1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I upgraded to bigger tires!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by docmorrison007, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Apr 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM
    docmorrison007

docmorrison007 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double Cab
    Headlights, taillights, 3rd breaklight, exhaust, leveling kit, 17inch fuel wheels, 33inch tires, tinted windows.
    Hey guys I have some questions that I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced. I have a 2011 Tacoma TRD Double Cab and I went with a leveling kit and 33's. I love the look of it but I seem to be going through a lot of gas. With the V6 I didn't think going up to a 33 would be so dramatic. It also seems like my transmission seems to jump up and down out of gear more often then before too. Again with a V6 I didn't think I was going to see so many changes just by going with a 33inch tire. I guess my question is if this is normal and what should I do about it? I was thinking of taking it to the dealership to see if they can reprogram my computer to adjust for the tire size or maybe just upgrade the gears to a 4:88

2. Apr 4, 2018 at 4:15 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    4.88 is a big jump. If you have an automatic 4.30 will get you close to stock gearing and if you have a manual you'll want 4.56.

docmorrison007[OP] and Rob Daman like this.
  3. Apr 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    docmorrison007

docmorrison007 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double Cab
    Headlights, taillights, 3rd breaklight, exhaust, leveling kit, 17inch fuel wheels, 33inch tires, tinted windows.
    Thanks for the response! So do you think that it is a gear issue at this point rather than having my computer reprogramed to running a 33?

4. Apr 4, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    It’s a gearing issue with the trans shifting differently for sure. I had issues before the re-gear too.

5. Apr 4, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    What load range are your new tires? Heavier tires will suck down fuel as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top