1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas to start 99 TRD project

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by luke99, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    luke99

luke99 [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco, SR5 TRD
    Hey everybody, I'm new to the tacoma world as of today. I have a couple of Toyota junkie buddies so naturally I bought a 99 extend cab TRD tacoma.its got auto trans and 4wd with the e locker. Its basically stock with a leveling kit (just the hockey puck spacers...) and a intake. I have a pretty decent budget of a couple thousand to throw at this thing and maybe more depending on how much I like what you suggest.

Now what i want is a truck that will still roll down the highway but will do great off road. I don't need it to be a full on rock crawler or prerunner but i do want a kick a** taco that i can beat the hell out of and it will take it like a champ.

What should I do to this thing?

2. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, 31" tires, Michelin LTX AT2, stock gears, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    Verify that the locker works :D .
    Install more skid plates, sliders, CB, and a recovery point in the back.
    Your truck will do great with very few mods.

3. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    luke99

luke99 [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco, SR5 TRD
    locker works great, skids are a given and sliders are gonna get welded up in a week. I know these things are great stock but i've got a budget and don't mind putting in some work so what more should I do?

4. Aug 26, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastham Mass
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl cab Silver
    Bilstein 5100's, eibach coils, u bolt flip, Dakars/d6xl, Ome shackles, Poly sway bar bush, Poly rack bush, voltmeter, led guage lights, magnaflow stainless catback, stainless cats, deckplate mod, afe filter, tundra brakes,PIAA fogs behind grillecraft, color matched grille, soft topper, Projector retrofit, Allpro bumper , Blitzpro light bars, Alpine/ rock fosgate sound system, 35% tint, Some derped stuff
    Old man emu lift with new springs/ shocks front and back? Arb front bumper? 32's? magnaflow muffler? Led dash lights? Sounds like your on a mission to make a badass taco!

To Top