1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need lawn care help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JML50, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Apr 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    JML50

JML50 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So here it is almost May and i still have some big dead spots in my yard. I know we had a harsh winter but my yard looks like shiz. I have already raked and mowed/bagged the dead grass. Couple of questions, can i lay new sod over the dead spots or should i till it then lay it down? I also have spots that are just bare but have good green runners and was wondering if there is anything i can put down to thicken it up like cow man. or some good fertilizer? Oh yeah, i have St. augustine grass. Thanks

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    till it and mix in some good compost. then you can resod. don't use straight cow manure unless it's composted. black kow makes a good compost for that type of application. i'd also spread some compost over your thin spots. the runners will grow quick and fill in quick. you can also use a soil activator to help with quality of the soil. not sure what they have out in florida, but i used medina soil activator here in texas. and... if possible, do a core aeration before the compost and soil activator. i'm having the same issues from our crazy winter.

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
  4. Apr 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I don't think aeration would be beneficial in FL soil. Their soil is pretty sandy and doesn't compact like clay soil does which requires aeration. if you are going to lay some new sod down make sure you bring the grade down so the new sod sits level with the old grass. I would mix up a topsoil mix with some sand & compost to give it a good base. Fortunately St. Augustine is a pretty resiliant grass just like the bermuda I have and you could even get away with plugging the bare spots so when the soils temps get back up the grass should take off. St Augustine spreads like a weed bc it basically is a weed just like bermuda.

5. Apr 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Send a PM to jasonslawncare, he is in Florida and will likely be able to help you out.

6. Apr 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Alright. I read this and got answers to my questions. So no need to write back you could just reply here.

A potential reason yo may be having this problem is often times sprinklers get knocked off a bit and have to be turned to spray everything. There is often a key and you can just twist it. I would check your sprinklers to make sure you're getting full coverage.

If you know that this isn't a case and feel that your grass is a lost cause then check to see if you can get compost from your city. Most of the time it's free. They'll probably have it at your local lawn waste dumping facility. One thing you can do is rake out the old grass and put some of the compost down then lay the sod down and water with the hose to make sure everything is getting watered.

Another way to basically obtain the same results cheaper but with more time and effort is suggested here. I think that this is a great idea and you can even supplement it with the free compost.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070411174214AAeosdk

There is so many things that it could be. Do you have bugs fly up when you walk over the lawn? If so you have cinch bugs in which case laying over new sod can't help.

7. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    What's a lawn? :D

8. May 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    how's the yard looking now?

Products Discussed in

To Top