1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idler Pulleys / Tensioner Pulley / Serpentine Belt

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CIAGDDS, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2015 at 6:52 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Glad someone revived this thread. The canaries have been getting pretty upset under my hood on cold morning starts. Looks like I've got another project in the next few weeks.

Crom likes this.
  2. Apr 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    Flugelhornjazz

Flugelhornjazz '06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    06' 4.0L 4x4 6sp MT Access
    AFE CAI, all synth fluids, 2.5" exhaust w/ FlowMaster, Optima Deep Cycle battery, Fog mod, SnugTop cap, HID headlights, silicone hoses
    I also just replaced all 3 pulleys, the tensioner, H2O pump, thermostat & housing, and serp belt...'06 Access 4x4 4.0L 6-speed, 130,000 miles...the motor developed an oil leak around the timing cover. I did not want to drop the oil pan and timing cover in the driveway myself, so I had the stealer replace all the gaskets. They also found another issue and replaced the head gaskets. It made sense to replace the water pump, thermo, pulleys, tensioner, and belt while everything was apart so I gave them the Gates parts I had already purchased and they did the entire repair. I am going to get 300K out of this Taco if it kills me!!!

Manfred, 617mike9c1 and Crom like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    bradleyswine

bradleyswine Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I replaced the pulleys and not the belt tensioner arm at about 100,000 miles. Now at 150,000 I replaced the belt a second time and the tensioner arm has worn enough that the new belt would ride in towards the engine resulting in the new belt losing the edge of the belt on the side of the engine. That little strip of belt that came off of the belt got sucked into the new main seal that I had just replaced 2 weeks prior. The new seal was ruined. My suggestion is to replace that tensioner arm at about 100,000 miles. I wrote a post here on the forums.

4. Apr 30, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    ^ I think that's a case by case basis. I'm on my 3rd belt with 162k miles (10 1/2 years) and the pulleys are still stock with no issues whatsoever (no squeaking and no belt issues). Still on original water pump too.

Crom likes this.
  5. May 7, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    atv550man

atv550man New Member

Member:

How much did it coast the whole repair?

I do have little leak around timing cover.. Plus I have to take it in hour to a dealer to replace transmission seal and shaft.. That would be around 800$.. I'm honestly disappointed in myTacoma.. It's 2007 with 115k miles and parts falling a part.. Plus I need to replace engine belt not sure about the pulleys and all other crap..

6. May 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Not sure what other problems you have had and I can understand about the trans seal but honestly replacing your engine belt at 115K is not bad plus it's just good insurance to do it anyways. Back in the day cars had 2 or 3 belts and the belts would never make it to 100K

7. Jan 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    udelslayer

udelslayer Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco 2wd 5AT
    OMGWTFBBQIDGAFLOL!!!

Its the end of the world again. The temp finally dropped below 40 and since I drive at night, I instantly encountered the dreaded squeak orchestra again. I have put 4 belts on this truck and none stay silent below 40f after they've had a summer run. I've replaced the upper pulley twice, tensioner twice and belt four times. I'm getting a squeak/squeal that matches with revolutions to the belt. I can't tell if its because there is a spot on the belt that perhaps "hops" when cold and stiff. It takes 10 miles for it to seriously quiet down, but now my DD is 7 miles.

I'm now going to replace the lower pulley with Dayco 89503. I only realized that the daycoproducts website has exact specs and pics of their parts so you can confirm. You can find the tensioner pulley from there without having to pay for the spring arm. I think I'm going to get a OEM belt too (it was much nicer quality than the replicas). I've never had a vehicle with so much squeeeeeek.

8. Jan 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    So yourself a favor and buy a mechanics stethoscope kit, Lisle makes a good one, made in USA for less than $20 on Amazon.
    It comes with two attachments one for detecting air noise and another for vibration it works excellent. Good luck!

9. Jan 11, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    LnL

LnL Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Seabrook, TX
    I THOUGHT that I was going to need to replace a pulley and/or tensioner. I saw somebody (different, but related thread) mention that just changing the belt solved their noise, so decided to give that a shot first.

No noise! It has been a week, and even on cold & wet mornings there is no noise from the belt. I used the 3yr. warranty belt from Autozone.

It was a sunny day, so let the belt sit in the sun for awhile to make it a bit more pliable. Used a 5mm hex wrench as "pin" to hold the tensioner in the "loose" position while I snaked the belt on.

I checked all the pulleys while the belt was off, and they all felt fine. The old belt was worn and stretched, obviously longer than the new belt - I think it was just now too long for the tensioner to give it enough preload, and that was the cause of the squeal.

119,000 miles on the truck, and I believe the belt was original. I suspect the spark plugs are also original, so that will be the next project...

10. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    tacomawhite

tacomawhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner White
    Sub'd. I'm at 181k. Just changed the original belt at around 135k. Got a bit of noise in the morning, especially when it's cool so going to tackle this shortly. Valuable thread!

11. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Clean the area behind the power steering pump, on the timing cover. Use Permatex Mr. Gasket 1 minute gasket maker, and rub it into the mating surfaces with your finger. Leak no more.

