1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hyluxtek HID kit with CNLight ball bulbs

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Scooby24, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Oct 25, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Now that several of us have purchased and had good success with this hardware selection, I'm cleaning up this post to include all information in the first post.

Here's what you need to know:

Hardware:
    2x Ballast A2088 (non-canbus)
    2x CNLight H11B (options: ball bulb(4300k,6000k) or straight bulb (4300k, 5000k, 6000k, Higher if desired)

Highly recommended options:
    HD Relay Harness (Diode Dynamics is my personal preference)
    OR
    20 Amp Fuse to replace factory 15 Amp fuse (these ballasts draw more current than the 15 amp fuse can handle reliably)
    Harbor Freight 1/4" wire wrap

Installation Tips:
    Use a drill bit to widen the holes in the ballasts so you can install at the factory ground points using factory ground bolts
    Relay harness can bolt up without modification
    On the passenger side, remove the windshield washer resevoir to gain access to the ground bolt mounting location (be careful not to pull out motor from tank)
    Most relay harnesses use 9006 connectors. The kit comes with an H11 to 9006 adapter. Use that for the relay input to ensure polarity and connector compatability.

Where to buy:
    Ebay has been the most reliable with the seller "manufactory88" (Be prepared for a 3 week delivery window)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYLUXT-A208...ash=item3f3feb6f08:g:EZwAAOSwF1dUR6-4&vxp=mtr

Relay Harness
    http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/individual-waterproof-hid-relay-harness#!prettyPhoto

Wiring Diagram:
    [​IMG]

Factory ground locations:

Driver Side
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Relay
    [​IMG]

Fuse location if you wish to avoid harness (use at your own risk)
    [​IMG]

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of Warmup:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    sierra141, FishnTx, Parker315 and 7 others like this.
  2. Oct 25, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    jonnyozero3

jonnyozero3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    OME, sliders, dents, hail damage, soiled armrest. Lightbulbs.
    Did you try washing your truck?

(I wish I was joking...)

3. Oct 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    No, but certainly a valid test that I will do after permanent installation. These ballasts on my prior vehicle had zero issues for 2 years so I'm confident, provided the connectors are truly sealing water tight, and they certainly seem to, this won't be a problem. I'll be sure to update at that time.

4. Oct 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    LTacoman

LTacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Gilbert, Az
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 Lariat EB
    are you doing fogs to match? if so, which ones?

5. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Not likely. The stock halogen fogs light up the sides/lower portion of my view enough for my satisfaction and I prefer a more stock look, which is why I went with 4300k. Most stock HID vehicles are still using Halogens in the fogs so I think it would be best to leave them be for now.

LTacoman[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Identified clean, hidden mounting locations for the ballasts using stock ground straps. I wanted to bolt on and not stick on using the 3M tape, as I wanted this to be completely plug and play and should it need to be removed, have no sticky tape residue left behind. The ballast hole will need to be enlarged but it's aluminum and tapered so it drills out very easily. I didn't note the size of the bit, but it was large enough I had to pull the bit out of my ez-out kit.

Driver's side:
    [​IMG]

Passenger's side - Remove the washer reservoir. Two bolts up top, and the harness for the pump need to be removed. From there you can pull up and loosen the feed line to get enough slack to move it up out of the way to work.
    [​IMG]

With the reservoir back in:
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:05 AM
    Superjoe

Superjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    In that eBay page there is a dropdown to select from four different ballast options. Which ballasts did you choose?

Thanks!

8. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:15 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    A2088 Fast Start Kit. Note: It's listed as 78 shipped but that includes CNLight's non-ball type bulb. They ask for an additional 15 dollars for the ball type. I'm not sure how you go about that through ebay so I messaged the seller asking about H11B bulbs, and specified ball type, which is where they gave me the 81 dollar price and the e-mail to send paypal to, outside of ebay. (66+15) I suspect their price is negotiable and you could get the same price as I did. This is effectively the same kit that Diode Dynamics sells for 155 shipped, with the exception that they use the canbus ballast (2A88) and I suspect the non ball type CNLight bulb. http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/precision-hid-conversion-kit-all-sizes

If you opt for the ball type, you only have two color options, 4300k or 6000k.

My exact selection was this:
    2x A2088 35W
    2x H11B (H11N) Ball Type 4300K

9. Oct 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    jonnyozero3

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    @Scooby24 - how many times have you been flashed by another driver so far? Also, please confirm you have had no electrical gremlins or hiccups yet?

I know that HID in a Halogen Projector is not an ideal or legal solution, but the beam spread in your pic looks pretty good. Can you take some photos at night? I would think the biggest danger with these might be too much light up close to the vehicle...causing some reflected glare to other drivers and keeping your eye too close.

That said, that beam spread isn't too bad looking at your first pic - the sides and edges look pretty good. I wonder if the "ball' type bulb is making the difference.

10. Oct 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Please read the thread. They are not yet permanently installed as I'm awaiting headlight replacements due to defects/dealer damage with the lenses. I have tested out functional use of the kit to ensure they fire and remain fired under various changes in electrical load but long term results are yet to be seen.

