1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I mounted 6.5" Ditch lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SteanAZ, May 2, 2017.

1. May 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM
    SteanAZ

SteanAZ [OP] 2005 dbl Cab, 5ft - SR5 4x4

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5
    STOCK
    Recently purchased a 2005 tacoma sr5 4x4 here in Arizona. Super stoked about it! Had to buy something fun for it ASAP. I wanted to install "ditch lights" on the rear of the hood. So I went with some 6.5" Nilight LED lights off Amazon and a Nilight wiring harness, both were like $40. Awesome starters price. I then ordered some CBI mounting brackets for the hood for $60, came with a FREE shirt, which fits perfect. Badass.

The install took a couple hours whilst drinking brews. The brackets fit perfect by the hood mounts. Did not raise my hood or tweak it in any way. The wiring harness could of had a few more inches of play but overall satisfied. Once hooked up i tested each connection, everything seemed good. My only issue, the switch it came with is round, there are the available squared switch mounts by the steering column. So I plan to find something better suited.

As for the Nilight LEDs, they work great but not what I had envisioned. The light spreads out versus beaming forward. Not what I had in mind. They will be great once I add a LED bar(plan on paying the price for quality). But where to put said LED bar? Roof? Grill? Roof rack with LED bar? Once thats decided I may purchase better ditch lights and move these 6.5"ers to the back.

Link to Nilight LED I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IZ9VAOI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here a few photos I have so far. Thanks for readin, please give any suggestions about the LED bar idea.

20170427_213305.jpg
    20170429_003103.jpg
    20170429_003126.jpg
    Snapchat-69697260.jpg

ChadsPride and beertimecontinuum like this.
  2. May 2, 2017 at 12:13 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Nice, you should find them useful. If you would rather have the spots for the front (and I can see why) then those wide lights would make pretty good reverse floods.

You have lots of options to mount a light bar. My wife gifted me some brackets from Rough Country.

[​IMG]
    And yeah, the headlights are over due for a polish.

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. May 2, 2017 at 12:19 AM
    SteanAZ

SteanAZ [OP] 2005 dbl Cab, 5ft - SR5 4x4

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5
    STOCK
    @Dragons Taco yeah the headlights could use a little love! Haha ..your truck looks rad tho! I see the roof rack holds the LED bar. Any noise?

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. May 2, 2017 at 6:12 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    I've got Cooper SST Pro's. Noise from the light? I haven't noticed.
    I drilled the roof under the rack and ran the wire through a grommet. I've got a water proof connector between the two. If I need to I can remove it easily enough (maybe for states that find it illegal, or cities that tend to steal things off trucks)

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top