1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I dont know anything at all about lift kits

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by East21, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Apr 18, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    East21

East21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pensacola, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    So im new to this. like all this
    I just got my tacoma around christmas time its 2.7 L 4 cylnder prerunner 2x4. the most off-roading im going to do is when i go to the beach and i have to pull off in the sand a little bit. So i really dont need a lift kit for anything, but honestly i just think it looks cool.

I dont want to do anything crazy, i really dont need, or have the money for bigger tires, and i want to keep all my MPG's

so what do yall think? should i get a lift kit?
    if so what are some good ones? how much? and would it void any warrenty? could i get a shop to do it? i really dont trust myself with anything.

haha i told yall i didnt know anything!

2. Apr 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Since you're a 6 lugger, you can use the same components that most of us use...

Check out and for some lift ideas. I can't give you suggestions because I don't know the price range you're looking at.

and Welcome to TW :wave:

3. Apr 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    East21

East21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pensacola, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    I can do $200+ i have that now i can get more hahah

do you think id be ok if i keep stock tires?

4. Apr 19, 2009 at 2:29 AM
    rpparkster

rpparkster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff too. Been learning a lot on the forums and appreciate all the good info. I too am looking to lift my truck, but it is almost purely for looks. I don't really go off-road at all, and at most I might hit some trails or snow when I'm in the mountains.
    Reading through all these forums, I've learned about different types of lifts and extra things you need to consider, but are a lot of these lifts specifically offroad performance enhancements? If I were to just lift my truck and get some bigger tires/wheels, do I need to do the "higher end" of lifts? I know that a lot of ppl here are good with Billstein 5100's and getting a little higher. Is that enough to stuff some 285's and be able to just use it as an everyday driver?
    Thanks for the info and sorry for the long post. I guess I'm just learning all the details into this stuff and I think I might be missing the big picture.
    Thanks.
    rP

5. Apr 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    OP- For that kind of money- Some 5100 shocks will help you level out the front end. You won't have to get bigger tires to make it look right, you won't lose much in the way of mpgs (you have increased the frontal area-so you may lose some..but not much).

For RP- I if you want to do 285s I think you need to put the billies up as high as they go...but I'm not sure. Welcome to the board too!!

6. Apr 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Welcome to TW :cheers:

7. Apr 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Psst........The 5100's arent springs...they are adjustable shocks........:)

8. Apr 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    East21

East21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pensacola, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    ok cool yall are being really help full

ok. So if i go buy 5100's it will level out the front so it sits a little higher
    and that'd be cool with my P245/75R16 stock tires?

9. Apr 19, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Welcome to TW!!!

10. Apr 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    You got it man, go with the 5100's. Nothing but the best info on this site. Welcome to TW.

11. Apr 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    5100s are your best best but don't forget to factor in install since you need someone to assemble the coilover correctly.

12. Apr 19, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    sapper987

sapper987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD SPORT DCLB Silver Streak
    3" Revtek with AAL 17' MotoMetal 955's 265/70 17 Nitto TG's Bed Mat
    If you've read this already sorry. It was a big help for me when deciding what it was I wanted to do. From there if you comb through some of the older post by searching "5100" or "spacer" or "OME", you'll see more of the pros and cons of each as people will post up some of the problems they've run into. Good luck, and post pics :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

13. Apr 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    yeah....i was like 1/2 awake and i didn't want to let that thread jack get in the way....and fixed :wink:

14. Apr 19, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    sapper987

sapper987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD SPORT DCLB Silver Streak
    3" Revtek with AAL 17' MotoMetal 955's 265/70 17 Nitto TG's Bed Mat
    As you are more of a mall crawler, like me, you should be fine with 5100 or spacers. The spacers give a harsher ride. Toytec is a great place to start and they have great customer service. Either way though, with 285's you'll probably have to do a little trimming. Just something to consider.

15. Apr 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    anyone wants som spacers hit me up, I am selling a 2.25" pair

16. Apr 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    rpparkster

rpparkster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Thanks for the posts, and hope I'm not stealing the thread. Thought it was more along the lines of the same topic...sorry OP. Sapper, I read that post a few times and thats what got me thinking that I might be wanting to do too much to the truck when its not going to really be seeing any off road action, like it seems that some of those products are designed for. I do appreciate the link. Its like I wouldn't want to add a twin turbo to my car if I wasn't allowed to drive over 50mph. So knowing my uses for the truck, I don't want to "overdo" a lift if its not going to benefit me in any other way. Thanks again.
    rP

Products Discussed in

To Top