1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I am all in the 2016...Solved a Dilemma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoBella, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    My brother and I got into it this weekend. I'm still laughing.

"Dude, how can 'Captain Ameritruck' be a Toyota? He's a goddamned American hero. He should drive an American truck."

"What, like an F-150?" (My brother Jim has a 2014 F-150)

"Because a Tacoma probably has more American parts in it than your Fucked Over Rebuilt Dodge."

"....yeah, well, uh, you may have a point."

TacoBella[OP] and 7GR like this.
  2. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    Yeah once I looked at everything "on paper" the Miata would have been a foolish move for more money and its a toy anyway. The Tacoma is my first love....LOL

First choice is Super White, Second choice Silver (The unpainted OR bits would look good with silver) Third choice MAG Grey I would have to see the inferno or Blue, Barcelona Red would make me look like a volunteer fireman....But its a nice color.

7GR[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    I bet Nick Fury, upon overhearing the conversation, would shout at your brother, "shut your piehole and get back to cleaning my truck!" :D

A Ford would be my next choice if I ain't such a fanboy :mudding:

4. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    I almost bought a used F150 Platinum but DAYAM a full size truck is a handicap not and advantage. Test driving it felt like an 18 wheeler,,, To dammm big I am not towing a fifth wheel or bob Cat buckets of dirt.

7GR[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    All great choices, but super white will look really good, as long as it's kept clean frequently. Honestly there isn't a color that doesn't look good in my opinion. The grill doesn't bother me except for the chrome, only because I dislike fake-chrome. I'd probably color-match plastidip the grill or maybe aftermarket if given time.

6. Aug 24, 2015 at 5:54 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    Very true. I drive an FJ Cruiser so I understand size and blindspot issues completely. The Tacoma's size is about perfect for me as opposed to full-size trucks.

7. Aug 24, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    If you aren't happy with a full size drive, don't buy a fullsize :).

I'm sure the cost at the dealer between a limited and a Sport will be pretty small, but it is something worth mentioning. I also think you can only get cross traffic on the limited but I'm not sure of that.

8. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:13 PM
    tpak

tpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLBOR JBL 4x4 Blazing Blue FTMFW
    Cross traffic is part of the Premium and Tech package - that is avail able on both TRD's - not sure about SR5

For the OP, like you I could have picked any of the new Taco's but went with DCLB OR loaded. main reasoning is for
    1) LB - for me the SB is useless and LTD does not have LB option - and I want this with a DC not AC.
    2) suspension - I wanted a more OR oriented suspension and the 16" wheels - I spend a lot of time beating around on dirt and crap roads and lots of camping trips in CO and UT - I don't care that it drives like a truck on the highway ... it is after all a frigging truck not a sports car
    3) I figured the OR packages traction controls might come in handy some day vs sport
    4) unlike many folks here I actually like the black fenders i think it breaks it up a bit - also I don't love the look of the scoop on Sport but I could live with it if I had ended up with a sport (but these are waaay personal opinion territory)
    5) leather - could have gone either way here - I don't mind cloth and in some cases prefer it but damn it I wanted heated seats

9. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Eah thats the kind of information I will be looking for. Exclusives to the Limited although there are two "versions" of the Limited
    I would probably go with the OR if I lived in Colorado If I buy a 2WD TRD it will be the OR because the locker would get me out of some trouble anyway. I just wish they painted the fenders.

Hell I really don't need a 4WD and have not had one since I lived in Vegas where I actually went way off road with a group of guys back in the day. Sb is fine I don't have anything I need a LB for. All I had in the past were SBs Except for my first 4x4 back in the 90's which was an access cab.

But if I can get a 4x4 for $8000 more than mine in a TRD package I will probably go for the Sport since I don't expect to do any off roading here and I prefer the street suspension.

I don't see how I can get a 4x4 Limited for less than 10K and my 15....Maybe my guy was thinking 2WD. I priced the Limited at $40K that would mean they have to discount it $2000 AND give me $30K for my 15...I don't see that happening. I have to think even $28K for my truck with 1200 miles would be generous.

I think a great deal would be a 4x4 TRD Sport with premium and tech for $8k and my 15..A realistic deal would probably look like a TRD 2WD Sport or OR with premium and tech

Truck.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  10. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM
    tpak

tpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Zero reason why you cant get 2k off the MSRP. My DCLBOR4x4 loaded is MSRP 39,753 and I'm paying 37,372 - and the DCLBOR is one of the lowest % of fleet they are making so a PITA to come by and I still got the $'s down. LTD might have more wiggle room % wise at your dealer. Seems you've got a good trade in hand. Go to the internet sales or fleet sales person and tell them what you want to do and see if they can make it happen. If they so no call the next dealer and the next and the next.

