1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I Wanna Fit In!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Streak09, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    Streak09

Streak09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB Barcelona Red
    Hello everyone! New member who is currently Taco-less, but looking to fill the void here soon!

My wife and I are expecting a little one in April, so I need to upgrade to something with a back seat. I currently have a standard cab '05 F-150 which is not gonna fly with a car seat. We are fairly outdoorsy, and would like to stay that way. Gotta stay with a truck and I know you just cant beat the value of a Toyota, so I've landed myself here to do some research, and join the community once I find my ride!

My dad currently has a 2001 extended cab Taco (4 cylinder), with over 300k on the clock! He has done very little maintenance (basically oil changes) to achieve those 300k. He had a standard cab Toyota before that, and we had a Camry as a family car for a long time when I was younger. All of that has left a very good impression on me for Toyota.

I would love to have a new shiny Gen 3, but budget is not gonna allow that with the kiddo on the way. With the little research I've done, I think I want to go with a 2012+ (or 2013+, not sure of differences???) Double Cab, Long Bed, preferably TRD Sport. I'm usually not a fan of white or black vehicles, but both of those are really catching my eye now, especially white.

I've researched rear seat room, and it sounds like the space of the double cab is a non-issue for most. Rear-facing car seat in the middle, then behind passenger when becomes forward facing (planning on keeping this truck for a looong time). I'm 6', my wife is 5', so neither of us need to scoot all the way back.

I've got a lot of motorcycles and do quite a bit of house work which leads to the long bed. I just don't think I would be happy with a short bed.

Well, that's my intro! I will be posting in the For Sale / Wanted forum and probably in the Gen 2 forum as well! I appreciate any insight you guys have for me!

gabbo2112, medic2230, Jon G and 2 others like this.
  2. Sep 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    brown2498

brown2498 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Super White Tacoma TRD
    Can't wait to see what you get man! Welcome to TW!

3. Sep 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    Cokid

Cokid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Cahone, Co.
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road/ 85 sr5 extcab
    Welcome to tw :hattip:

4. Sep 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
  5. Sep 20, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    blksandpearl2010

blksandpearl2010 Yeah, yeah...

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 LB trdSport
    old man emu, nitrocharger shocks, darkar leaf springs, bbs wheels, access tonneau cover, laufen AT 275/65/18,
    No discernable difference in 2012-2015 I believe maybe some color choices and changes to entertainment screen. Really only minor things.

DCLB is great for "truck" needs oal is 221"
    And congrats on upcoming little one my wife and I just had our first girl in March.

:hattip:

Cativelense and Drainbung like this.
  6. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:49 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
  7. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome. The only thing to really look or ask about is the secondary air pump. I think it was in the 2012 and some other years not sure which though. Yes to with the long bed with as much stuff as you do. Congrats to you and your wife on the new arrival and GL with the truck search.

medic2230 and ODNAREM like this.
  8. Sep 20, 2017 at 11:16 PM
    henryp

henryp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Form follows function
    Congrats on the baby. The car seat will fit on a double cab. However it will be a little cramped if you have long legs. Some people over 6’ may find the ride a little tight on long trips. Get a car seat and take a taco on a test drive. Try it with the seat behind the driver then switch to the passenger side. Make sure to take the wife and try both sitting positions.

9. Sep 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    Streak09

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Planning on test driving a local 2012 short bed just to see how I like it. I may see if I can bum a car seat to test with lol

Thanks JaCado for tip on the secondary air pump. I'll look into that.

While I'm at it, any major differences between 2011 and 2012? I know the front end is a little different as well as the steering wheel and center stack. Other than that, any functional items?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. Sep 21, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    I married my tacoma

I married my tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Location, Location, Location
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma
    Welcome and congrats on welcoming (2) great new things into your world! Taco + baby

:wave::woot:

11. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:07 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    I have a 2014 DCSB and have two car seats in the back of mine. One forward facing for my 3 year old, and one rear facing for me 18 month old. No problems with that at all. Even when we just had one, and had it in the middle, still no issue. You're good to go!