Blinding oncoming traffic is a topic you're free to debate in plenty of other threads. The factory cutoff is retained and the only minor increase to oncoming traffic will be due to the "squirrel spotters" which are only marginally brighter than the halogens, as will be the case with any HID kit in factory halogen projectors. This thread is to share information on this specific kit.

11. Oct 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    jonnyozero3

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    Read the thread earlier, came back to it today. My bad, thought they were in.

I am discussing this specific kit with you, please don't be so sensitive.

Relax, I am in the camp that HID kits in halogen projectors are generally not an ideal solution...BUT, this one looks decent. I am curious if it is because of the ball-type bulb which might project light much more like a halogen H11...no idea.

Anyhow, you should be an honest broker and honest assessor of your lights when you install them (not picking a fight here). I am saying it looks damn good (better than most), and the only nit I can pick at it based on your one picture is that maybe road glare from too much light immediately in front of the truck could be a thing. No idea until you try it out...just thinking. Otherwise of course the cutoff is fine (physical limitation of the housing) and the edges left and right look pretty good. Need more photos to really understand though.

Again, not attacking your solution. Just trying to understand it better, since HID in Halogen projector isn't always a good idea, but this looks nice.

12. Oct 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    The ball type bulb is supposedly better focusing the light and while the exposure of my cell phone couldn't capture the spread of the light in the halogen projector, it is better spread than the halogen to the eye. The Halogen projector naturally has more hot spots as it tries to focus more light in the center, presumably to get better throw given lower lumens, but this bulb seems to do a better job, as I see it.

I will definitely get night pictures with halogen and this kit, and provide subjective feedback on glare from another vehicle's perspective.

13. Oct 26, 2016 at 11:04 AM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    China
    Highest quality brand

... does.. not.. compute

All kidding aside, looking forward to some night shots.
    What is this "defect" you are mentioning about the headlight lens??

jonnyozero3 likes this.
  14. Oct 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    I know...goes against common sense...but in the case of most HID manufacturers, China is the place of choice.

The defect I had was an internal run in the clear coating they apply to the lenses to protect the plastic from UV on the driver's side, and the passenger side had several deep scratches and knicks the day I brought it home, likely in transport or PDI. I wasn't going to ask them to replace the driver's side with the run but when I initiated the replacement for the passenger's side damage, they saw the driver's side and offered the replacement so I took it.

Here's a picture of the run:
    [​IMG]

15. Oct 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    How long have you used this setup previously? Any issues?

Initial comparison photo looks pretty good. Cutoff seems to unaffected by the bulb (ie. identical to the OEM on the passenger side), which is nice.

I'm generally in the same school of though as @jonnyozero3, but if these bulbs and ballasts actually last and don't die in a year, I might give them a shot.

16. Oct 26, 2016 at 12:32 PM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    2.5 years on a 2014 fusion that's no longer in my possession. It wasn't a direct 1:1 as I needed the canbus ballasts and also had to supplement a capacitor since the turn signals caused a voltage drop and the light would go out after using the turn signal. After that was figured out, they were flawless, and I had several other folks that rode with me and had factory HIDs commenting on how bright my lights were.

Hyluxtek and CNLight both provide a 3 year warranty on their bulbs/ballasts and are known for their reliability. Check out reviews for Diode Dynamics kits.

Here was the Fusion.
    [​IMG]

0210[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    Did some reading and while there's not a ton of info, the general consensus online is that these are pretty good units. Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered the exact same parts - $88USD shipped to Canada.

Scooby24[OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 26, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    I think you'll be happy with them. Once you get the ballasts mounted up it's a breeze. It's nice having the bulb accessible without removing the bumper and for HID replacement, the rear isn't sealed so you don't have to drill out for the wiring.

19. Oct 27, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Toyota got in my headlights and scheduled me for drop off this afternoon, should hopefully be able to get these installed this evening for some better feedback and before/after shots. I'll make sure to bring along my DSLR to better represent the differences.

Also, since the rear of the headlight is not sealed, there's no need for the wire grommet so I cut that off to be able to separate the wiring, and gave it a little OEM look treatment courtesy of Harbor Freight 1/4 wire wrap for 2.49.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  20. Oct 27, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Permanent installation done. I'm more than happy with the kit on the Tacoma. The kit's not as bright as they were in my Fusion, but I believe the fusion was focusing quite a bit more directly in the center field of vision which made them throw further, but less of a benefit at the edges.

Install looks hidden and very close to stock. Quite happy with how this came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Halogens:
    [​IMG]

HIDs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior color is simply perfect to my taste. Looks 100% factory
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutoff is fairly sharp with a little blue color shift
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice spread
    [​IMG]

Video testing out the ability to consistently fire fast:

I had the wife both follow in front of me and cross my direction head on. She said the brightness looks no different than any other factory HIDs she can recall. She was not at all blinded.

Again, no electrical weirdness, no flicker and no vibration like some people are reporting with some bulbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top