1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need to catch this big a** fish!

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by PVT Pablo, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Jul 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    So my wife and I went fishing off of my friends backyard which is connected to a series of canals. We were just hanging out, catching small tropical fish and tossing them back, enjoying some beers. Out of no where this behemoth of a fish bites on my wife's line and runs, almost ripping the reel off of the pole out and of her hands. The poles were 50 dollar Walmart specials.

Here's my question, I know nothing about fishing, but my wife enjoyed it, so I want to buy a bigger pole/rod that won't get destroyed by this fish, or at least give her a fighting chance. Not looking to spend a ton of money, but I like buying shit that doesn't suck. The fish she snagged was about three feet long. If I had to guess, I'd say a large Jack. But really I have no idea.

Any help would be great!

2. Jul 26, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Never fished before; at friends cottage I tossed a line in then imagined where it would be as it was sinking then gave a tiny tug and this f'n thing took off with my hook in it's mouth and damn near ripped me off the dock. It got away. Get a big f'n pole.

3. Jul 26, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Haha sounds like you had a similar experience to us.

Perfect, thank you. The poles we used today were twisting so much that I couldn't even reel in the thing when it wasn't fighting. I swear if I put any more pull on the thing (after my wife threw the pole at me haha) I would of snapped the whole thing in half.

4. Jul 26, 2015 at 6:48 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Thanks will do! All we got today was pictures of it thrashin' around.

11800262_882985015111706_2175659630831449634_n.jpg

Blackout14 likes this.
  5. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:04 PM
    WheelInTheSky

WheelInTheSky Ramblin' Man

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed
    Having not a lot of fishing experience my current setup is 2 $30 ugly sticks and 2 $20 Daesu reels. Havn't taken anything over a pound with either of them yet but am looking forward to finding some bigger fish to test them out with. I'm a huge fan of cheap stuff that works!:bananadead:

Blackout14 likes this.
  6. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug base AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    7' graphite rod, one piece, medium flex, firm tip. More guides the better. Mine are custom hand made, having some design similar to St Croix. I only use Penn salt water reels, in a 3000 or 4000 size. They work well, easy to service, parts easy to find when needed. 20# braid, 8' 20# flurocarbon leader. Just enough drag to set the hook, tighten as needed in the fight. Fish salt flats, mangroves & channels up to a mile offshore in a kayak. If its big enough to drag me around, its a good catch, and I get 'free drag' to fight the fish with.

My only problem is when one runs for the mangroves or a dock piling (like a nice snook) and I can't turn them because they drag me with them.

The occasional shark and big ray are lots of fun, but they get cut loose when I get them close enough to see well. :)

7. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    Kotayota

Kotayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC
    Bilstein/Eibach combo, 1.5 rear shackles, 33/12.5/15 Duratracs wrapped around MT Classic IIIs, flowmaster 40, K&N intake, 4way pioneer speakers, mini d2s headlight retrofit, satoshi grill, interior leds
    Get some ugly sticks man. I have a couple of them now some with the fiber glass tip and they don't break. Like it is impossible for an ugly stick to break doesn't matter what size it is. If you get one now and get into fishing more down the road you'll have your ugly stick forever and won't need to keep buying new rods. Penn reels are the best way to go but can get pricey. But keep in mind better quality now will save you some money down the road if you get into it

8. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    A 5-10lb rated reel should work just fine for him, he won't need anything over 10lb line for catching pike. In fact, I would go 5lb line, maybe 7lb so he or she can cast easier and farther considering they're just starting to get into fishing. Common misconception is that you need a higher pound line for bigger fish, really you just need to replace the fishing line each year. You can catch a 40lb pike on 10lb line no problem.

9. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    My bad nomenclature is due to my inexperience. By "Jack" I meant species like the "Almaco Jack or Amberjack" species.

10. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    I have a couple. I like them on light tackle, as long as you get them in a one piece rod. Two piece is ok for 10# and under, like freshwater stuff.