And congrats on the little one!

12. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    TRD-ED

TRD-ED Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir NC.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO - 2023 Genesis GV70
    Stock FOX 275/65/18 At3w 18X9 Fuel Vapor's
    Welcome And congratulations on the little one on the way. I have a 2012 DC Sport short bed. I bought new about 6 years ago.
    You might check out my "Not my build but my life with my Tacoma" thread. It might give you a little insight on life with, and my thoughts after 6 years
    of owning a 2012-15 double cab. The threads not finished as I still add to occasionally as I get time. As far as 2011 to 2012 Toyota did quite a bit or restyling, not a remake but still a lot of changes. Most think the 2012's-2015's look much improved.
    I added a link below to my "not my build thread". Check it out if you get an extra minute.
    And again congrats on the little one. :thumbsup:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...inions-after-6-years-and-40-000-miles.507341/

13. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Welcome to TW!

14. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:34 AM
    Jon G

Jon G Hoarding Tacomas one at a time,

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    St John's Newfoundland Canada
    Vehicle:
    02, 04 & 07 Tacoma
    Magnaflow 2.5 Catback Exhaust K&N filter

I am in the same boat :)

15. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Welcome to TW and congrats on the kiddo! :wave:

16. Sep 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    Streak09

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    Great to hear! I really want this to last me a while, so its encouraging hearing you have two car seats back there!

Thanks for all the congrats and welcomes!

Cativelense[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 23, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    Streak09

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    A bit discouraged after reading up on the Secondary Air Pump issues...

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Simple fix when you get it. Then you won't have to worry about it.

tcjacado likes this.
  19. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    Streak09

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    Yea, probably will bypass it as soon as I get it. More discouraged with the lack of acknowledgement on Toyota's part, not actually fixing it. Its pretty obvious the failure comes from a sub-par system/parts.

tcjacado and medic2230[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    Streak09

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dayton O! H! I! O!
    Vehicle:
    Update on my search!

I test drove a local '12 Short Bed TRD Sport this week. Decent truck, but 70k miles and it looks like it was heavily used. Wasn't terrible shape, but a little worse than what I want. Never considered buying because of the short bed anyways, just testing it out because I haven't been in a Gen2 before.

Also drove a 2013 LB TRD Sport in Michigan while out of town yesterday. Super clean truck, but had a hint of smoke smell. Very clean undercarriage and it was a truck that that particular dealer sold in 2013 new, and had all maintenance done at that location. So it had a great paper trail. It was priced a little higher than I'm looking for, and it was grey, so again, just a test drive to see how I like the trucks in general.

I learned a few things driving them.

• They are super solid compared to my '05 F150 with 150k on the clock (surprise surprise LOL). No rattles and good riding trucks. Very little body roll in my opinion, compared to other SUVs and trucks I've driven. I travel a lot for work so I've driven a ton of rentals, so I think I have a pretty good pool to judge from.
    • Definitely want a long bed. Maneuvering it inst any worse than my single cab F-150, may even be better because of the width. So that eliminates any concerns I had there.
    • Definitely want the TRD Sport. I like the corny hood scoop and sporty suspension.
    • Color... this is the biggie. Ive been snooping around on here looking at threads about colors and suspension set ups, mods etc. I am reaaaallly liking the Super White, especially with some blacked out badges and grill. Not sold on blacked out wheels though. I mentioned to my wife last night that I think I decided on a color, and she was not fond that my chosen color was white. In fact I think "No" was her response. If I still decide on white, it wouldn't be the first time I went against her on a decision :angrygirl:. That being said, that Barcelona Red is really growing on me... decisions... I think black is out, just because of how much of a pain it is to keep black clean. I know red is no walk in the park either, but its better. White should be pretty easy. Another point for while, plus it hides scratches much easier.
    Im gonna try to be as patient as possible and get exactly what I want, because I want to keep this as long as possible.

Anyone interested in a single cab F150!?!? I would really like to sell before moving on a Taco.

As always, thoughts and suggestions welcome!

IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0330.jpg

tinker_troy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top