1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I would like some advice on a dog that I'm taking in.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by elmontemike, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    elmontemike

elmontemike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hello TW. I will taking in a 5 year old German Shepherd. I have met him 3 times and we seem to get along. I've taken my Nephew and his girlfriend to meet him too. My nephew lives with me and his girl seems to always be around.
    I've talked to the owner and I have his retine down. What to feed him, when to feed him ...
    You can tell the dog knows something is up. My question is, what should I do to help the dog through the transition to a new home? The owner had his as a puppy and grew up with the family.
    I have had 3 German Shepherds before but it's been about 25 years since my last one. I do have a gig enough yard for him and will come inside at night.
    Any thoughts and advice would be very appreciated.
    Thanks TW.

2. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Building trust was a big one for me. Start with simple boiled rice and boiled chicken, let them see you provide the food and work your way up from there.

Don't make any direct eye contact or challenge assertion at the beginning, they are scared to death.

Any history of abuse with the dog complicates things, but patience is a big quality you'll need.

Sheppard's are smart and loyal, share a pic once you have the dog!

3. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    just show him unconditional love. he might be depressed for a bit but he will be fine. Good structure, consistent and fair training, boundaries. build trust with the dog. You could start with hand feeding the dog as well to help

elmontemike[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    kairo

kairo >_>

Member:
    Nor Nev
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR DCLB Quicksand
    I'd add don't really force the dog to do anything for a while. If he wants to chill by himself in a corner for a bit, that's ok. He might not eat all his food or drink a lot of water until he settles in. He'll come around as long as he sees you guys living your normal life, and figures out nothing's going to hurt him.

b_r_o, rando451, Thunder Fist and 2 others like this.
  5. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:48 PM
    AntMan408

AntMan408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner off-road, 2022 Tacoma Offroad
    4runner: King Shocks Front/Rear SPC UCA’s SPC rear control arms Icon Rear Springs 52700 Icon Panhard Bar SCS 10’s RCI Skids and Sliders CBI Baja Bumper w/Diode dynamic lightbar RCI Roof Rack Tacoma: King Shocks Front/Rear Camburg UCA’s Deaver Expedition Stage 1 Leaf Pack SCS Gen 5 RCI Skids RCI Sliders BAMF Hybrid Bumper RCI Roof Rack
    Hand feed making the dog work for his meals. Don’t coddle him. Set your own routine for the dog. Crate train. The bond will come. And remember NILIF (nothing in life is free).

6. Mar 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys. That's some good advice. I'll post up a picture of him this weekend.

7. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    dmurph1996

dmurph1996 Beer me

Member:
    First Name:
    murph
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Take everything slow and steady. Lots and lots of love, toys, treats, almost buy his love lol.

8. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    If he has training, continue to reinforce that. If he's never done any kind training, you can find some basic, inexpensive training at many pet stores. Shepherds respond really well to training. Dogs like that thrive on mental engagement.

elmontemike[OP], vtown and Norms_207 like this.
  9. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Norms_207

Norms_207 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    My Shepherd loves his crate, we bought a crate cover for it and keep a comfortable bed in there as well. We almost always just leave it open for him to come and go as he pleases (how/if you want to crate train is up to you of course) but he seems to really appreciate having his own space. Throw a marrow bone in there and he is happy as can be.

elmontemike[OP] and Thunder Fist like this.
  10. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Walks. Long walks. Frequent walks. Leash training.

Treats, pets, play for wanted behavior. Absolutely, NO PUNISHMENT. The treatment only results in a fearful dog. The punishment is withholding of praise and the reward.

Good luck

303tacoma, elmontemike[OP] and vtown like this.
  11. Mar 17, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    OP,

Good for you! I am on my third rescue and there is such a joy seeing once a rescue comes into his or her own! A few comments that might help -- many echoing what others have said:

1) Get a good crate. Always leave the door open. The crate is not to punish but it is a safe space.

2) Let the dog come to you, don't go to the dog. He will feel cornered if you approach.

3) I find keeping the noise level down helps, too. Loud music, loud TV or even talking loud. For the time being, the lower the noise and the calmer the house the faster the dog adjusts.

4) Bacon is your friend. No dog can resist bacon. It is a scientific fact. :). Have some bacon on hand. Real bacon. Salmon skin works great too. Go in the general area of the dog and leave a piece on the floor so he/she can smell it. Slowly get them eating and then move the food closer. Before you know if they will be eating out of your hand.

Overall, though, what you will find is that these dogs -- even if they have gone through some crazy stuff -- rebound faster than you think. That dog will be a fun, healthy and loving dog before you know it !

Good luck ! Can't wait to see pictures ! Rescuing a dog is one of those things everyone should do once in their lives ... it changes you ! :)

Sorry. I get excited about dogs and rescues.

12. Mar 17, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    vtown

vtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Access TRD OR 4x4 V6 6spd
    Good advice here. I also recommend training sessions after he's had some time to settle in. Dogs need a job, and they usually want to please you. In class tends to be more effective IMO. And remember that the first training sessions are about training YOU to train the dog. You need to do the work in and out of class time. 10 min sessions once you get a routine can make a great dog.

13. Mar 17, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Another very good bonding activity is Grooming.

Begin simple, after the dog is comfortable being touched by you, then you can start with a brush. Let the dog inspect the brush. Treat. Touch the back of the brush to the dog's back, treat......step by step. Treat at each step. Grooming needs to be calm.

Gradually work up to full brushing and bathing. Toenails too. Begin by handling the paws. Introduce the clippers, grinder, the tool using the same method as the brush introduction.

No need to force, just be calm & assertive and aware of the dog's discomfort. Don't worry if you need to back up a few steps and repeat.

This is a TRUST builder.

14. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I picked up my shepherd on Saturday morning and just spent the whole day with him. I said earlier that I was rescuing him but I think the correct term would be adopting him. He wasn't in a shelter but I did find him through my local shelter. He went straight from his old home to his new home. After spending time with him, the story that the previous owner gave me isn't adding up. IMHO. I will never know for sure. Ican see that he's a little sad but we have bonded well so far. He came from a home with 2 kids and another dog to just me and my nephew. I think he's adjusting pretty well. So far so good.

melikeymy beer, ColoradoTJ and vtown like this.
  15. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    The previous owner said he had some training but it seems it's been awhile since it was in practice. I'm going to start on a couple of things today and work my way up.
    :cheers:

16. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I've never had a crate trained dog before, but I'm ready a lot of good things about it. I'm going to give it some thought. Thanks.

17. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    He does like walks, forsure. I agree. No punishment. He acts as if he has been hit a few times or maybe he's still uneasy about his new situation. He definitely loves to be loved on.

18. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike

Yep. He loves bacon. It's a nice treat for him. I do think we are going to make a great team. Thanks.

:dancingbacon: :dancingbacon: :dancingbacon:

19. Mar 22, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike

I am looking into training classes for him. I would like to start with in person classes. I believe that it's a better way to start. Now that we are a little more relaxed with the C-19 restrictions, I'm looking for a place to go to and reading a lot of review to see which place will be the best fit for us.

:cheers:

vtown[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 22, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks op. He definitely need grooming. Lot's of hair. He's not very fond of the brush that came home with him. I'm going to stop later today and pick up a new brush for him.

Glenny likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top