11. Aug 25, 2015 at 4:43 AM
    border411

border411 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So why not check out the SR5? Wouldn't that fit your needs?

12. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Yeah But I really like the TRD packages. I May end up with an SR5 if the deal is right but I think they will have more wiggle room on the more optioned packages. I don't want less than what I have. 2WD would be fine if they can't make 4WD happen with all the options for $8000.

2016 pre order? Wow nice!!

You would think but one dealer 100 miles away (I bought my last Tacoma from) said MSRP for awhile. My home dealer gave me what I thought was a great deal in going from a 14 exactly like mine with 19K to a new 15 with running boards for $4500 after one day of ownership LOL.... The 14 had a damaged tailgate I did not see.

I think they have to take a Limited allocation and they are harder to sell to the rank and file Tacoma buyers so they may take the opportunity to sell it sooner rather than later. They still had a limited when I bought mine. It was there a long time. I can't see buying a 2WD Limited. Better off with OR or Sport.

13. Aug 25, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    In my opinion the Limited isn't worth the money.
    Get the Sport that has a better suspension (at least it did, not sure what new suspension is currently in there) and decent interior tech. Then go buy custom leather seats. Heck go nuts get custom carpet, custom seat belts, and fancy REAL leather seats for less than what it costs to buy the Limited :)
    The leather seats in the Limited are mostly vinyl.
    Also what's with no long bed on the Limited?

14. Aug 25, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R

[​IMG]

CaptAmerica[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    Bobcat87

Bobcat87 Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Damn . . . . Now that's FUNNY . . . . :devil:

16. Aug 25, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    tpak

tpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    e-sales/internet/fleet reps have one job - keep the vehicles moving and fast so that the dealers "velocity" number stays high and they can get access to more vehicles on allocation when they want them and grow the dealerships - all the big dealerships have these guys and generally they do not screw around they tell you up front their pricing model. at this dealership it is usually "OTD for invoice less holdback + tax" (my quoted price is less tax BTW since that varies). Since the phones are off the hook on this new Taco they said "OTD for invoice + tax" until we can keep a couple on the lot for the floor to sell. i.e. the sales floor will negotiate from MSRP down as opposed to invoice less HB upward.

At another dealership across town they are quoting "OTD for invoice +500 + tax"

YMMV but screw the floor sales guys unless they play ball. We've all got mouths to feed so ignore their BS about losing money. The internet/fleet/e-sales guys are not losing the dealerships money - there are other factory incentives in there for them and they are keeping fresh vehicles flowing to the dealer lot.

17. Aug 25, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    F150 is 75% American parts and made only in the USA. Tacoma is 60% American parts and made in both the USA and Mexico.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

F150 is the last American truck standing IMHO, but who cares. That debate is overblown anyways. Good luck with your Captain Ameritruck :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Back to OP, price your truck out around. Maybe after you see what pricing is out there in your area and compare it to the MSRP pricing you will have an idea of where to go with negotiations. I doubt you are going to get that much back off MSRP when most dealers know they will be getting MSRP easy for a few months from people who must have the new shiny, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying!

18. Aug 25, 2015 at 8:59 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Dang. OK, just don't tell Jim.

19. Aug 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    TacoBella

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    I went straight to the Internet Manager. I don't mess with floor sales any more. They know I pay cash and do the research. No loan BS or F & I BS. I hear Troy is selling extended Service Contracts again.

I won't put the screws to them as I know they have to make money. But they have been fair with me and I will know if its BS when the numbers are run. I will order a truck and sell them my trade early if it will bring more now than Later. They can keep the money until the truck comes in and I will pay the balance then. In that way I can get exactly what I want. I am leaning to the 2WD now. Because I won't use the 4WD and will have to drive it 10 miles every month to keep it lubed and 2WD is better for towing. The OR makes better sense becasue it at least has the Locker. But dammmm Paint those fender flares LOL.

You are right. The Limited is not worth the money and would be harder to sell down the line for a premium. Plus I don't want Ghetto 18" wheels and rubber bands for tires LOL
    I am leaning toward the 2WD Sport like I have. I won't use the 4WD enough to keep it lubed up. I actually put leather seat covers on my Sport to protect the fabric. They look fine. Its not a show truck. LB on the Limited? People who buy that truck probably won't throw bags of grass in the back or carry anything but TVs from Costco.
    The biggest thing I am looking forward too is the additional 40 ponies and better MPG. I m running premium in my Sport and drive it like a Lincoln and don't get 19 AVG.

20. Aug 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    I love all these people who think buying a Toyota is un-American (or un-Canadian for that matter). As if mandating that only the big three can operate here would not be fascism. GM and Ford are huge in other countries. Remember, Toyota only exists because we let him exists after WWII. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top