1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Sep 15, 2008.

?

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

1. Icon

372 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. King RR

362 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Awe. Reading some if my noob posts when I was trying to decide on my set up . Good stuff .

2. JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Tacoma, Icon Stage 4
    DeBadged Tinted Windows Tinted Tail Lights Icon Extended Travel RR C/O's, with CDCV Icon Tubular UCA's w/Uniball caps Icon 2.5 inch RR rear shocks Icon progressive add a pack 17x9 ATX ledge 285, 75 R17 Toyo Open Country AT2's Rigid LED Grill w/20 inch Amber SR light bar Weather techs
    I went with the Icon stage 4 with the compression adjuster nobs and 2.5 inch rear shocks with remote resis... Buttery smooth and way better than the stock TRD suspension.. Totally in love with this set up

3. B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    I've been trying to decide on which to go with between these two, King and ICON, for the last couple weeks. After reading as much as I can find and talking to MANY different companies that sell both of these products I've come to the conclusion they both are top notch and neither is really any better than the other. I was initially leaning toward King's product but my Tacoma is black and the blue shocks and springs, IMO, wouldn't look good and I don't see the point of paying extra to special order black King's when I can get ICONS that are equally as good and are already black and silver.

4. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Nice man....already running those compression adjusters huh? What did they run you? Need to come wheeling with us AZ guys soon! :D

5. JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Tacoma, Icon Stage 4
    DeBadged Tinted Windows Tinted Tail Lights Icon Extended Travel RR C/O's, with CDCV Icon Tubular UCA's w/Uniball caps Icon 2.5 inch RR rear shocks Icon progressive add a pack 17x9 ATX ledge 285, 75 R17 Toyo Open Country AT2's Rigid LED Grill w/20 inch Amber SR light bar Weather techs
    Thanks man, I am really happy with them so far.. SDHQ charged me roughly $1,600 for them, but I got a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I had a pretty good sized bill..

Anyhow, I'd love to go wheeling and meet some of you guys..

6. BeEatNU

BeEatNU Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Gardena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab Limited
    I have graphite, and I am in the same situation but I was like fuck it. I just got my kings installed, they feel amazing. it sucks they are just blue/silver unless you special order which I learned after the fact :/

My emblems are hydrodipped with a special pattern that contains mainly red :(

7. TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Leer 100XL Custom grill
    I was at icon yesterday to pick up a few peoples orders and I will say as far as the attitude of the employees and the pace of work being done icon is the way to go. Toyotas are their bread and butter so I believe they are the best choice for any of us on this forum.

For all out race performance king is probably better.

I think icon is more customer oriented and they are always trying to develope new products. If we give our money to king were just gonna see more shock applications come out, no new products for us. If you use icon your going to see new uca designs with improvements like the new tubulars and the dust cap which no one else has thought of or offered til now. This is for the customer aimed at prolonging the life of the joint and keeping noise down. From the sales manager at icon, these were designed because the customers were asking for it. No one else is that responsive to us.

They have been around since 2000 under a different name which had great products for a great price, they tried to price themselves so that everyone could afford their c/o's and I appreciate that. They are employee owned so everyone has an interest in turing out the highest quality part or giving the best customer service.

I'm not a multimillionaire with a tt or class 1 so I prefer icon

8. KevbekTacoma

KevbekTacoma To Be Continued...........

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '12, 4X4, DCSB, MT
    KING 2.5 RR (Front/Rear), TC UCA, DAKARS, MTR W/ KEVLAR, SCS SR8, TUBE BUMPERS, SLIDERS, MF CAT BACK, LIGHTS.
  9. dillonk1602

dillonk1602 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dillon
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 5 lug
    I like icon but so fair as rebuilding them it a bitch

10. HOOTERBIRD

HOOTERBIRD Yeah You Right !

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport, 4X4
    • Cat Back Borla Exhaust System • Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Scoop • Black FJ TRD TT 16” Wheels 285/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO • Icon Extended Travel Front Coil-over Shocks • Icon Monotube 2.0 Aluminum Rear Shocks • Icon Tubular UCAs • OME Dakar Leaf Springs • Front Differential Drop Kit • OME Carrier Bearing Spacer Kit • Hardwired Cobra Radar Detector • Max Liner Floor Mats • Undercover Tonneau Cover • Black Powder coat Devil Horns, Made By Andres • TRD Low profile Carbon Fiber Radio Antenna • LED Map & Dome lights • LED front corner lights • LED Reverse lights • LED License Plate lights • Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod
  11. 06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Reg cab 4x4
    This is why I prefer King. The Schrader valve for King versus the needle port on Icon makes it easier and less stress to rebuild them. However, they are both great shocks and I beat the crap out of my old Donahoe Racing (now Icon) coilovers back in the day with no issues.

12. HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    I have kings and love them. I called their customer service and they were great. Icons are good ae well. Just pick a color.

13. ICONRep

ICONRep Direct Representative Vendor

Member:
    One reason we use the charge port is they hold in the nitrogen better with out leaking down. Schraders tend to leak down over time. A Schrader is easier to fill in some ways (mainly because more people have the tool for this vs the needle fill tool), and we do use these on remote reservoir applications as they are usually easy to get to if a re - charge is required on the vehicle. Now on an IFP coilover, many times the factory mount can make it very tight to use a Schrader with out contacting the mount or for that matter even have the ability to slip a fill chuck over to re-charge. With that said it does make sense to use a charge port so they have less chance of leakage, ultimately keeping performance at its prime with out the worry of low nitrogen levels.

Besides the charge port, which is really not that big a deal, our coilovers are not much different to service than the others. We do sell a $30.00 needle fill tool for charge ports if anyone was looking for an inexpensive option.

To Top