1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idle issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ohiotacoma96, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    ohiotacoma96

ohiotacoma96 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Well today I finally went outside and decided to try and start my Tacoma that was given to me. Mind you the truck had not been started in over 3 yrs (the previous owner lent the truck out to a friend and she brought it back on a flatbed with a burnt clutch),It's a 2.4l 2wd ext cab. I replaced the battery, added some fresh fuel topped off with coolant and I could not believe she fired right up..lol Well I noticed when cold she idled at around 2k rpm... when she got to operating temp the idles goes up and down from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm 1500 to 2000 constantly and NO check engine light!. I opened up the air box and to my surprise the filter was trashed almost if it were turned into some type of nest..lol anyways I cleaned it all up and purchased a new air filter but the problem still persists. I have checked the vacuum hoses and even sprayed starting fluid on them to check for any leaks but nothing. Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to the import truck scene and no nothing about them..lol Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.
    Jose

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    maybe try seafoaming the motor........also clean the throttle body....along with the maf sensor. if the problem still happens, im gonna lean toward the iac valve(idle air control)..........you can take it off and clean it as well. just get a new gasket for it.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top