1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need a compass advice

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by HiKingQueen, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Nov 17, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    HiKingQueen

HiKingQueen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lora
    USA
    I don't own one simply because I know the places I generally frequent. As I searched I realized that we could possibly benefit from a subforum on navigation. Just a thought, but I'd assume there are others like my self that could benefit from such a place. Or possibly a group addressing the topic? So with that said, I need to know specifics on what to look for in a solid option at a reasonable price point, any advice from the list?
    By reasonable I'm thinking/hoping one can be had in the 80-$100 dollar range on the very high end?

2. Nov 17, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    We always used lensatic compasses in the military. Held up well, only went through a couple in my 9 years.

I always got the nicer tritium ones. (Tritium glows, allowing you to see it in the dark)

CMMG Official US Military Tritium Lensatic Compass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W2CJX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pbJ0DbHKM0YS7

whatstcp and windsor like this.
  3. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:22 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  4. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    iPhone google maps. :anonymous:

whatstcp and jsi like this.
  5. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    Rexfordian13

Rexfordian13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Albany/NY Capital District
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    ecoterragaia likes this.
  6. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:56 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Got one sitting in my truck.

whatstcp and t.hornstra[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Nov 19, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    A navigation forum could be interesting, but with modern technology I don't know how much there is to say. Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked for the Forest Service as a surveyor laying out new logging roads. In those pre-GPS days things were very different. I always have a compass and topo maps in my vehicles, but ever since I got a GPS in 1998 and then the Topo Map app on my phone in 2009 they get no use whatsoever. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/topo-maps/id306014271

Having done things the old, hard, manual way I'm still amazed at the ease and accuracy of the modern tools. This is one boomer that will never stay with the old ways when modern technology kicks ass.

^ this ^

Is what I have had in my vehicles for the past 40 years. The current one has been rattling around in the glove box for 20+ years. It's what I learned to use in Forestry surveying classes. But, when I worked as a surveyor we used these and IMHO they are much easier to use.
    https://www.thecompassstore.com/51kb14360rd.html
    [​IMG]

czach likes this.
  8. Dec 3, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    smartbomb

smartbomb rcvr/xmtr

Member:
    usually northwest of you
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-door prerunner long bed
    3" suspension lift, hard canopy, light bar in hood, ditch lights, aircraft cargo bars, powdercoated steel spares, desert tires, bed cargo bars (for rifle cases), misc interior doo-dads
    i've never been short of words on subjects I've been passionate about, especially when teaching.

so strap in.

a solid first choice for a compass would be a Brunton TruArc 7. it has all the functionality of higher-end compasses at a much lower price point. typically around $35, I have found them as low as $12 new.

you can use it as a sighting compass, or a traditional baseplate hand-held. good for beginners that don't know what they prefer or need in function.

shorter distances? traditional hand-held is fine. but for longer distances you could probably use a sighting compass, especially if you're doing intersection and resection for determining locations.

using a sighting compass is where you find out the importance in compass quality. like: the more precise the bearing movement, and the more finely-divided the bezel scale graduations, the more accurate your azimuth shots will be.

is this respect, the TruArc 7 is a good student compass. and for what it's worth, it also has a simple inclinometer

if you're doing seriously short legs with a lot of varying terrain, you could probably get by with a simple button compass for referencing directions. i use an old SandY wrist compass for fast orienteering or just walking trail systems.

more importantly, learn to use a map. and not just any maps, decently-scaled maps. the worst ones to use would be BLM maps, they look impressive to a layman, but they aren't scaled well and determining grid locations for a beginner runs a scale from problematic-to-impossible

the domestic gold standard would be USGS 1:24,000.

at that scale they possess excellent terrain clarity and useful marginal data. the down-side to them: they can get expensive (around $15 each) and they are paper, so they take up room and are subject to water-damage.

and at a scale of 1:24,000 the possibility of running into adjacent map sheets becomes a real thing, you might need many maps to cover an entire route, especially if you're navigating from a vehicle (i.e. you can drive faster than you can walk, so you can cover more distance)

with the advent of very cheap digital navigation methods, map-and-compass: isn't as accurate, takes more time, and requires additional knowledge to accomplish.

but with all that said, you will have a greater understanding of how to find and navigate your locations and terrains when using a map and compass.

it's not lazy and doesn't rely on outside systems, and the better you get at it... the less you actually need. the same of which is not true of navigating via GPS.

the more you know, the less you have to carry.

@HiKingQueen
    My advice: get a compass and buy a map for a familiar location, then follow he instructions for how to use the compass. and while you're hiking, just keep track of where you are on the map.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  9. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:36 PM
    runner05

runner05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    I have a Suunto M3 Global and it is pretty reliable.

smartbomb likes this.
  10. Dec 25, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    Still have and use the OG military compass issued to me in the 1980s. They are accurate, last forever, and are virtually bulletproof. There are (and were) many manufacturers, but they all have to meet MilSpec conditions.

grrck and ecoterragaia like this.
  11. Dec 25, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    The lenses got all foggy and became unreadable. So I tore everything down for proper cleaning. Now it's as good as new with the exception of the original cover that has recently became MIA.

20190726_192055.jpg

grrck, ecoterragaia and SigSense like this.
  12. Jan 24, 2020 at 1:42 AM
    grrck

grrck Reluctant Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White SR 2.7 5SPD 4WD
    Older thread, but I am partial to the Brunton M2 compass. They are expensive, and probably overkill, the only reason I like them is it is what I spend most of my military career using to lay in Mortars and for land navigation.

In reality, any decent lensatic compass will work, you just want higher quality when using it for significantly longer distances.

jamesfishn09 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top