1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think the taco can handle this camper but want to make sure

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lunercrab, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
  2. May 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Oh FYI we wouldn't be towing it loaded with water just propane and personals.

3. May 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    It could handle it, it will just take a while to get up to speed and get bad mpg, but it can do it.

4. May 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    depending on your toyotec kit, make sure your leafs are up to snuff, also Wheeler's told me that I should invest in airbags and I tow much lighter loads than that beast

5. May 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Well the toytec kit is brand new. I maybe put 1k at most on the aal. Truck has like 7k on it so leaves are still stiff as hell. I'm more worried about my tranny and engine pulling this thing. I don't wanna overkill it. I mean we drive maybe 60 miles max 5-8 times a year to our local campground and everyother year we take a 600 mile trip down to Maryland back and forth. So we wouldn't be towing it a super amount.

6. May 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Do you have the 7-pin adapter already installed on your truck? In other words, do you have the tow package from the factory?

If not, you'll need to add an aftermarket transmission cooler.

If you do have it, (which I think you likely do but be sure), you'll be fine.

Get you a nice brake controller (Prodigy P3 IMO), a weight dist hitch, swaybars, and you're set.

If you don't like the sag still there if the WD hitch doesn't cinch most of it up, or you get alot of bucking action when stopping, invest in Air-Lift of Firestone air bags. Just don't offroad with the bags, you'll tear them up. If you off-road, people on here like the Tiembrens instead of the bags.

But regarding engine / tranny, I pull something similar @ 65 on the highway in rolling hills and as long as you're not in a hurry, it will do it quite nicely. Heavier/bigger tires like you have might affect towing performance. I'd keep it around 55 - 60 max until you are more comfortable with the trailer.

7. May 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I get it, you just wanted to show off your new camper :D

The Tacoma should handle it alright. I'd recommend W/D hitch, sway control and a good brake controller, as mentioned above.

8. May 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    It will handle it. I tow a Toy Hauler @ 4100 empty, then load an 800 lb motorcycle and about another 200 lbs in gear. It tows it decent enought to get from point a to point b. Headwinds are a major drag and kill mpg quite significantly.

here is what I tow. OH, I use a WDH & have the Firestone Ride Rite air ride and have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller.

[​IMG]

9. May 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    TacoGK

TacoGK Making changes is always fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC trd offroad sr5 debadged
    20% tint JLAudio amp and 12" sub, custom fiberglass tool box, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Anytime Fog light mod, Anytime rearview camera, Leveling kit, Rear spring TSB, Moto Metal MO957 Black, 285/70/17 BFG AT KO, DTRL Stealth mod, Anytime locker mod, Constant power mod.
    Congratulations on getting the new travel trailer. It looks like it is a very nice one. You and your family will enjoy it.

Now to my opinion and thoughts.......

We are picking up our "new-to-us" 2009 coleman highlander niagara pop up Wednesday. I went with a pop up vs a TT due to wanting to have some thing that is lighter, easier to pull with less wind resistance, and hopefully get better gas milage. Over the years I have owned a 24' Dutchman TT, 26' Flagstaff TT, and currently own a 30' Thor 5th wheel until Wednesday. When it comes to towing, the closer you get to the max towing capacity of the tow vehicle the harder it will be to tow. Not so much on flat ground but when you start getting in to hills, over passes, bridges etc.... Also the heavier you get to the max capacity of the tow vehicle the harder it is to start and stop the vehicle. Also this TT is 4200# and you can add another 2400# to it so if you load it up you will be at the Tacos Max limit. IMPO you will be able to Pull it and Stop it with the proper weight distribution hitch and Electric brakes. It will just be harder on the truck.

10. May 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    hedman

hedman The Ghost

Member:
    Canada BC
    Vehicle:
    18 DBL CAB LB TRD SPORT
  11. May 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    the transmission was designed to be in a larger v8 application so it will be fine just dont let it hunt for gears and keep it in 4. I would not worry about the engine having problems.

