1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I feel like a spy...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dewey7015, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    Dewey7015

Dewey7015 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Traded in my 09 access cab, base, for a 14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport, so they are the entry level of each vehicle. Dropped off the taco, and took delivery on Monday.
    Felt really bad leaving the taco, but it had to be done. I wanted to "report back" to you guys after 2 days of driving the Jeep.
    Some will like this feedback, some won't. If i have learned anything from this experience, it's that both forum boards argue/defend about pretty much the same thing!
    1. First gear. First gear in the taco was so powerful. I just used it to get the truck rolling. Topped out around 10 mph. Jeep has a much more "useable" first gear, FOR ON ROAD. Out four wheeling in the sand, i'm not sure i am going to like this first gear, but i will be geared down in 4wd, so we will see. (went from a standard, to a standard transmission)
    2. gas mileage. 14 in the taco, with new england winter gas. been over 200 miles in the Jeep, an i am getting 18. not great with either vehicle. I went up $125/month with my monthly payment, so I will recoup my savings sometime in 2096...
    3. Interior storage room. Again, I had the 09 access cab. I cannot fit all of the crap i had in all different cubbys, into the Jeep yet. I am using beer coozy's for console organizers. (double duty. lol) Taco has it right putting a compartment in front of the shifter, instead i have a cargo net.
    4. Interior passenger room. obvious.... I am 6'3", my boys are 6'3". we fit fine in the Jeep. In the taco, they said they now know what veal felt like.
    5. Driveability. The taco felt like a racecar vs. the Jeep. I didn't know what the gear ratio was in the taco, but I have 3.21 in the Jeep. I wanted this for increased mileage, but the overall acceleration goes to the Taco. Granted, I am babying the Jeep, because it is 2 days old, with 241 miles on the odo, but that is my initial reaction.
    Overall, a great vehicle straight out of the box. I am not going to add a whole bunch to the Jeep, because it came with just about everything.
    Next on the list is figuring out how to get into this secret "wave at every Jeep" club...

2. Jan 1, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    Lol, people used to wave to my mom in her BMW.

Everything has it's pros and cons so whichever one you like more!

I don't understand your mileage in the taco though. I have a double cab long bed and have been playing a lot of gas pedal in the snow and I am still getting 17-19mpg city highway mix.

3. Jan 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    :wave::wave::wave::thumbsup:

There you go.

If you like what you have then its the vehicle for you.

My wife loves her wrangler.
    I love it too.
    Especially when the garage door breaks on her side and you can do a 180 inside the garage and drive out on my side instead of jacking it up on the dollies and sliding it across.

Enjoy your ride.....

4. Jan 1, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    i agree, the numbers dont add up. i had the taco since new, never got over 19 with it. iridium plugs, never over 2000 rpm's, no crazy oversized tires. just a DD, with occasional beach trip. 20-25,000 miles per year, and never over 19. or, 300 miles per tank, and i had to start thinking about pushing..lol no matter what, a taco will be in my future. Three teenagers right now, so i need the space. (what the hell do the back seat passengers need to do with a console)?! lol

5. Jan 1, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    Maxicooper

Maxicooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellicott City, MD.
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I came from BMW and (new) MINI scene, BMWs do wave some among car enthusiasts. But MINI are more like Jeep, they wave to each other quite a bit (at least in my area).
    Surprisingly I had 5 waves in one day from other Tacos a few day ago, in Strasburg, VA. That was really cool!

6. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    I have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited, and I agree with all your assessments, even point 5 although the Rubicon comes with 4.10 gearing.

LOL, the Jeep wave thing freaked me out for a bit.

7. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I forgot about the "JEEP THING" and the first day we had had it I was thinking I was losing my mind cause i don't remember who these people were. :)

8. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    they are both great vehicles, but i am going with a little more of the bells and whistles on the Jeep, vs how i setup the taco. individual tire pressure monitoring is nice, as well as bluetooth. some will argue that it is one more thing to go wrong, but thats why brand new has a warranty...

9. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    Yes, both great features. I love both the individual tire monitoring and the bluetooth.

10. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    John 2013

John 2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NY
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Tonneau cover, tail lite protectors, weather tech floor mats. Much more to come.
    I love having Bluetooth too. I recently found out that if i use google maps as my gps on my I phone she will speak the directions over the speakers.

11. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    that's awesome! sadly, because they wanted to close the deal in 2013, they brought in what I wanted, without the connectivity package, and they will take my jeep next week and install all the connectivity options. not to talk jeep on a taco website, but cant you tell/show me what buttons you have on your steering wheel? I have the secret radio buttons/controls on the back of the steering wheel, step/reset on the left, and cruise control on the right.
    what else?

12. Jan 1, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Congrats on the purchase. Glad it worked out for you and would love to see some pics. I walk by 2 rubicons owned by doctors every morning in the hospital parking lot thats modded out. Quite impressive to say the least. I should go key the doors walking by but they are LineX'd,lol..Here in north tx, TJs are a dime a dozen and the Jeep wave occurs quite often but most JKs seen in my area are driven by soccer moms that are clueless about the wave except those JKs that are modded. Sometimes I throw out a wave and forget i'm in the Tacoma.

13. Jan 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Congrats on the purchase. Glad it worked out for you and would love to see some pics. I walk by 2 rubicons owned by doctors every morning in the hospital parking lot thats modded out. Quite impressive to say the least. I should go key the doors walking by but they are LineX'd,lol..Here in north tx, TJs are a dime a dozen and the Jeep wave occurs quite often but most JKs seen in my area are driven by soccer moms that are clueless about the wave except those JKs that are modded. Sometimes I throw out a wave and forget i'm in the Tacoma and not the TJ.

14. Jan 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    skiwaves8

skiwaves8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pagosa Springs Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    We have 4 Rubicon's on the ranch they where nice new.They rattle like crazy,acceleration is a joke.We do have 1 size bigger on the tires,they are 2012 so they have a different motor then the new ones.They are noisy and cold because of that crappy fiberglass top with no insulation.The guest that come to the ranch are all excited to see and drive them.They like them in the dirt but hate them on the road.

15. Jan 1, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    This. If my truck wasn't my DD, I'd consider a jeep more. No way a Wrangler will ever be my interstate commuter, even though it's only 30 miles a day.

16. Jan 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    We had a '09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for a while. Nice rig. With the 6 speed manual trans and the stock (32"!) tires we usually averaged almost 23mpg! We only got rid of it because the warranty ran out and it had some rather concerning noises coming from under the hood. Sounded like like timing chain. Next time the wife is due for a new vehicle it's gonna be a tough choice between a new Wrangler and a new 4Runner.

17. Jan 1, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i traded in my regular cab exactly one year ago for a loaded up moab 2 door wrangler.

the truck is great however its not with out some horrible issues. first off water leaks in everywhere i mean everywhere! the mulitple dealers i have taken it to have little clue or ambition to resolve the issue this practically ruins the truck. i miss my toyota i wish they made a tacoma with a solid axle lol.

on a positive note i have off roaded the jeep a fair amount since moving to the mountains in new hampshire and its night and day difference its a beast off road and handles stuff off road with little to no drama. its far more capable than any other vehicle i have ever owned modified or not. with all that being said i still miss the tacoma and i'm bummed i sold it.

18. Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    Bink

Bink Member

Member:
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB SR5
    I have my 2010 DCSB 4x4 and a 93 lifted yj. I love both and they serve different purposes for me. I'd like to have a newer ruby but I need the truck bed.

I don't wave at the stock bitches in their jeeps.

19. Jan 2, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    On the back side of the wheel, left side is track select (back/forward/radio tune). the middle left is preset select. Right side is volume up/down/mute.

20. Jan 2, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    speaking of spies :spy:

Products Discussed in

To Top