1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need a new clutch soon

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ERikV, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Mar 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM
    ERikV

ERikV [OP] Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '99 tacoma SR5 I4 2.7
    None yet
    Hey i had to learn to drive stick some how........just kidding.

But ya its been worn down. Basically its not their yet but its close, its catching high.

What parts are actually replaced when a new clutch is needed. I know the process is not cheap and not something i could do myself. So much for the cheap mods i might have gotten.

Question, another stock clutch or after market. I know its gonna be costly anyhow so i might as well get something good. Ive seen Centerforce clutches for like 400 bucks. I kinda wanna get something better than stock.

I have no idea whats good or what i should go with. fill me in please.

2. Mar 20, 2008 at 3:37 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    It's been a decade since I've swapped a clutch. How many miles do you have on it?

3. Mar 20, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    No useful info from me either. lol My 98 Corolla needed a new clutch about 4 years ago. I let an ex's father do it in his garage. Less than 1,000 miles later I was replacing the whole tranny because something blew up. I managed to limp it back a mile or so to the local repair shop. Needless to say I don't have him do work anymore! So whatever you do, have a reputable shop or dealer do it. Unless you know how to do it yourself. I forget how much it was gonna cost at the shop I eventually went to. The ex's father charged me $300. Thought I was saving money, but it cost more in the long run. Should've just paid more to begin with. Would've saved money in the long run.

4. Mar 20, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    ERikV

ERikV [OP] Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '99 tacoma SR5 I4 2.7
    None yet
    I know, its a big ass process and ya, its 4wd.

108,000 or so I did learn on it and smelled it a few times but i doubt that put a huge dent in it. I shift fine now.

It was 60% . Is it something you can have adjusted. I really know nothing when it comes to this kind of tech stuff.

5. May 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I know im new here and all but i might have some useful info on this for you.

I had a 2000 taco 5 speed. at about 70,000 miles my clutch started to catch close to the top and i was looking into buying another one but i decided to let it fail completely before i replaced it. I didnt know how the previous 2 owners drove it so i wanted to wait untill it was completely dead first. Well to make a long story short, toyota just bought that truck back because of rust with 145,000 miles on it and the same clutch.

Dont know if that helps or not.

I put over 60k on it with it catching close to the top. Hydrolic clutches can fool you sometimes. So ive been told...I dont know a whole lot but i do know some...

Maybe somebody else can chime in with some more useful info for you...

6. May 9, 2008 at 7:57 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I wouldn't necessarily judge clutch wear by clutch engagement point. I had a 94 Toyota Pickup with 180,000 on the original clutch. It grabbed at the top of the pedal but the clutch held fine and never slipped. Bottom line is if the clutch start slipping you KNOW it's worn and you should replace it ASAP.

Products Discussed in

To Top