1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icons BLOWN after 1800 miles and rear shock blown with 10k miles

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by wtfpenguin, May 21, 2018.

1. May 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    wtfpenguin

wtfpenguin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 + 2013 MGM Taco 4x4 OR
    Bought these from a member who had 6000 miles on them, perfectly clean, never off roaded. I took the truck on some fire roads about 1800 miles and the front are both blown!

I had to take the truck back to the shop I had install them (originally $450 for front and rear) remove them $150, install my stock suspension $150, ship them back to icon $60 and they said I had too much preload! I had less than 3 inch of lift and they advertise the shocks 1-3'' of lift. Had them reinstalled another $300 with "correct" preload, gives me 1.5 of lift in the front and looks like shit with 35s. Mounting brackets rusted out after 6 months. I live SF Bay Area where it doesn't snow and I don't take my truck to the snow more than one weekend per month.

Fast forward 8200 miles now I've got a rear shock leaking! I don't put anything in the bed even.

I call Icon several times, left voicemails and they never call me back. They did respond to an email and said I need the original receipt for purchase for a warranty claim. To add insult to injury they blocked me from their instagram page!

Terrible customer service, terrible products, I wish I went with kings, bilstein or fox. Thought spending $2500+ on suspension would get me something decent. Instead, I wasted $1050 on labor, $60 for shipping and I'm going to have to spend another $3000 to get a quality product like kings.

Very disappointed in Icon and hope other forum members can see this thread to avoid the headache of poor quality parts and customer service that I have gone through.

iRep8OH8 likes this.
  2. May 21, 2018 at 11:57 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    damn man that sucks. Mine have been trouble free. Did you take any pics?

3. May 22, 2018 at 12:38 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    This can happen with any brand and to blame icon for the situation is wrong. You bought them used without a warranty. They have no obligation to help you.

4. May 22, 2018 at 1:31 AM
    Santa Cruzin

Santa Cruzin Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 4.0 DCSB
    Sounds like the person you bought them off might have told a little lie lol , not icons fault

5. May 22, 2018 at 1:42 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Sounds like you took a gamble on used parts. If you wanted icon to do something about it I'd imagine a smart man like yourself would have purchased them new so as to retain a warranty. Your only history on them is verbal so who knows. I know mine are seven years old and just got their first rebuild and are good as new once again. And I'm lifted near 2.5", rides like a cloud. Performance products often come with less tolerance and more frequent service intervals, you know the whole candle that burns twice as bright addage, if they were stored improperly you might run into issues like this.

6. May 22, 2018 at 1:42 AM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Icon ext travel reservoirs front and rear on now for about 75K miles, and the front are cranked way up. Bout to send em in for a rebuild just to freshen them up, but zero issues whatsoever. Maybe the PO sold you some busted shocks.

Lesson learned. Buy new parts of you want a warranty.

sierra141 likes this.
  7. May 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Icon_Adrian

Icon_Adrian Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Icon Bypasses & Coilovers Long Travel Front & Rear Supercharged 3.4L
    @wtfpenguin
    I apologize if you have not been able to get a hold of anyone in our office. It gets busy throughout the day but feel free to give me a call directly.
    951-689-4266 Ext.120
    Talk to you soon
    -Adrian-

Products Discussed in

To Top