1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I am all in the 2016...Solved a Dilemma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoBella, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Aug 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    I had a dilemma. I sold an 08 Vette to buy a 2016 Miata. Sold the Vette in Feb so I wanted a Summer car and found a fly and buy 2012 SE MX5 NC at a great deal thinking I would sell it when the ND is released. The ND would cost me about $12K in addition. Consider all vehicles are paid for.

Realizing after a bout of luxury sedans, and SUVs, I am A "Tacoma Guy" Had four of them and always come back to them. Perusing the forum, I was anxious to see the 2016 Tacoma. I bought a 15 as a hedge against me liking the 2016 and still having a choice in trucks.

I was all set to blow $12K on the "new and improved" new Miata, After looking at what $12K in addition buys me on the new Miata and comparing it with what $8K will buy me on the new Tacoma, My eyes were opened wide. The new MX5 offers going from a retractable hard top to a soft top backwards , Not good...., a lighter car . Masculine body style and the Cx5 nanny tech....for a whopping $12,000 more out of pocket.Seemed like a fair deal when I really wanted the ND. but after test driving and seeing them I realized I am not getting much at all and losing some things I have become accustomed to. My MX5 has 21K on it. Good enough,

Since I paid $4000 to upgrade a 14 with 19K to a New 15 I thought "what could be the difference to go from a 15 -16?"

What would the same "$12K" spent on a new Tacoma buy me?

To answer that question I went my local Toyota dealer and asked my Internet guy if $10K and my truck would buy me the Limited. He said it "would not be that much" because there are no incentives on leftover 15s so my trade would be booked higher and there is more "play money" in the Limited. So I am figuring $8500 for the LTD and $7500 out of pocket for the TRD Sport. Sales Taxes are capped at $300 no matter so that is not a concern

Now I have to look at my 15 and my MX5 NC and see what 12Gs buys in an ND and what $8Gs buy in upgrades on the Tacoma OBVIOUSLY the Tacoma will return a LOT more for less including

4X4
    Upgraded engine and MPG
    Much nicer Tech
    Leather
    Climate control
    moonroof
    Far and away better resale
    and the list goes on.

For my money the Tacoma is the far and away winner....By a long mardin and since it will be my long term vehicle vs a toy, its money better spent. I am financing the difference by selling my Harley I stopped riding when I got the MX5.

Now all I have to decide is what the Limited has that I cannot get on the TRD SPORT or OR and whether or not that is important. Still hard to find much more than leather seats and climate control along with body bits and pieces, SR5 Suspension, and 18" wheels (I don't want) ? IS that it? Either way I am saving $4000 not buying the Miata....

They don't have their allocation yet but expect to have incoming VINS this week.

Thoughts? Limited vs Sport...I would love the OR like I used to have but i don;t care for the unpainted bits although I understand why they are there. This will be a street truck. 4x4 just because, and if I want to drive north in the Winter to see family the 4x4 may come in handy. It certainly will launching a boat.

Flynbyu2 likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    I changed from Limited to TRD Sport because DCLB. Limited only a DCSB. Everything on the Limited I can get on the TRD Sport, and my dealership can put leather on it for $650. However, I am slowly starting to change my mind on the leather because I saw some 2015 Sport seats this weekend and they're pretty well made.

Every other electronic gadget and trim doohickey, including the moonroof, is being added to my Sport.

And I still get the long bed. DCLBFTMFW.

TacoBella[OP] and Flynbyu2 like this.
  3. Aug 24, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    jonnyozero3

jonnyozero3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    OME, sliders, dents, hail damage, soiled armrest. Lightbulbs.
    Wow, how are you capped at only $300 for sales tax?

4. Aug 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    Some states don't have sales tax, like Oregon.

5. Aug 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    jonnyozero3

jonnyozero3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    OME, sliders, dents, hail damage, soiled armrest. Lightbulbs.
    I forgot that at first...but I was surprised there was still a $300 charge if it was a state with zero sales tax. Not sure how that works.

6. Aug 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Is this thread number three on this over the last few months?

ZachMX likes this.
  7. Aug 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Why wouldn't you buy the DCLB TRD Offroad ?

