1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I believe im gonna have to put er' down..(long story but I need advice)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SNWMN209, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 [OP] "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    So I bought my 06 Prerunner in Jan 09. Since Sept. I have had to get three new transmissions and two rear ends. Luckily, I bought the 100,000 mile warranty. Now its messing up AGAIN! I took it back to the dealer and told them I wanted to trade out of it bc of all the problems. (I want to get a 350z and an older taco) The salesman was "SOOO SORRY" for all the problems and said they would do anything to help me. Right. After taking my info (to see what I still owed with Toyota Fin.) he asked what I was wanting to do. I told him I wasn't putting any money down, I didn't want to trade up, and all I wanted was AT LEAST an even trade with the same payments. So he took me to the finance lady. She looks at me and says,"Well are you going to put any money down?" I told her what I told the salesman. She says "well your payments will be $100 more a month on the car without money down.." Of coarse i said no. Then she tells me "well I guess its a good thing you got the warranty. Is there anything else we can do for you?" I laughed and said "no, I'm going to let you guys float the bill for the repairs until the warranty is up then take my business somewhere else." Then walked out.

Someone has brought something to my attention that is pretty interesting. TN has a "Lemon Law" for cars. I printed it and called Toyota Corp office. Now the dealer is bringing in a Toyota Engineer to oversee the 4th repair in less than 5 months. The rep from the dealer tell me that if the problem is still occurring after this fix then the dealership will try to work something out. WHAT SHOULD I DO? The Lemon law states that if the car has 3 or more attempts to fix the same problem, under warranty, the dealer MUST give a trade of the same value, or buy the vehicle back.

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Get a lawyer to write them a letter quoting the law, and stating what you want, and your intentions to take further action. Have it made out to the general manager, sent certified usps mail. That may solve your problem.

3. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    All states have lemon laws. They just differ from state to state. The choice is really yours as far as the trade or buying the vehicle back goes. The best thing to do is what fits your situation best. If you can get the 350z and an older taco, then do it.

4. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    They got to give you a new vehicle. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on what happens.

5. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    vitang

vitang Well-Known Member

Member:
    diamond bar
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4wd
    Engage Front Long Travel, Giant Rear Long Travel, KR Fab rear bumper, tire gate and Jerry Can cage.
    There are lots of Lemon Laws attorneys out there. The one I am using didn't cost me a thing. I have a 2007 Mercedes GL450 with loads of problems. It has taken me a while but I am getting a full refund on what I paid for plus any extended warranties minus a very small payment for driving the car. Plus I didn't cost me a thing out of my pocket because Mercedes had to pay for the attorney fees as well. The Attorney I am using is Krohn and Moss Ltd. www.krohnandmoss.com. They have a 90% success rate. They'll tell you off the bat if you have a chance of winning before they take your case.

6. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    I had an issue with my 08' 5lug, I too took it to the stealership 3 times+ and they never could fix it. I called the corp. and they said they had no fix for it. The problem I was having was when I plugged it in due to cold weather the check engine light would come on. They said it had something to do with temp sensor but never could tell me the exact problem. Glad I got rid of it....

7. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Let them buy it back and start with a clean slate. Then you can go to any dealer you want and purchase exactly what you want. Take the dealer out of the equasion.

8. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I think a Lemon Law is only valid for 30 says since purchase :notsure:

9. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    TBAGRR

TBAGRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sport
    Trd intake Doug Thorley long tubes URD short shifter Eibach front springs Tsb rear leafs
    lemon law is diff in every state however i believe is has to be under the factory warranty not extended.... there are diff situations for everything but in maryland if its less than a year and u have a problem with brakes or steering i think they only get one shot at fixing it then u can lemon law it

10. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    no way! how can anyone have repeated, unfixable problems (three times) in 30 days.

the OP's problem sucks. hope it gets resolved.

11. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've never had to use it, but I think that Lemon Laws typically apply to new vehicles only.

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Lemon law ftmfw

13. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    In TN- 4 repairs or 30 days of "lost time" and the dealer has to do something...Either replace it with a comparable working vehicle or refund your all your money less some "reasonable amount" for use (based on IRS mileage allowances and some other stuff).

IN TN- 4 ATTEMPTS IS REASONABLE- So you get this repair and then you can attempt a Lemon Law action (as I read it)- Unless you have been without your car for 30 days total as a result of the repairs.
    They aren't required to work out your deal to get a 350Z and a Taco- but they would at least have to pay off your loan and then you can take your money elsewhere.

As another note- You cannot start legal proceedings against the dealership- The Toyota corporate office has to get involved and the legal mumbojumbo will be with them
    All info for TN and other states found here: http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/TN_law.html

14. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
  15. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.

Exactly in fact send them a "Notice" instead. If you notice them they have a certain amount of time to respond. If they fail to respond in the time frame they will esentially give you a private judgement in your favor. A notary public is handy as well in this type of process.

16. Jan 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    I can't believe they haven't given you any grief or refused repairs due to the lift...

More than my dealer would do...

17. Jan 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i went thru lemon law with my 07 DC prerunner. i had to put money out of my own pocket to get a new truck. an 09 DC 4x4. my pre runner was an sr5 and my 4x4 was stock. all in all im happy i did it but if you dont want to put money out youll have to get toyota to buy your truck back. you can hire a lawyer at toyotas expense.

18. Jan 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  19. Jan 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Definitely a lemon law issue. A relative had an issue like that with a Chevy truck. Rear ends kept going out. Turns out there was something misaligned in the frame and nothing was aligned in the drive train. It had some weird problems and he got rid of it.

20. Jan 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Reading the Lemon Law statute for Tennessee, it reads like you have to be the original owner, or your vehicle has to currently be under the original manufacturer's warranty. Sounds like you might be out of luck. Anyways good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top