1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hvac questions

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Gabassman, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Oct 22, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman [OP] Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Im just looking for some insight from HVAC professionals.
    So we are getting to the time of year here in Georgia that we may need Heat at night and Air during the day. My question falls with zoning. I have 1 system with 3 zones. The system is all electric.
    Dumb thermostat upstairs.
    Nest on main level.
    Dumb Thermostat downstairs.

Lets just say I set the main level Nest to Heat/Cool setting and I leave the dumb thermostats to heat. I assume the main level thermostat would control the system as in set to heat or cool as needed as well the damper for that zone, while the other thermostats would only control their individual damper?

For instance during the day the nest unit may switch itself to cool and start cooling the main level, what happens with the other two zones that are set to heat? The system can only heat or cool not both?

How do these technologies mesh so the systems knows what to do?

2. Oct 29, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Do you have three furnaces and three A/C units?

o_O

3. Oct 29, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Gabassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    No one units three thermostats. Each thermostat controls a damper to each zone.

4. Oct 29, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    Gabassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Honestly it’s not a big deal it’s just me wanting to know how things work.

5. Dec 22, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    DW85

DW85 Dude.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab Tacoma TRD 4x4/2004 SR5 V6 4Runner
    Tacoma: Badlands basher front bumper Trail gear rear bumper Trail gear sliders OME Dakar’s OME 883 Coils Bilstein 5100s front Bilstein 5125s rear SPC Upper Control Arms Wheeler’s Extended brake lines ProComp 51 Series 15x8 3.5” BS 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2’s Honda CR-V windshield washer nozzles Hella 500FF fog lights Energy Suspension power steering rack bushings 4Runner: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265/70r17’s TPMS Bypass mod RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch light brackets 1.25” Wheel Spacers 2” Front Leveling Kit
    If it’s one system. If the main thermostat is calling for cool while the other 2 are calling for heat, the system will start cooling and the dampers for the other 2 zones should be closed. Once the main thermostat goes into heating the other zones will open to allow the heat into those areas until those thermostats are satisfied.
    Now this works if the system has been setup properly with the main floor thermostat being the one in control. If not your unit could actually be trying to heat and cool at the same time. Easiest way to check this would be to feel the temperature of the air coming out on each zone compared to what that stat is calling for or the lack of air if the zones are closed during a cooling call on the main floor while they are in a heat call.

Gabassman[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top