8. Aug 24, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    tasnowma

tasnowma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    MA
    Vehicle:
    06’ DCSB SPORT. 16’ DCLB SPORT. 14’ DCLB SPORT
    Premium tech package with JBL, 2" Rough Country lift, 265/70/17 BFG Rugged Terrains, AVS in-channel rain guards, all weather floor mats, bed mat...
    Hold on, hold on. The newer 2nd gen seats feel like paper compared to the older 2nd gen TRD seats. They made them water resistant because the older ones stained like a bastard but they are not well made. Go with the leather. Cloth sucks a fat D.

TacoBella[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 24, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Deleted rude post....Apologized

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  10. Aug 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    YEah I am trying to figure out the options I don't need a Moon Roof. Leather is nice but I cover my cloth seats with leatherette anyway. I just want what the best value is. Outside of aesthetics, I really need to know what is ONLY on the Limited, so far I have 18" wheels Meh, prefer 17. heated leather, Nice to have but cloth is not a deal breaker. What am I missing? Chrome fog light trim? Somehow when I am looking down the line the Limited won't be as in demand as any other 4x4. People won't want to pay more for a LTD over a well optioned TRD Sport. However if the dealer matches a well optioned TRD price. I may take the LTD.

In any case the only thing that has changed is I am definitely buying the 16. I may sell them my 15 early if they think they will offer more now than later. HE said it would not be much less. They don't have any used Tacomas

I am not sure I want the LB. It will fit in my garage without the bike which is gone tomorrow. I would have to see it. My brother had one, He said, although it was only 12" longer, he said it was a bear to park.....

11. Aug 24, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    I respect you opinion OZ....I will answer that from my viewpoint as well. I would, but I really don't care for the unpainted body panels although I know why they are there to prevent damage from vegetation (We called it "Arizona pinstriping" when I lived out west) and crap off road. . It's purely aesthetics. I think going from a 2WD to a 4WD is enough of a step up for me. I don't do serious (or any) off roading. I would be buying the 4x4 because its not a money loser on the back end, the extra money paid for a 4x4 will come back and northerners look south for used 4x4s that have never been in salt. Kind of a financial decision there. AS for the long bed I have to see it. I use the bed for light duty. Yard crap and junk to the dump, Home Depot and large Costco purchases..

12. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I meant no offense. Just noticing that you seem to ask these questions a lot. I'd go with the TRD Sport. The Limited is really about the bling because you can add almost everything functional from the Limited to a TRD Sport from factory.

Tomate-o Toma-toe. It's all the same thing between the loaded TRD Sport and the Limited. The Limited might have a slightly better ride according the reviews, depending on who you believe, but personally I prefer the looks of the Sport. Not to mention the bit of money you save on the Sport.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    TacoBella[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I was asking Cspt Mericuh but OK

v1tal1 likes this.
  14. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I apologize. It has been something I have been thinking about a putting out there before without a commitiment. :cheers:

I guess today I became convinced I am not buying the redesigned Mazda and will be buying the Tacoma for sure. So my focus has changed from a question mark to Trims and options,, The Limited has the SR5 suspension. I guess its more for the guy who wants "luxury" and may use the 4WD for snow or boat launching..... I like the Sport but want all the options. I wonder how much less the sport will indeed be than the Limited and will the Toyota dealer be more inclined to give me the better deal on a Limited they may HAVE to take. They had a 15 Limited still sitting when I bought my 15 in May.

7GR likes this.
  15. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I know but now that I am choosing trims in 4x4. I guess I look for some guidance from those who have them and know the trims better, over a longer period.

16. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    go check out the master cost list thread. that should help with your decisions.

17. Aug 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    Don't need it. I don't go off-road, and the hill country ranges I shoot at are well maintained gravel. The Sport gives me everything I want.

18. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    Good to know. What I ultimately want to do is get a red, white, and blue inset within the center seat panel. I've been looking at three sources, and leather is the most expensive. It would make for one hell of a cool interior for Captain Ameritruck.

tasnowma[QUOTED] and 7GR like this.
  19. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:23 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    @TacoBella

Congrats on your choice, pretty much a no-brainer once you weigh all your options.

Didn't see if you mentioned it or not, but what exterior color have you decided on?

So far I find the Magnetic Grey Metallic to complement the new gen styling really well. I still need to see the different colors in person (and hopefully test drive them) once they start to appear in dealerships.

20. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    [​IMG]
    The color scheme might be too loud but you won't be able to hear the critics' bitching over the sound of freedom :D

Products Discussed in

To Top