File off just a few thousandths from the power steering pump's top bolt hole, where it presses between the timing cover and head. So that it snuggly slides in and doesn't force the timing cover away from the head. Problem fixed. Unless you really do want to pull the timing cover, to reseal. Still perform the filing to the power steering unit.

Also, I am using the Gates Racing serpentine belt if anyone is interested. However some will not, since it has one less rib than factory. Two of us have been using them for nearly two years straight. If anyone is interested.

Crom and Lester Lugnut like this.
  12. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    R0dzilla75

R0dzilla75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
    I may try this. Not interested in tearing down my rig to fix such a slow leak but this seems doable. Thanks.

13. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I have a timing cover getting prepped to re-install on another engine of mine. I can take a picture of the area that is the reason for the leak. Two part problem.

Crom, Lester Lugnut and R0dzilla75 like this.
  14. Feb 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  15. Feb 8, 2016 at 8:39 PM
    gthupman

gthupman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB Super White Offroad
  16. Feb 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Sorry for the delay in getting these pictures. I'll post them elsewhere as well. Not sure why I never took pictures prior to now, but at least now I have them and can share them.

Here are the two machined locations, on the mating surface of the timing cover, in the location of where the power steering pump resides. As well as where the tsb fix is for.

20160214_170246_zpsbtc8evyu_5580fde6f542aeb8988d681362f2af603c31eb7d.jpg

20160214_170344_zps20lltzu7_71fea7b996403c4ba5828f918489d6698ca773ff.jpg

Here you can clearly see how the mating surface is not even. The first picture is of the gap closest to the top of the timing cover. The second and third pictures are the next slot a little lower.

20160214_170448_zpsmot84rnf_dbb20ca24646ac52abf388cdfa81ef164df17836.jpg

20160214_170531_zpssequtamy_e6f5cf8c1d48f53076f981834fd8dbf1f54eb374.jpg

20160214_170536_zpspqjovlam_fd80d4057a6d88f1bc07e8d5944faa773ee9b468.jpg

R0dzilla75 and Crom like this.
  17. Sep 18, 2016 at 10:30 AM
    Dilleytech

Dilleytech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jakob
    White salmon, Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 4x4
    Front ARB bumper, LR UCA's, OME 885/90021 struts, Ome shocks rear, general springs HD leaf pack.
    Reviving this thread a little. I have a chirp chirp chirp coming from the front end at times. Sounds like a bearing to me. It's kinda random. At times its present and times its completely silent temperatures donts seem to have any effect. Pulley? Belt? It's a high pitch chirp.

18. Jun 12, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    VikingTrad3r

VikingTrad3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "contractor model" white with black fenders
    Bumping the thread. I ordered the gates kit off of Rockauto and i chose to order the kit that included the entire tensioner assembly.

after seeing how fast a job this is without replacing the entire tensioner assembly, i opted to take the pulley off the new tensioner assembly and put it on the old one. but it stuck out too far and i was uncomfortable with it.

so i put the original pulley back on. the original pulley from the tensioner assembly was smooth as silk even after 177k miles. if anybody has a solution for this pulley swap that'd be great. i don't see how it could work. come to think of it though i didn't try turning it around backwards. that may have dealt with the offset.

also fyi, the bushings that come with this kit, i chose to put the busing on the front side of the pulley. that way, they offset wasn't changed on teh pulley. i don't think i saw that anywhere in teh thread so far. but my first try was putting the bushing on the backside fo the pully up against the mounting post but it caused the pulley to stick out an 1/8th of an inch and i didn't like how close the belt was to the back of the pulley.

as far as results, all i can say is WOWOWOOWOWOW.

my truck sounds as quiet as a new truck now. well worth the very small amount of effort. i put my car up on ramps and dropped the skid plate (repainted it with black rustoleum while it was off) and this is a really fast and inexpensive job in your driveway. my truck sounded like a bunch or rattle cans and there was also a whine that i thought was the power steering pump but nope! it was the pulleys.

19. Jul 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona Red AC 4WD
    Replaced my belt and the 3 idler pulleys today, this guide helped. A tip: if you are doing this without a torque wrench, make sure NOT to over tighten the center pulley bolts. You'll prevent the pulley from being able to rotate. If a pulley is seized, you'll hear the belt squeaking across it and will smell burning rubber. Ask me how I know.

I do have a question though, when I went to reinstall the tensioner pulley with #36174, the bolt seemed too short? Anyone else experience something similar? The bolt didn't seem to have enough threads showing to thread into the mount. For now, I've just reused the old tensioner pulley. I will take a look at it again tomorrow.

20. Jul 2, 2017 at 1:20 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    @VikingTrad3r - The bearing in the tensioner pulley is replaceable - the size is 17X40X17.5 (ID X OD X Width); I installed a Nachi 5203-2NS.

@BlackBeerd - The 36174 pulley is meant to replace the double-wide pulley next to the AC, No. 1 Idler is what Toyota calls it. The bearing is wider than the OEM pulley; that's why the bolt is not long enough. You either need to buy a longer bolt, which is very difficult to find a reverse-threaded replacement; use pulley from a new tensioner assembly; or re-use the OEM pulley and replace the bearing, as mentioned above.

Left is old; right is the new bearing.

Crom and Nickel like this.
To Top