1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hvac, hazard, and fog light switch lights out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bradnuts, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    bradnuts

bradnuts [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    first post here... so on my way home tonight, i noticed my hvac, hazard button, and fog light button lights are out. i did a search and didn't find an answer. checked all the fuses i could think would have anything to do with those light, and all are good. any ideas?

2. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    One of the wires feeding the switches came off. Check the green with white stripe wires and the solid green wires on the back of the switches. That is if it's a second gen, You never said. Don't mix the wires up. There is also a plug behind the HVAC switches with those colored wires and a few more wires. That plug could have come loose. Believe it or not the power for those lights comes from the 10A tail light fuse. And also check the tail light relay cause it goes threw there too before the fuse.

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:12 AM
    bradnuts

bradnuts [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    oh yes, my bad... 2007 x-runner. anyway, thanks for the advice, i'll take a look tomorrow.

i did check the plug on the back of the hvac controls. it's connected, as well as the plug that goes to the hazard switch. i didn't check the fog switch.

although it doesn't seem likely that all three things would go out at once.

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    It actually is very likely it's all joined together at the J2 junction connector but if that fuse is dead or that relay is not coming on it will have the same exact effect. The J3 junction connector also could be loose. You will know when you find the correct connectors because it will have multiple green and white wires on the J3 and green on the J2 connector. J2 and J3 are on the very left of the dash kind of up high, behind the fuse box.

5. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM
    bradnuts

bradnuts [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    ah, i see. makes sense. do you happen to know what fuse i should be looking for? and also, what relay, and how do i check that relay to see if it is working?

6. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Fuse marked "Tail" it's a 10 amp fuse. Fuse #27 in the inside of the truck. Look in your book page 407. If that fuse is dead chances are no lights in the truck will work on the inside. Lots of things run threw there. You would have more problems if it was the fuse. For instance the injectors also get power from there. Check those j2 j3 plugs. Could be the ground on the dimmer too. White wire with a black stripe.

With a meter and the dash lights turned on and up check the green and green and white wires for voltage on the off hand it's actually just the bulbs. I'm not sure what the voltage is but chances are not twelve volts. Could be as low as three volts.

Green wire to ground with a meter should show a voltage with the dash light turned on and up. Green wire with white stripe should show low resistance to ground with the dash lights off that the dimmer turned up all the way.

7. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:41 AM
    bradnuts

bradnuts [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    if it was a bad ground going to the dimmer, would that affect the gauge cluster? cause the gauge cluster is working fine. but i will check those fuses tomorrow. thanks for all he help so far.

8. Dec 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Ground would well it's split so it is possible it's still the ground coming from the dimmer. the cluster lights goes to IA ( left kick panel ) ground then the dimmer goes to 1C ( instrument panel Right hand ) ground. There sort of connected. There is a spot on wire terminal 5 rheostat where it could goof up and have such a symptom.

1C is around the AC controls somewhere behind that panel. There is a dash bracket where it's attached to.

9. Dec 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I have my dimmer switch removed right now for a stereo install. The result is all dash switch lights (Fog Included)/ AC Control lights/ Shifter Illumination are all dark. Gauge cluster/Radio/Clock all working. If you know you have a wiring problem at the dimmer it would be a good place to start.

10. Dec 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Yup that is the way the circuit shows it would be.

11. Dec 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    bradnuts

bradnuts [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    ok.. figured it out. it was the 10 amp tail fuse. replaced it and all works now. thanks a lot for the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top