1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

i purchased my trucks used and i have a problem...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Marioso, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    how do i get a spare out? i heard i need a special key or something...i bought it used to idk where that would be i doubt i have it i looked everywhere

what can i do?

2. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:06 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....

mmm if you cant find the key, try looking on the documentation, see if there is an order form for the lock key.... when i bought my wheel locks they came with an order form....

3. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Are you talking about your spare tire??:confused:

4. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    You said you heard you need a key or is a lock on the spare tire if so you will need key to unlock it.

5. Aug 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I know that when I purchased a Toyota in 2000 it was suppose to come with an adaptor that fit on the end of the three pols that went together. Its an anti-theft thing for your spare. Just like locking lug nutz! I had to go through Toyota parts department to get a key for that spare. It was a pain in the ass.

Good Luck! :eek:

6. Aug 6, 2008 at 11:29 PM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    well heres the story

i went trailing in mexico and we got to a pit stop and i noticed i had a flat luckily there was a guy to fixes tires..so he couldnt get the plug in my tire so he said well lets use the spare bu the said i needed a key to get it out...so how much am i looking at spending?

7. Aug 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    The locking kit was/is a dealer/port option; so have you determined for sure it does or does not have the spare tire lock? I would guess in my area that 10-15% of the trucks have the option, but a few dealers will order the lock on all pickups/sport utes with outside mounted spares to prevent thefts off the lot. Don't automatically assume it has the lock; crawl under and have a look.

8. Aug 7, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    well im sure it was locked since he couldnt get it out and he said theres a hole in ur bumper where the key would go through

9. Aug 8, 2008 at 5:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now

Like surfsupl said, in the tool kit, there are rods that you put together. One of the rods look different, like a hook.
    1. You put em together & stick the end with the hook thru the small "keyhole" slot that sits below your tailgate but above your bumper.
    2. There's a guide on the keyhole that helps line up the hook at the opposite end.
    3. Once hooked up, you then turn the rod similiar to using a bottle jack to lower the cable mechanism holding the spare.

The manual has to have pics, mine is in the truck outside so maybe someone else can confirm this.

10. Aug 9, 2008 at 1:42 AM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    -
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He said he "heard" it needed a key, and he has looked "everywhere" for it, but he does not know what it looks like anyway. The key may be on the last section of the fold out/piece together crank assy, or it may not even need a key as it might not be equipped with the OPTIONAL spare tire lock. Just talking and wondering will not help, he needs to look under the truck to see if it is indeed equipped with a lock or not. The hole in the filler strip between the bumper and bed is for the tool to pass through, whether it is equipped with a lock or not. McGard supplies most of the accessory wheel/spare tire lock kits to the port centers/dealers, and the installer is supposed to place a sticker with the code numbers on the glovebox door, or at least put it with the other paperwork supplied with the vehicle. I don't think that the spare lock has as many different code variations as the 4 road wheels do so if it has a key AWOL, it may not be too hard to find one.

Products Discussed in

To Top