My problem with Ugly Sticks is the tips are often too soft to get a strong hook set in a bony mouth. They do come in stiffer flexs, but you have to look for them. By the way, they can be broken. Don't ask.

Garage sales and CL can turn up some decent finds occasionally. I've rolled the dice on a couple of used reels off ebay too, and done ok. Mostly because I can service them myself. I got 4 Diawa spinners for $15 (including shipping!) that gave descriptions, but sold as parts reels. Two I threw in the trash, two were Black Golds that I kept. I made both work fine with a good cleaning, lubrication and one spring replacement. Kept one, sold one on ebay for $40. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    WheelInTheSky

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed

:bowdown:seeennnnnnnsaaiiii

12. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    Kotayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC
    Bilstein/Eibach combo, 1.5 rear shackles, 33/12.5/15 Duratracs wrapped around MT Classic IIIs, flowmaster 40, K&N intake, 4way pioneer speakers, mini d2s headlight retrofit, satoshi grill, interior leds
    Okay so maybe I exaggerated a little when I said they can't break...:rolleyes: I'm just a little biased cause I love mine more than any of my other rods. I personally have never broken mine and I actually have one of the stiffer ones as well. And I agree on the one piece rods that's pretty much all I use although I am considering to get a 2 piece for my tool box for emergency situations :thumbsup: and btw, you just made me want to go in CL and buy more fishing stuff I don't need, so thanks :annoyed:;)

But OP in reality yes uglys can be broken but if you're looking for a nice reliable good quality rod that won't break the bank than you can't go wrong with them

13. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Correct. What makes them an even greater value used is that someone might look at it as an 'old rod' (and it may be). If it has a couple of broken guides, you can get a great buy (like $5 or less) and re guide to suit your fancy. Still be into it for less than a new one.

Yes, I have a couple of two piece for behind the seat in case I find a pond :)

PS, my breaking them unfortunately was not by big catches, but by careless accidents. And while the tip did break enough to basically ruin the rod, a regular rod would have shattered much further down. So you are correct, they are quite durable.

14. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    WheelInTheSky

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed

The 2 that I have are 2-piece and fit nicely in my truck cab. I love the taste of fresh fish!:) Nothing like some Al-foil and simple seasoning to turn a rainbow trout into a delicacy:thumbsup:

15. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:18 PM
    Kotayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC
    Yup there's been too many times I drive by a pond and think I wish I had my rod. And WheelInTheSky I would kill to be able to fish for trout down here. In my area its bass, bluegill and catfish, and when that gets boring head out to the sea !

16. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    WheelInTheSky

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed

Well my friend, count yourself lucky! Having the sea close to you is nothing to complain about and I envy you for your Bass and Bluegill! The grass is always greener when you can't reach it:thumbsup:

17. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Oh okay, yea that makes more sense. I was thinking, pike in Puerto Rico? Well... maybe? haha.

18. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Yea I know, I more so got confused since his location was Puerto Rico but he said jack fish, which are pike. But yes, now that I know he is in Puerto Rico and fishing salt water fish, what you said is correct. For pike fishing in Canada, you can catch a 40lb+ fish no problem with a 5-10lb reel and 5-10lb line, and that fish would be atleast 4-5 feet and a big ol fatty. A guy I know was on a fishing magazine when he caught a 60 ish lb pike ice fishing. I don't even fully understand how he got it through the small hole in the ice and with an ice fishing rod haha.

Blackout14 likes this.
  19. Jul 27, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Shakespeare Ugly Sticks are horrible rods. Terrible feel, too flexy at the tip and too stiff in the mid section. Bad action. Additionally and even worse, they are heavy. Yes, they are difficult to break, so if your only criteria is durability, then an Ugly Stick fits that criteria.

20. Jul 27, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Durability is a large concern, but I am a novice fisher. I'm just looking for decent equipment to get started. I don't want to buy junk, then have to buy nicer stuff later. I'd rather just start off with nice stuff you know what I mean?

Also, can anyone explain what the 1000, 3000, 10000 ect. series of these reels mean?

Products Discussed in

To Top