1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas on Where to Mount a Machete?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by The Traveler, Oct 17, 2012.

1. The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
    THIS IS STRICTLY A NOVELTY ITEM

So I purchased a pretty sweet machete today from ZombieResponseTeam.net. It's engraved with the motto "To Protect and Sever".

I'm having brain farts trying to figure out how I would mount it when it arrives. As far as legality in CA, it is legal to carry a machete or any fixed blade as long as it is not concealed or within reach of the driver's control. So either the back seat somewhere, or in the bed. Remember, I have a Bestop so it's not exactly secure.

The only option I see so far is somehow mounted to the back window. But even then, I keep seeing horrifying images of me rear-ending somebody or hitting a wall and having that thing come flying at the back of my head.

Any ideas or suggestions where to mount as well as how? Thanks :)

Photo for size reference. It comes with a sheath as well.

[​IMG]

2. tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    Are.you.serious.

3. The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Saint Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Access Cab
    I like the cut of your jib but have no idea where I'd mount that.

My old car had a compartment forward of the shifter that was perfect for my handgun. Still trying to figure out where to carry it in my truck (legal in my state).

4. Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    [​IMG]

mount it here.

5. tinker_troy

tinker_troy I feel so Devo

Member:
  6. NMW 4x4

NMW 4x4 Wheels With Moose.

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Presque Isle, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Legality aside, I'd store it either underneath the drivers seat or in the space between the drivers seat and the center console. Nobody is going to see it under the drivers seat, so it's not only easily accessible, but it's also concealed.

7. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
    It needs to be in an open carry location. I'm thinking of fabbing up a vertical mount that will mount between the front passenger and rear passenger doors on the interior, behind the seat belt.

8. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Is it for cutting grass?

9. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Somewhere low and secure. You absolutely do not want that thing flying around the cab in the event of an accident...

10. Ahshiet

Ahshiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 MG Sport DC 4x4
    Set #1 16x10 ion alloy wheel 31x12.5 super swampers Set#2 17x9 KMC Diesel black 305/65/17 M/T ATZ baja Set#3 TRD offroad wheels painted wrinkle black with H/T tire 275/70/16 Set#4 Weld racing 16x12 Typhoon with 305/70/16 BF KO tires Set#5 Weld racing 16.5x12 36x16 fun country Set#6 TRD rugged edition wheels 305/75/16 baja claws Set#7 16x10 procomp steel "beadlooks" 33x12.50 TSL Boggers Spider track spacers in front Wet Okole black seat covers fronts with pockets,back and armrest HIDs high Lexus projector fogs h11 hid 3500k Toyota bed mat black trd exhaust Fujita intake black Xrunner badges carbon fiber door sills Alpine double din 2 8" bazookas (modded) 2 Alpine type-r 8's in tubes Rockford fosgate 1500w silverstar blinker bulbs front and back Led lic plate bulbs Led dome light Led map lights Black eBay headlights VHT night shade tails and 3rd brake light Custom made rear fog lights(next to 3rd brake light) Sticker bombed bed walls and pass. A-pill
    What about a headliner gun rack with proper mounts to secure

11. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    ...yes :spy:

I agree...Another option I just thought of is against the bottom of the back bench seat, mounted to the carpet on the outside of the underseat storage bins. It's low and legal...and easily accessible. I don't carry passengers in the back seat often, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Even that is too risky for me. I'd rather have a gun come loose from that mount during an accident than a machete.

12. oldstick

oldstick Middle Age Member

Member:
    Ummmm

I'm thinking in the backseat storage compartments, legal or not.....

Then when it rusts throw it away, unless you plan to use it for it's intended purpose as a brush clearing tool.

:D:D

13. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    First post edited to avoid any confusion :rolleyes:

I'm building a ZRU truck, and I thought this would be a neat novelty addition. But I also wanted to keep it legal, and functional.

14. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Mount it across the cowl like a hi lift on a Jeep.:D

15. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    And decapitate the kids in the minivan that cut me off? :eek:

16. hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I got a really nice machette from Smokey Mountain Knife Works, 1095 carbon steel, made in the US. Will hold a fantastic edge, but too nice to leave sitting in the bed of a truck. The sheath alone was more expensive than a cheap one with sheath from HF.

Howard

17. TheSmash133

TheSmash133 Cruise

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5
    X-D Series Black Rims 12 in sub Amp Super 44 Flowmaster Dual exhaust K&N airfilter Tint Tanneua Snug top Side Steps Blacked out Emblems and lower valence Bright white interior lights Blue dome light Retrofitted Mini H1's and morimoto X-B Halo.....
    Wow.......

18. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Oh stfu, Mike...I can always count on you to bring absolutely nothing to a thread :rolleyes:

19. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    My guess is that this machete is not really a top notch tool, right? I would file the edge dead dull so there was no chance of cutting anything. That way you will have more options on where to mount it for display. If you actually need a machete, get a good one, keep it razor sharp, and keep it someplace safe.

By the way, using a machete is no joke. I use them all the time and they can be extermely dangerous. I don't let anybody near me when I'm clearing with it. A glancing blade can lay open your thigh before you know what happened.

20. The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    It wont be permanent, I just want a place to put when I want to take it with me/take pics, etc. Besides window decals, this is the first novelty item I've bought for my truck. I'm all about function over form when it comes to my rig.

I agree 100%. I've used them many times myself, and I know how dangerous they are. I like the idea of dulling it down, but then again it's still a blunt object that may potentially come loose. I think under the back seat behind the ankles would be a great place for a mount, because I can put the novelty one there, and a real machete if I ever need to bring one with me on my camping/wheeling trips.

To Top