1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hypertech Spedometer Calibrator on 2017

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by JGreer3, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dec 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    traumahawk

traumahawk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport manual, quad cab, short bed
    Icon stage 4 +3in with spring pack, OV Tuned, total chaos UCAs, Victory 4x4 strike front and rear bumper, Warn 9.5ti winch, full CBI underbody armor, AP kick out sliders, softtopper canopy, method wheels, BFG AT KO2, leather seat kit, Safari snorkel, 4.88 gears, MBRP cat back exhaust.
    Does this also let you adjust gear ratio?

2. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    roth_nj

roth_nj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB trd off-road bbp
    Yes

3. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    No need, your speedo won't be effected by a change in gear ratios.

4. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    traumahawk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 4 +3in with spring pack, OV Tuned, total chaos UCAs, Victory 4x4 strike front and rear bumper, Warn 9.5ti winch, full CBI underbody armor, AP kick out sliders, softtopper canopy, method wheels, BFG AT KO2, leather seat kit, Safari snorkel, 4.88 gears, MBRP cat back exhaust.
    The gear ratio will change the RPM of the trans, so it would impact the speedo. Unless these trucks run speedo off wheel speed sensors?

5. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    That's my understanding, and the consensus in the 4.88 gear thread.

6. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 Touching Drum Sets

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD OR
    Modded it so much it turned into a 4Runner
    Yes and yes.

7. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 Touching Drum Sets

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD OR
    Modded it so much it turned into a 4Runner
    It asks for gear ratio and tire size. So, if you upgrade to 4.88's, you would change it to 4.88 from 3.91 or 4.30 based on auto or manual.

8. Dec 29, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    CooleyOne

CooleyOne TRD OffRoad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    EastBay, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OffRoad Taco
    2017 TRD OffRoad
    So I recently upgraded my '17 TRD OffRoad from stock 265/75 16's to 35's. About a month later, I had the truck regeared to 4.88's. After the suspension and tire upgrades, I did not have any ABS/DSC lights come on, but obviously the truck was driving like a pooch. After having the truck regeared, now the ABS/DSC lights are on, but the truck drives a bit better.

I purchased the Hypertech Inline Speedo Calibration, programmed it using the blue link. I see that the tires sizing can be entered using either the 265/75 r 16 -OR- by using inches. Yes I should measure it exactly for accuracy - but anyway, just entered the old tire size as calculated to inches (31") and then 35" for my new tires. I also entered the 3.91 and 4.88 gear values (I have the A/T). Clicked program, and it said "PROGRAMMED SUCCESSFUL" in big bold letters. Cool!

Did the install, super easy, FWIW. While the Hypertech dongle is labelled to say which end goes where, their circuit board was less than clear on which end goes where. "P1" and "P2" were all I could see on the two female plug in ports. I flipped a coin, finished the install and went for a drive. The ABS/DSC lights are still on and the speedo was not corrected, at all. Thinking my coin flip was wrong, I swapped them. No Luck - no Changes. Thinking maybe the dongle was then mislabeled (per an earlier post) I swapped them, and same ports on the Hypertech unit. No luck. Then finally, swapped ports again, with the dongle also in the swapped position. No Luck. Ugh.

I Called Hypertech Support, explained it ALL. They said is probably a defective unit, so I sent it back - now waiting on a replacement. The tech guy said to reprogram it again and that should fix it. Ok - I mean the chances of the unit being bad are pretty slim, but who knows.

Questions: 1) Anyone else have this problem of a non-functioning Unit from Hypertech? 2) Specifically asking those that did BOTH Tires AND re-gear, did you also get the ABS/DSC lights come on (before installing a Hypertech), only to then have it FIXED with a good Hypertech install? 3) How do you figure out which end of their dongle fits into which port on their board?

9. Dec 29, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    traumahawk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It sounds like a wheel speed sensor error that may have caused your abs fault. I have both wheels and gears with no errors. Get a cheap code reader and see what's popped. A hypertech will have no effect on ecu codes. It's simply a converter for the speedo signal.

10. Dec 29, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    Weirich

Weirich Drunk_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma access cab TRD Offroad
    OvTuned 4.88 R&P Hypertech speedometer calibrator Rough country 6" lift Toyo open country 285/75R17(old) Cooper STT Pro 315/70r17 Archive garage shackle flip Tough country uni ball uppers Icon 2.5 6" front coil overs Icon 2.5 CDC 6" rear shocks OME cs047r rear leaf packs AllPro HD Sliders Tom woods double cardin single piece drive shaft Magnaflow exhaust Black rock D window rims(old) ICON 17x8.5 Rebound CBI T3 full guard front bumper Smittybilt x20 10k winch HEISS 20" single row light bar ARB on board air compressor
    You shouldnt have to enter your new gear size in to the programmer, and enter the actual tire size based off what tiresize.com says your specific tire size measures out to for accuracy and then fine tune it based on how far off it is. As for the abs and dsc lights you could try resetting the vsc and see if that helps. Otherwise i would get a scanner and see if it tells you exactly whats wrong.

