNTRY.

15. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Well, Like I said before. I could care less about either party.They both whine and complain and act like adult children and are so concerned about getting their way that they totally ignore the actual problems.

The issue at hand is in my opinion more troubling. The big picture is that we as a country are losing our manufacturing know-how to other countries-namely China and India. Say what you want, but once we lose these jobs, we lose them pretty much forever. We have 200 years of built-up manufacturing knowledge yet most of the areas that do manufacturing ( MI, OH, WI, etc etc) are in severe economic decline as a result.

You look at any single time in history and look at what country at that given time is the most successful. They tend to be countries with a strong middle class. Our middle class is gone, and mostly because we shipped all those jobs overseas. Look at the fastest growing economies. They are again- China and India. Both have rapidly growing middle classes. Both actually make things.

We on the other hand do nothing but chase bubbles, whether it be tech bubbles or housing bubbles. We chase the easy stuff and pass the bag off to other schmucks until the last bagholder gets screwed. That's how it works. Nobody wants to invent or make anything.

So here we are- selling off our few remaining manufacturing industries to China and India, which will in turn only hasten our status as a country where the middle class can thrive, thus passing that torch elsewhere. Its sad to see.

16. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    +100

17. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    S.T.O.P. Freaking W.H.I.N.I.N.G. We still got nukes. You think they jump off the assembly line in Bangladesh?

18. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    How is voicing a concern whining? Its funny that you assume I'm whining. If anything I am thankful because my Wife and I do fairly well financially and have worked hard. I'm a firm believer in capitalism and earning your keep through innovation and hard work. So its funny that you would assume I'm "whining".

Yes, as an American I am indeed concerned about the shape of the country. I myself am not middle class. But I know- as well as you do- that a country without a middle class will never succeed. We are coming dangerously close to losing the middle class here and again- it comes from having an economy that relies less and less on actual production and more on debt and asset values. Perhaps someone like me should not care. But I do because without a middle class, we are going to be screwed. Its really that simple.

19. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    The market rules. Period. If you truly believe what you say, stop buying foreign. No Chinese, No Indian, No Japanese.....bet you can't!!!! And it's not because you can't find the same products here, it's because you want them CHEAPER!!!!! THE UAW AND UNIONS HATE YOUR GUTS.

20. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    We're talking about two totally different things here. Have you ever seen a movie made in 1989 my Micheal Moore ( Now I know you won't see it now) called " Roger and Me"? Well, the movie is about GM and how that even though they were making huge profits at the time ( amazing huh?) that they were shipping off massive amounts of labor to Mexico.

That's the kind of crap that has gotten us into trouble. Its through companies like GM as well as tons of other US companies ranging from retail stores, manufacturing companies, banks, and financial firms that would rather cut corners than make or produce a good product. When they fail to make good products, people will shop elsewhere.

Of course I am sure the response will be: " That's called capitalism". But if you look at how lots of US companies became so big and powerful, it came from many of those company's founding father's desire to run a company in a moral, positive, proper manner. Take Henry Ford for example. He paid his workers an avg of $5 a day at a time when the typical pay was less than $1 a day. He was one of the first in the US to provide healthcare, retirement pensions, and employee benefits. At the same time his company grew to be one of the most profitable companies on the planet.

Guess who else follows that same philosophy? Toyota. To this day- even now- they will do absolutely everything possible to keep from having to lay off any of their employees. The desire is to have a nurturing, successful, solid business. As a result their employees are loyal and build quality products. I actually grew up not too terribly far from a Toyota plant. I remember that Toyota came in and built a new school for the local schoolchildren. The company gives money to the community. They do a lot to make people that work for them or near them happy. That is how you run a company.

Yet here in the US we would rather shovel out the shittiest products produced by the cheapest labor that often comes from 3rd world countries and we also have this view that employees are disposable. Say what you will but you can't hope to have loyalty, stability and economic prosperity with those kinds of conditions.

Either way none of it really matters because we are going to continue to go down the road we're on until the US resembles what it looks like out here in California, with a 2-tier social structure with loads of really poor people and a few really rich people on top.

Products Discussed in

To Top