1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON UCA & Coilover Pre-Install Checks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by st101, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mar 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM
    st101

st101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi TW friends. Looking to self-install UCAs and Coilovers this coming Friday/Saturday and have spent some time looking through the stickies for tips. They are from ICON and for somebody like me with little prior experience, the instructions they provide are a little over my head (not enough detail & pictures). Have a few questions to ensure I'm not missing anything.

Per the ICON install sticky, a couple of folks said this video gives a good visual overview of what I can expect:

A few questions after watching that video: it seems that I need to have some lubricants on-hand to properly install the parts. Is standard 'wet' lubricant used in some places, and dry lubricant used on others? Want to ensure I order the right supplies before I begin.

I will have access to a hydraulic lift and fairly robust compliment of tools to do the work -- are there any non-standard tools I should have on-hand? I don't know if the shop I'll be in has a grease gun, so I need to check on that.

I understand I'll need to locate a different shop that can help do the alignment, but it shouldn't be a problem to drive in between that time and the install, right?

I appreciate any insight or additional tips!

2. Mar 30, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    st101

Member:
    Sorry to bump -- if somebody could take a look at a couple of the questions I put in my post above, I'd really appreciate it! Looking to get started tomorrow and don't want to get half-way through and realize I don't have something essential on-hand.

3. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    you will want a good lube for the poly bushings, they make stuff just for that so check your autoparts stores. anything with a bushing will get that. the dry lube comes into play with the uniball you dont want to use any wet type lube on that due to it attracting dirt/dust.

it requires all normal tools, but remember some of them are larger then some people have, I dont remember off hand, but i thought there were some 20 or 22mm bolts that i needed a large wrench for. not everybody has wrenches up to that size.

oh and yes you will need to get an alignment, i would do your best to get it close with a tape measure then drive it a few days to let the suspension settle, then get an alignment.

4. Mar 31, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    st101

Member:
    Thanks -- I'll head out to get the bushing lubricant today. Lot of other threads advise not putting any lubricant on the uniball -- I live in California at the moment and don't have to deal with really nasty weather. I did order the ICON uniball covers though, so I'll put those on next week.

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    paranoid56

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    yea you dont want to put any wet lube, but if you read the directions it will say what kind of try lube it likes :D

6. Mar 31, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    paranoid56

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
  7. Apr 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    REDdawn6

REDdawn6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Use some Wd40 on the coilover threads, will help adjusting them and not to damage them. Adjust with wheels off ground.
    This last time, I un did the ball joints, Uca, supported the spindle with wire. Remove, replace. I had help, it was not bad. You are changing the Uca, once out, you have shit load of room.

Products Discussed in

To Top