DapperDave123 likes this.
  11. Jan 7, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    DapperDave123

DapperDave123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Metallic Tacoma 4X4 Offroad
    6" Pro Comp Full Suspension Kit, 20" Fuel Rims Wrapped in 33" toyos, K&N Air intake, magnaflow exhaust, 8k hids, custom car grills, caliraised: led bar, ditch lights, and fog lights, avs taillight covers and window visors, Rhino lined rear bumper, plastidip emblems, nerf running boards, bed lights, all weather floor mats, Blacked out side headlight markers, white turn signal bulbs (blue when off), led bulbs: overhead, dome, vanity mirror, reverse and license plate.
    So I finally got the 35s installed and my calibrator installed. Yes, I know I didn’t have to pull the radio, but there was another issue I was having with the beats sonic. The install was a bit tricky trying to maneuver the cluster around and figure out where to put the board. But I figured I’d just kinda wedge it up in the corner and seems like it will be a good spot for it. (That wire is for aftermarket speakers/ sub.) I think it was said earlier in this thread that the gear ratio wasn’t working, so I tried it anyways because I just got 4.88s installed. Sure enough, it doesn’t work. So don’t worry about it if you’re installing this. Just do the tire size and you’ll be good! E6AA7B28-3ECF-47C0-8E3D-9FE91261EEFC.jpg 6453255B-7068-486B-A765-D094D84EF1F8.jpg FED857FD-8981-4AD5-BA94-1AD98F370764.jpg 9DE1A152-FE5A-47CE-A357-3A8CA48D9EFD.jpg

12. Jan 7, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    CooleyOne

CooleyOne TRD OffRoad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    EastBay, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OffRoad Taco
    2017 TRD OffRoad
    FYI - just got a replacement unit from Hypertech. The dongle no longer has the green board. Its a direct connect cable. Very cool.

DapperDave123 likes this.
  13. Jan 7, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    DapperDave123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    6" Pro Comp Full Suspension Kit, 20" Fuel Rims Wrapped in 33" toyos, K&N Air intake, magnaflow exhaust, 8k hids, custom car grills, caliraised: led bar, ditch lights, and fog lights, avs taillight covers and window visors, Rhino lined rear bumper, plastidip emblems, nerf running boards, bed lights, all weather floor mats, Blacked out side headlight markers, white turn signal bulbs (blue when off), led bulbs: overhead, dome, vanity mirror, reverse and license plate.
    Aw man, should have waited lol

14. Mar 14, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    DapperDave123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone had a problem with the Nav after installing?

15. Mar 14, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    DapperDave123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    So my truck is currently at the dealership for the second time now. I’ve been having issues with my nav saying I’m in one spot, but really in another. They said it could be the calibrator. (I don’t see how that has anything to do with it). I’ve also been having issues with the usb connection. It says that it’s a connection issue and it’s not compatible. They quoted me at $169 for the new update but said wait to see what Toyota says is wrong with it. It SHOULD be covered under warranty and they should replace it. But no chance I’m paying that for something that should be working properly in the first place.

16. Sep 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    Where are you fellas purchasing your HyperTech units from? From HyperTech, AutoAnything, E-Bay?? Just wondering where to find a reasonable price...

17. Sep 3, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    riz_atx

riz_atx #bigpermtaco #teamBP

Member:
    First Name:
    Sohail
    Spicewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 4x4 DCLB GFC Locked, Geared, Tuned
    C4Fab/RCI/BAMF, ADS, 4.88, Lockers, OVTune
    This is weird for sure. There is 1 wire in the bundle coming off the back of the radio which is responsible for providing a signal sharing when the car is moving. If you look at the nav in motion mod, its this wire that a switch is installed to enable/disable the lockout which makes you stay in the same spot on the nav. I am unsure where this signal comes from but its likely from the dash cluster. If you remove the calibrator and it still has issues, could be your head unit or the wiring behind the radio. Are you sure you securely fastened the calibrator? Any chance you could have bent any of the pins when installing it?

DapperDave123[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 3, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    friendlywithbears

friendlywithbears a tree falling in the woods

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    The Wild
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR MT
    I couldn't find anybody selling significantly cheaper than everyone else, so I just bought on Amazon for the easy return option if necessary.

19. Sep 3, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    Cool. I may go that route if they will sell to my address (California). Thanks for the quick reply.

20. Sep 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    DapperDave123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    I dont think its from the calibrator. I think its from the beats sonic override. that makes the most sense when the switch is engage.

riz_atx[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top