1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon vs. 5100/OME Setup

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mhshark, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Nov 16, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    mhshark

mhshark [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    Newbie question for y’all:
    I drive a 2017 TRDOR. I was loooking at going with the bilstein/ OME kit from headstrong. With UCAs and 3 leaf AAL.
    I have a lead on Icon front Coilovers and rear shocks off a Stage 2 setup. They would run me around $1000. I still would need to buy the UCAs and AAL.
    Icon setup all together would be around $1600 and the Bilstein kit from HS is around $1100. Do you think it is worth it to splurge on the Icons? I don’t take the truck Offroad much and commute 50 miles a day. Most OR driving will be fireroads and maybe some hairier trails but nothing too crazy.
    TL;DR: If you could get an Icon Stage 2 over a Bilstein/OME setup for $500 more would you?

And inb4 people tell me to search I did and didn’t find a detailed thread on this comparison. Hopefully this can help others in a similar situation

2. Nov 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Are you gonna wheel? How many miles are on the ICON's. Only thing that has ever steered me away from adjustable Coilovers is the corrosion they would get from the lovely New England salt belt.

3. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    mhshark

mhshark [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    Gonna wheel lightly, mostly fire roads and some light trails. 5k on the Icons. No salt here in Cali!

4. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Icons are built for go-fast offroading. Digressive valving meaning they get softer the faster you go. Otherwise they can feel stiff. Some people see it as an issue, some don't. If your truck is more of a DD and occasional wheeler, I'd look into Kings, or maybe a Toytec coilover setup if you're looking for something a little less expensive than Kings/Icons. Those will feel softer on the street than the Icons likely will.

Otherwise, the Bilsteins will be sufficient. I had those on for a year and wheeled them pretty hard and they rode great for what they are. Honestly, the Kings I switched to feel stiffer but that's likely due to the heavier springs.

5. Nov 16, 2017 at 9:04 PM
    DRAWN

DRAWN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 QUICKSAND AC SR5 4X4
    Sliders, 6112's, full skids.
    Both Icons and 5100 are digressive. It's not what you want for high speed off-road. Been wheeling with the 5100's for 6 months now, they offer impressive performance considering they're the some of the cheapest adjustuble shocks.

6. Nov 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    O3 Rubicon wrangler
    Frankenstein lift, warn winch, heavy rear bumper swing out
    I got icons my my 2nd gen its a my DD 52 mi commute one way to work. I’m very pleased with them soak up washboard roads,potholes, and speed bumps like butter. Plus they are rebuildable. Kept my stock struts with a spacer on them for when that time comes currently have about 20k no issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top