1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need and audio NERD'S help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xwillx93, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    My Set-up:
    100_0836.jpg
    Kenwood DDX616 touch screen
    A Sony Amp under the driver seat
    and a 10" kicker in a custom made box
    (i have a reg cab)

What i want:
    new tweekers and speakers,
    1 extra speaker behind the middle seat of my bench
    and 1 more 10" kicker

Questions:
    1. I want another sub so i'll purchase another 10" kicker and make another box and run it off the same sony amp.

2. I want to buy another amp to power the speakers...so if i place that underneath my passenger seat, is there a way i can connect the 2 amps without having to wire the new amp to my battery? possibly through RCA cables?

3. Is 2 amps, 2 subs, and 5 speakers going to be too much for the battery to the point where it starts dimming the headlights?

Thanks guys

mail.jpg

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
  3. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :)

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    I see that some good advise has already been given, I'm going to add some to it.

For a component set, I recently purchased JL Audio C2-650's to put in my truck. At work, we just did a custom sound system in an '09 Matrix (the build can be seen on ToyotaNation forum here) with these components, the 2-way C2-650X's in the rear doors, and a 10W3V3 2 ohm sub in a custom box. Those components sound awesome. Can be found on eBay for ~$150 shipped.

As mentioned, I'd run two 8 gauge wires to power your amps, maybe adding a 1 Farad cap to your amp power supply just to ease the stress on the charging system, with the setup you already have, but still upgrade your battery.

Personally, starting with your current setup, I would take a different route building a system. JBL makes a rock-solid 5 channel amp that I would run the components off the front channels, the rear speaker off a bridged rear output, and if your subs are both 4-ohms, run them off the dedicated sub channel. I'd recommend upgrade your current wiring to 4 gauge if you go this route.

The downside is the JBL amp (GTO5355, I think is the model number) is the size of a damn surfboard, so you'd probably have to mount it on the rear of your cab, as opposed to under your seat.

That's a sharp looking box you already have, too bad it's hidden.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Alright thanks guys. But do you think id be better off just selling my amp now and upgrading to one i can run 2 subs and 5 speakers off of? I'd like to keep minimal wire which sorta cuts out the wiring the 2nd amp again. And thanks for the compliment! hopefully i can build another one just like it!

Products Discussed in

To Top