1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon progressive AAL with or without overload spring & airbags?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SunRunner, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Apr 19, 2021 at 4:28 AM
    SunRunner

SunRunner [OP] Rub some dirt on it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    I’m installing 5100 front and back, along with the Icon progressive AAL.

My 3rd Gen OR DC LB is my daily driver. I have an ARE fiberglass cap on the bed and usually carry about 200 lbs of extra weight back there as well.

I read that many people leave the stock overload spring in when adding the Icon AAL. Im looking for a mild lift of about 1.5”. Icon says their AAL achieves this but to remove the overload spring.

My question is, will this diminish my load capacity? I worry about the backend sagging quickly if I add any additional weight.

Also, would airbags in combo with the icon AAL and the overload removed solve any potential sagging concerns when I’m hauling additional weight?

I’m trying to figure out if I’m better off going just with the AAL and overload spring left in, or take out overload spring and add Firestone airbags for a more adjustable rear suspension.

Any thoughts and experiences with a similar setup are appreciated.

sentientprogram likes this.
  2. Apr 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    angerbot

angerbot Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got about 1.5in of lift with the AAL and no overload, running a 120lb RTT and maybe another 100-150 lbs of gear loaded down for camping. With your shell and 200lbs of gear you'll probably be alright but I can't say for sure. Depends how new your existing leaf springs are as well, the AAL is very stiff and doesn't seem to sag as much as the stock springs.

3. Apr 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    Thanks for that. Being that it’s the 3 leaf progressive, I’m just not sure if the rear will be too soft to haul the occasional heavy load without too much sag. Sounds like you’re running similar weights as me. I’ll probably just take out the overload and will see how it goes. Can always add it back and add airbags later.

4. Apr 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    williams63

williams63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    boss-c/o, boss rear leafs
    Are you lifting the front at all with the 5100s?

5. Apr 19, 2021 at 6:08 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    Depends. I didn't get the lift I expected and got a bunch of sag with the Icon AAL. I was about 3/4" nose high after install. I put on an RSi shell after getting the AAL and loaded up the bed this past weekend to go camping and it definitely sagged more than I expected. It was also very nose high. It was enough the wife said we now owned a "bro" truck. For reference my stock leafs have 21K miles on them. When accelerating the back did squat a lot too. I just had the Icon RTX installed today and the truck is now level and there is zero squat when accelerating.

I had a shop do it and they did take the overload spring out per Icon's instructions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  6. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    Not looking for more than an inch for the front with the 5100s.

71tattooguy likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    This is good info here. You’re pretty much describing what I think would happen without the overload leaf. That’s why I’m debating adding the airbags as well. I’m thinking that’ll allow me to remove the overload, get the smoother ride from the progressive aal, and still retain the ability to haul heavier loads by airing up the airbags as needed. This is my first attempt at a suspension upgrade so I’m not sure if that’s a good option for my needs.

8. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    ryan20021982

ryan20021982 Monochrome Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Icon Stage 3 Fuel D726 17x9 -12 Falcon Wildpeak M/T's 285/70/17 Pro style headlights Auxbeam high and low beams Morimoto xb fogs Pro grill Smoked raptor grill lights w/ drl harness from r4t Hidden grill lightbar Anytime camera kit w/ front camera AVS bug deflector AVS window visors Meso ultimate turn signals Winjet smoked tail lights OEM tailgate lock kit Tinted windows APS iArmor Side steps Taco tunes 4ch and subwoofer amp All Kicker speakers Fox acoustics dual 10" box w/ Kicker subs All Meso interior lights Meso chrome interior delete kit Meso door handle covers Meso Stealth Pro shift knob Trd black exhaust tip Demon front hook mounts with hooks Spotter mirror glass Wheelers superbumbs w/ ubolt flip kit Durobumps in the front
    I would do the bags without the overload if I were you. I did the AAL with the overload and it sags pretty good with any weight in the back.

SunRunner[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    williams63

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    I’ll start by saying mine is a 2011 OR DC SB. I put the 3 leaf progressive on mine and kept the overload in. Gave me about 2” in the back and I put 2.5” lift on the front. Kept the rear a little higher than the front. Would level out when I was towing. When I bought my camper and loaded up it would be just a tad lower in the back. So I put Firestone airbags in the back. Only about 5lbs pressure when driving around town and to work or even towing the boat. When I tow the camper I run about 15lbs pressure and it sits level. Been running them for about 4 or 5 years now.

10. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    The three lead progressives are a good improvement over stock and add some lift but are not a good choice for carrying a load or towing. They just don't have the stiffness to support it even with the overload left in. I had a single AAL and it held weight fine but was very, very stiff when empty. The 3 leaf was far more comfortable empty but didn't handle loads well at all. The solution is a full replacement leaf pack designed for the weight from the get go.

11. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    williams63

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    I put a single AAL in when I bought the truck and yes it was stiff. Didn’t like it so then I bought OMD leaf pack, BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY!! I then bought the 3leaf AAL. I didn’t have any plans on towing a camper when I bought it, just wanted a better ride.

12. Apr 20, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    Thanks for the replies guys! I think I’ll just nix the overload leaf and go with the airbags as well. Worst case scenario, I’ll have to tweak it from there.

13. Apr 20, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Vst

Vst IG:@vehiclesupportedtravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kodak, TN
    Vehicle:
    18’ Access cab TRD OFRD 4x4
    I have pretty much the same setup with the topper and some weight. I did the icon 3 leaf and it gave me about .75” of lift with out the overload. I’m running falcon shocks and in the front I got about 1.5” of lift my truck now sits level. My shocks have settings in the rear for when towing or adding weight so for me I haven’t experienced any sag yet.

14. Apr 22, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    taco_boy

taco_boy Antiplastidipper

Member:
    California/Land of the Fee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD On Road MT
    Noob Taco owner
    Currently running 3-AAL with stock overload while awaiting full pack. It's not that bad but doesn't feel as "progressive" as it did without OL leaf, and doesn't doesn't sag with 200 lbs like it previously did.

15. Apr 23, 2021 at 4:55 AM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    yeah, I expect TW ride to be a little more “rigid” than stock. After a little more reading and some more input from people having done something similar, I finally settled on just installing the aal with the stock overload and no airbags. Being it’s a long bed with a fiberglass topper, I’m thinking that just might be what I’m after. Install is Tuesday.

16. May 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    PhenixFord

PhenixFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    Just wondering if you could post an update please.

17. May 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    taco_boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Noob Taco owner
    PXL_20210507_231216497.jpgIcon 3-AAL with stock overload. There's about 200 lb of stuff in the bed. Not bad while I wait for stage 2 Deaver.

71tattooguy and williams63 like this.
  18. May 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    SunRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    So ended up having the icon aal installed with the overload removed. No air bags. I wanted to leave the overload in but the place I took it to did it by the book, and since icon’s instructions call for removing the overload, that’s what they did. So far so good though.

I had the front 5100s set on the 3rd notch, I think that was about 1.5” of lift for that setting. Ended up a little shy of icon’s advertised 1.5” of lift in the rear, but that’s probably expected due to the weight of the shell.

Overall I’m happy with the result. So far, carrying heavier loads doesn’t seem to sag the rear as much as I thought it would without the overload in there. If the springs settle or soften significantly, I’ll add the overload back in

The ride is good. Not much different then stock OR. Maybe a tad firmer, but not without absorbing bumps nicely.
    9CAD50AE-4886-49E6-BC16-BF5E1A18C123.jpg

19. May 11, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    taco_boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Noob Taco owner
    I had the same review when I was running an empty bed but after a little while that thing will squat. I would say it's a good set up if you don't carry any loads in the bed and a good temporary hold till you get full packs.

20. Nov 1, 2022 at 9:59 PM
    Nemesis-dsl

Nemesis-dsl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Trd Sport.
    Hi all. Need some tips. I have the 5100s set at 1.5" with the Icon AAL for 1.5" rear lift. It took away my rake entirely. Had this setup for about 5 months. I do occasional towing of a trailer and about to get some billie bars with a 150lb RTT. Was thinking of upgrading to a Deaver or Icon RXT Stage 2 setup for the load and putting the rake back in. Would you all know if the 5100s in the rear will work ie, will it extend far enough for a new leaf pack that gives say 2" lift unloaded?

Products Discussed in

To Top