12. May 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Sweet thanks guys. Not sure if we will be able to get it yet or not. Right now i only have experience towing a little 1400lb popup. So this will be really new to me. I'm gunna have to really take it slow for awhile.

13. May 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    hedman

hedman The Ghost

Member:
    Canada BC
    Vehicle:
    18 DBL CAB LB TRD SPORT
    with a good WDH and a decent setup you will be surprised at how well you can go down the highway. I get little to no drift through the corners and down the straight aways compared to some of the things that i towed before with other vehicles.

14. May 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    X2 on that, towing/hauling heavy i manually shift gears taking off to use the higher end of the rpm band (not too high though), and fourth works great on most grades below say 4%

15. May 3, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Agree. I run 4th 99% of the time, and when I hit 3rd, the truck really pulls pretty hard, even uphills.

16. May 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    This is a pretty big camper. i tow a smaller R-Pod , about 1000 lbs less then yours and about 6' shorter.
    My longest trip was when I got back from Ohio , where I bought the Camper.
    I can tell you that the truck, with a supercharger, had a hard time to keep at 60-65 mph in West Virginia mountains.
    Now the same truck had less trouble to pull about 8000 lbs -construction equipment- from Baltimore to NJ. Also with the camper I had almost -no sway in the back -compare to the 8000 lbs trailler. My explanation is that the camper is been stabilized by the front air pressure and so far I see no reason to install a sway bar.
    What I am trying to tell you ,, is that - is not the weight but the aerodynamics that will put a load on your truck.
    If you don't do too much Highway ??? then you will be fine. With the transmission on 4th you will cruise fine at 55 mph. Anything faster and the truck will down shift a lot.

I installed a set of Firestone (5000 lbs) air bags in the back and they handle pretty good the weight of the trailer with a honda generator mounted right on top of the camper tongue..
    I put about 40 psi in the back tires (keep to 30 psi in the front) and about 30 psi in the air bags.
    Brake controller is a must. Try to spend a little bit more and get a good quality one. Is your life we are talking about it.
    Thats a nice camper and I hope you will have a lots of fun.

Happy camping

17. May 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    This is true. I've pulled a 5x10 utility trailer EMPTY and go the same MPG when pulling my 22' Travel Trailer because the utility trailer has one of the drop gates on the back.

If it's a windy day with the unloaded utility trailer i'll get 12 - 14 tops, and with the travel trailer on a non windy day I can still get 12 MPG.

That's a 3000 # difference and pretty much same MPGs and similar load on truck according to scangauge. Once you get that thing moving it's the wind that's trying to stop you more than gravity. Of course, when you need to stop fast, gravity reminds you it's still in charge with all his momentum crap and stuff.

PS: BTW, rock on r-Pods.

18. May 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    SCOTT'S TACO LOCO

SCOTT'S TACO LOCO Orange It.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Antonio, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Toy-yo-duh TACO TRD
    Buy one of these instead, much better built camper than most out on the market!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IvdfjtbfXQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuPLabRT6E&feature=player_embedded

19. May 5, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    The greatest factor of quality and long lasting durability of the trailer is the owner, and their maintenance schedule. Along with storing covered vs uncovered, checking regularly for issues. It's like a tiny house on wheels which get shook up occasionally.

My father in law had a Jayco from 1985 or 1986 till 2004, and it still ran like a champ. It had some maintenance issues, but since it was paid and owned for almost 20 years, it was a good investment. He said he probably put $200- $350 a year into it, some years less, some more, but averaging it over that time. Not bad for 2 decades of use with the family.

That said, the Camp Lite do look great indeed. I'm all for anything that gets you out there having fun and keeps the maintenance down.

20. Aug 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Your problem will be the 580lbs tongue weight, that is dry. Add 100lbs for battery and propane (not included in the spec normally), and another 80lbs + for the WDH and you are looking at 760lbs without water or anything else in the trailer.
    Got to find a way to lower that.

Products Discussed in

To Top